Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 am

I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie at the cinama i loved it just as good as the first one.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:55 am

rocknroller wrote:I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie at the cinama i loved it just as good as the first one.

I enjoyed A Game of Shadows, too -- thankfully, Downey. Jr. hasn't outlived his welcome in playing the Holmes character, nor has Guy Ritchie's approach fallen entirely foul of being a one joke affair, or succumbing to the, occassional, heavy-handedness that creeps in.

I very much liked Jared Harris' turn as Professor Moriarty, and found Stephen Fry's Mycroft to be an ample source of comic relief during some of the more stern moments. Noomi Rapace offered little in her role, but had little to play with, although it will be interesting to see how her career in English language cinema develops -- she was marvellous in The Millenium Trilogy!

The film's art direction was also very good -- better than the first, I thought; whilst Hans Zimmer's splendid score remains in tact, but a shade darker in places. And the plotting was brisk enough, keeping in tune with Holmes' hectoring from city-to-city on the heels of his arch nemesis.

Good stuff, IMO. And I'm greatly looking forward to season 2 of the BBC's Sherlock.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:14 am

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:I went to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie at the cinama i loved it just as good as the first one.

I enjoyed A Game of Shadows, too -- thankfully, Downey. Jr. hasn't outlived his welcome in playing the Holmes character, nor has Guy Ritchie's approach fallen entirely foul of being a one joke affair, or succumbing to the, occassional, heavy-handedness that creeps in.

I very much liked Jared Harris' turn as Professor Moriarty, and found Stephen Fry's Mycroft to be an ample source of comic relief during some of the more stern moments. Noomi Rapace offered little in her role, but had little to play with, although it will be interesting to see how her career in English language cinema develops -- she was marvellous in The Millenium Trilogy!

The film's art direction was also very good -- better than the first, I thought; whilst Hans Zimmer's splendid score remains in tact, but a shade darker in places. And the plotting was brisk enough, keeping in tune with Holmes' hectoring from city-to-city on the heels of his arch nemesis.

Good stuff, IMO. And I'm greatly looking forward to season 2 of the BBC's Sherlock.

Spot on with everything you wrote greystoke (as always) Jared Harris was fantastic as moriarty ! very scary at times.im also looking forward to season 2 of the BBC's Sherlock although season 1 will be a tough act to follow.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:50 am

rocknroller wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Spot on with everything you wrote greystoke (as always) Jared Harris was fantastic as moriarty ! very scary at times.im also looking forward to season 2 of the BBC's Sherlock although season 1 will be a tough act to follow.

It will be interesting to see how the treatment of The Final Problem on the BBC compares to what Ritchie done. More so, perhaps, I'm keen to see what's done with The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:16 am

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
greystoke wrote:

It will be interesting to see how the treatment of The Final Problem on the BBC compares to what Ritchie done. More so, perhaps, I'm keen to see what's done with The Hound of the Baskervilles.
I'm very interest in the hound of the baskervilles works out myself as its my fav sherlock holmes story.

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:04 pm

I saw A Game of Shadows for a second time last night, and it stood up well on a repeat viewing, despite quite a large plot hole I picked up on first time around.

I was, however, a tad underwhelmed by the IMAX preview for The Dark Knight Rises. Not that the scene used wasn't deftly handled or spectacular to behold - the mid-air hijack of a plane - but, as a showpiece for a movie with such anticipation riding on it?!

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was good, however -- although, my overall feeling is that the film was a shade uneven. The ambition of the picture was huge, and Tom Cruise remains ideally cast in the lead, bringing a superb physical performance to a demanding role. His stunt work is outstanding, and the climb outside the Burj Khalifa is surely among the most extraordinary scenes in modern cinema. What the film lacked, was a counter-personality that was a match for Cruise as the villain of the piece, whilst a leaner script and tighter plotting may have maintained an intesity that occassionally lagged. But, during its better moments, Ghost Protocol thrills and grips tight, and affords just a touch of well-considered pathos.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Went the cinema today to see Goon sooooooooo funny.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:48 am

The past few weeks I've seen The Iron Lady, War Horse, Ghostbusters and - for the second time - The Artist, which stands up superbly on a repeat viewing. The Iron Lady boasts a fine central performance by Meryl Streep and great support by Olivia Colman and Jim Broadbent, but the plotting is thin and episodic. Still, it was never less than watchable and doesn't outstay its welcome. War Horse was also episodic, with many characters fleeting within the narrative, which is brisk but only occasionally engaging, IMO. There are moments of brilliance, in particular a horseback charge that's reminiscent of Ran, and a compelling battle scene in the trenches of the Somme. Yet, parts of the film are uneven, with interesting characters being written out too soon, and maudlin plot strands outliving their welcome before they're fully realised. Furthermore, the French and German characters speak English, complete with accents appropriate to their native tongue -- this strips some of the film's authenticity. Whilst a colour palette right out of Gone With the Wind is surely a warm homage, but feels heavy-handed. Ultimately, War Horse is a good film, but not a frontrunner among the season's best.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 am

I saw UNDERWOLD AWAKENING last night , fun film. NEXT WEEK THE LEGEND BEGINGS IN 3D!!! STAR WARS!!!!

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:46 pm

CHR1S wrote:I saw UNDERWOLD AWAKENING last night , fun film. NEXT WEEK THE LEGEND BEGINGS IN 3D!!! STAR WARS!!!!

I thought Underworld: Awakening was completely dire, even though it's getting some of the best notice of the series -- in fact, it's being called the best of the series in some quarters. But I found it sorely lacking, with very few redeeming moments.

I am looking forward to seeing Star Wars back on the big screen, especially IMAX. I'm not a fan of Episodes 1 - 3, however, but think The Phantom Menace was the best of the newer films and that it may be worth revisiting.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:15 pm

greystoke wrote:
CHR1S wrote:I saw UNDERWOLD AWAKENING last night , fun film. NEXT WEEK THE LEGEND BEGINGS IN 3D!!! STAR WARS!!!!

I thought Underworld: Awakening was completely dire, even though it's getting some of the best notice of the series -- in fact, it's being called the best of the series in some quarters. But I found it sorely lacking, with very few redeeming moments.

I am looking forward to seeing Star Wars back on the big screen, especially IMAX. I'm not a fan of Episodes 1 - 3, however, but think The Phantom Menace was the best of the newer films and that it may be worth revisiting.

I liked Underwolrd films for what they are, fanstasy action films. On the other hand Star Wars in a huge thing. I love those films but only saw episode III in cinemas and I always wondered if there ever was a way to see them all on the big screen, guess I got my wish.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 am

I went to see the grey in the cinema today,good movie but it leaves you rather down ! i think i will stick to feal good movies after this.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:21 pm

In a rather desparate need to get out of the house this week, I wandered down and saw Chronicle, thinking I was actually going to see something which was trashy but "forget things" for 90 minutes. I was actually very impressed. The hand-held shaky camera side of things isn't good when you head is already spinning, but other than that it was well-scripted, brilliantly acted and directed. The finale is perhaps a litle OTT, but great entertainment all in all.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 am

poormadpeter wrote:In a rather desparate need to get out of the house this week, I wandered down and saw Chronicle, thinking I was actually going to see something which was trashy but "forget things" for 90 minutes. I was actually very impressed. The hand-held shaky camera side of things isn't good when you head is already spinning, but other than that it was well-scripted, brilliantly acted and directed. The finale is perhaps a litle OTT, but great entertainment all in all.

I wasn't particularly taken by the trailer, but there's been no lack of positivity for Chronicle.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 am

Went to see Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D with the kids last night,great efects & enjoyed the 3D but movie very poor,but the kids loved it.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 am

rocknroller wrote:Went to see Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D with the kids last night,great efects & enjoyed the 3D but movie very poor,but the kids loved it.

I enjoyed it, too. I found it to be a good natured film with likeable performances. The Rock and Michael Caine had a great rapport and Vanessa Hudgens was well cast. The special effects were, mostly, excellent, and although the plotting was trite and contrived, the brisk pace helped considerably. In fact, other than The Rock's rendition of What a Wonderful World, it barely paused for breath.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:53 pm

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D with the kids last night,great efects & enjoyed the 3D but movie very poor,but the kids loved it.

I enjoyed it, too. I found it to be a good natured film with likeable performances. The Rock and Michael Caine had a great rapport and Vanessa Hudgens was well cast. The special effects were, mostly, excellent, and although the plotting was trite and contrived, the brisk pace helped considerably. In fact, other than The Rock's rendition of What a Wonderful World, it barely paused for breath.

Not being a big fan of the rock i kinda struggled with his part in the movie,it was not the same for me without brendan fraser.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:05 am

Just watched Eloy de la Iglesia's 1985 version of Turn of The Screw, with the twist in this version being that the "governess" is a male teacher. Probably the best version I have seen of the oft-told story, aside from The Innocents. It has a genuinely menacing atmosphere, and certainly has a more sexualised undercurrent than The Innocents, but that's hardly surprising considering de la Iglesia's work in general. This is aided and abetted by the fact that the "Miles" character is actually about 14 here and the homosexual undertones between him and the teacher are both uncomfortable and yet compelling. But there is nothing explicit here in the way there is in some of his other films

This is not an easy film to find by any means, but lovers of "unsafe" cinema could do worse than take a punt on one of Iglesia's films. Most of his films have gay undercurrents, with Colegas from 1982 being perhaps the most accessible to a viewer unaquainted with his movies.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Just watched Eloy de la Iglesia's 1985 version of Turn of The Screw, with the twist in this version being that the "governess" is a male teacher. Probably the best version I have seen of the oft-told story, aside from The Innocents. It has a genuinely menacing atmosphere, and certainly has a more sexualised undercurrent than The Innocents, but that's hardly surprising considering de la Iglesia's work in general. This is aided and abetted by the fact that the "Miles" character is actually about 14 here and the homosexual undertones between him and the teacher are both uncomfortable and yet compelling. But there is nothing explicit here in the way there is in some of his other films

This is not an easy film to find by any means, but lovers of "unsafe" cinema could do worse than take a punt on one of Iglesia's films. Most of his films have gay undercurrents, with Colegas from 1982 being perhaps the most accessible to a viewer unaquainted with his movies.

That's a good film, and one that thrives on a visual creativity that works well in tandem with the many underlying subtexts. It's certainly daring cinema, although I do prefer The Innocents -- but, as you've commented, it's also challenging cinema, and I love that.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 pm

I watched Delmer Daves' splendid, and quite underrated Kings Go Forth earlier tonight. This really is a marvellous film, that was lost somewhat amidst the release of several bona fide classics that starred the film's two leads, Frank Sinatra and Tony Curtis. Kings Go Forth was released in 1958, a year after The Sweet Smell of Success, The Joker is Wild and Pal Joey, the same year as The Vikings, Some Came Running and The Defiant Ones, and a year before Some Like It Hot. Yet, it boasts some of Sinatra and Curtis's finest acting, along with a poignant story and great location shooting in the south of France.

Natalie Wood co-stars, and plays Monique, the love interest of Sinatra's Sam Loggins -- that is, until Curtis's Britt Harriss proves more endearing and alluring. Sinatra's performance is excellent here, as he playes a passive character who allows Curtis's younger, more brash and confident counterpart to whisk away the young, beautiful Monique. The setting is near the end of World War II, during the infrequently discussed Champagne Campaign, where both Sinatra and Curtis's characters are involved in action.

Curtis is just brilliant in a quite difficult role, as is Wood, whose Monique is the counter-point to the relationship between Sinatra and Curtis's characters, especially when she reveals more of herself than any of the two men are prepared to deal with. In many ways, it's brilliant cinema; superbly played and never overcooked despite the potential for melodrama. There's a strong subtext and message here, and it's told well without preaching.

Other plus-points are splendid black and white photography and a wonderful, charismatic, yet understated score by Elmer Bernstein.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 am

Batman Red Hood 4/6.......good

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:10 pm

While I can see why its been nominated for best cinematography at the upcoming Academy Awards I've tried a couple of time to watch "Tree Of Life" and I'm having difficulty getting in to it. Watched both "The Descendants" and "The Iron Lady" today. While "The Descendants" is a 'better' movie I thought Meryl Streep has done a terrific job as Thatcher. Hope she picks up the Oscar. It's been a bit of a movie weekend, watched "Flaming Star" on Saturday and also "The Help".

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Julian Grant wrote:While I can see why its been nominated for best cinematography at the upcoming Academy Awards I've tried a couple of time to watch "Tree Of Life" and I'm having difficulty getting in to it. Watched both "The Descendants" and "The Iron Lady" today. While "The Descendants" is a 'better' movie I thought Meryl Streep has done a terrific job as Thatcher. Hope she picks up the Oscar. It's been a bit of a movie weekend, watched "Flaming Star" on Saturday and also "The Help".

I enjoyed The Tree of Life tremendously, and would haste to call it a certain masterpiece -- it's one of my favourite films of the past year, and one of the year's best, IMO. The cinematography here is truly terrific, as is Terrence Malick's direction, for which he is also Oscar nominated -- along with the film, itself. Brad Pitt has been overlooked, however; not that his nod for Moneyball isn't wholly deserving, because he was excellent there. But I thought he would have been double-nominated this year, because he finds new depths as an actor in The Tree of Life, and does so in a difficult role. Jessica Chastain was also superb, as was the child actors and, of course, Sean Penn, who is always reliable.

I also enjoyed The Descendants, and like Pitt, believe that Clooney found new depths as an actor here, and gave one of the best performances of his career. It's a most subtle performance of considerable depth. And the entire cast was also terrific, IMO -- again, it's one of the year's best films and deserves every plaudit and nod that it's being afforded. The Iron Lady was an interesting film, and Streep was superb here -- as was Alexandra Roach, who plays the very young Margaret Thatcher. Jim Broadbent added a great deal of comic relief, and was a welcome presence; although the plotting is rather thinly sketched at times, and plays more like a series of vignettes. Which, I guess it is . . . But it's an endearing movie, and treats Thatcher well. I think that Meryl will win the Oscar on sunday, although Olivia Colman, who played Carol Thatcher, gave (IMO) the year's best performance by an actress in Tyrannosaur. But she has been overlooked by both AMPAS and BAFTA.

I haven't seen The Help, and don't think I'll be-able to see it before sunday -- it does look quite good and has found much success. The past week, or so, I've seen Carnage, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D, A Dangerous Method, An American in Paris and Anchors Aweigh at the cinema.

I enjoyed Carnage very much, and always look forward to a Roman Polanski film. It's a chamber piece, that sometimes feels as though there's nowhere for it to go, but is salvaged by a witty script and splendid acting. Kate Winlset is a joy to watch here, as is Christoph Waltz. Whilst John C. Reilly gives one of his best performances since Chicago. The Phantom Menace remains, IMO, the best of the Star Wars prequels, and although it's not a great movie, it has some fine moments and terrific effects that still impress -- but the 3D is almost non-existent. It's one of the most pointless - and worst - excercises in 3D I've ever seen.

A Dangerous Method is dangerously close to being truly excellent, but falls a little short. But it's a fascinating film, bolstered by strong performances and gorgeous cinematography -- I don't think there's been a better looking film the past year. This is David Cronenberg's third film with Viggo Mortensen who, in playing Sigmund Freud, has much more dialogue than in any film of his I can recall. He is wonderful, however; and brings a quiet, refined and understated performance. Michael Fassbender is equally good as Carl Jung -- and has truly come to the fore as an acting force the past 12 months; but Shame has also been overlooked by AMPAS and BAFTA. Kiera Knightly has a most difficult role here as Sabina Spielrein, and it's a part that any number of actresses would have trouble with. But she is excellent, IMO -- recalling Tony Musante's manic performance in The Detective, as she juts her chin, recoils, squirms and stammers under scrutiny when being treated with Jung's "talking method." Then, totally reigning it in. She's a most talented actress.

An American in Paris and Anchors Aweigh speak for themselves -- both classics and two of the great musicals of the genre's golden era. An American in Paris is (IMO) among the greatest screen musicals ever, and is an absolute masterpiece -- and although Anchors Aweigh isn't quite on the same level, it's excellent, and boasts fine performances by Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra in a film pivotal to their careers in Hollywood.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 am

watched the latest offering from Hammer,"The Woman In Black" a fine quality made film

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:03 am

Wow greystoke, thanks for your wonderful post!
I really enjoyed "Tree Of Life", watching it in the movie theatre. Unfortunately in front of us was a group of people who decided to make comments and talk for almost the first half of the film. Then they fortunately decided to leave the cinema.
The last movie I really tried to watch was "Nader And Simin - A Separation" but I fell asleep twice, simply because I was tired. Pretty hard stuff though.