last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Julian Grant
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Re: last movie you watched

Post by Julian Grant »

Is it only me who watches Elvis movies?

Sunday afternoon is Elvis afternoon at my place and I watched "Tickle Me" doing a movie a week at the moment. :smt023

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

It was Tom Brown of Culver, from 1932 yesterday (for uni work, but quite good actually). It was an early film directed by William Wyler who would direct many great films including Ben Hur in 1959. Yes, Ben Hur, the film which lasts longer than Elvis's band introductions in 1976.

One of the smaller parts is played by a certain Tyrone Power, making a rather fresh-faced first film appearance (withthe exception of an extra part in one of his dad's movies 7 years earlier). Here he is in the film in the back right of the shot

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

poormadpeter wrote:It was Tom Brown of Culver, from 1932 yesterday (for uni work, but quite good actually). It was an early film directed by William Wyler who would direct many great films including Ben Hur in 1959. Yes, Ben Hur, the film which lasts longer than Elvis's band introductions in 1976.

One of the smaller parts is played by a certain Tyrone Power, making a rather fresh-faced first film appearance (withthe exception of an extra part in one of his dad's movies 7 years earlier). Here he is in the film in the back right of the shot

A good movie, and an early talkie from Wyler whose keen ability to fill a scene was very much in evidence during his earliest years as a director. He was more than able with any sort of movie, both on scales grand or small -- Tom Brown was certainly small; almost Mickey Rooneyesque in stature. And he played the lead role well here, with Power just fine in a small part. Alan Ladd also debuts in a bit part as a cadet.

Topic author
rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by rocknroller »

I went to see colobiana at the cinema today,she is like a female jason bourne excellent.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

London Boulevard - essentially a cool movie but could have been better!

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It was Tom Brown of Culver, from 1932 yesterday (for uni work, but quite good actually). It was an early film directed by William Wyler who would direct many great films including Ben Hur in 1959. Yes, Ben Hur, the film which lasts longer than Elvis's band introductions in 1976.

A good movie, and an early talkie from Wyler whose keen ability to fill a scene was very much in evidence during his earliest years as a director. He was more than able with any sort of movie, both on scales grand or small -- Tom Brown was certainly small; almost Mickey Rooneyesque in stature. And he played the lead role well here, with Power just fine in a small part. Alan Ladd also debuts in a bit part as a cadet.
Yes, I enjoyed it, although I had seen it before when originally scouting out films for the thesis a couple of years back.

Various academics cite the film as an example of homosexuality on screen during the early 1930s (between Brown's and Cromwell's characters). I'm actually using it in my thesis which attempts to cast doubt on that kind of academic-using-modern-ideas-when-looking-back-at-old-films work, and instead place this and other films historically back into the period they were made. In the case of this chapter, the aim is to look at a bunch of films in light of what has become known as the same-sex romantic friendships of the 1800s, building on the work an academic by the name of Rotundo. Other films being used in this chapter include Wings, Two Arabian Knights and The Collegians series. But obviously this isn't a thread for a full discussion of this!

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Chinese Boxer 4.5/6.....Wang Yu and Lo Lieh , good stuff.

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Suspicious Minds »

your-cheatin-heart-1964-dvd-george-hamilton-the-hank-williams-story-1112-p.jpeg
This morning I watched Your Cheatin Heart.
Hank Wiiliams Biography starring George Hamilton.
I bought this DVD only to find this was recorded viaTCM.
This film was widescreen black and white.
Still very good quality picture and sound.
My favourite songs on this film were Your Cheatin Heart, Cold, Cold, Heart, Hey Good Looking and I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.
Was I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry in real life the last song Hank Williams Snr would sing?

According to this film Hank could not face the crowds and turns to drinking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

Topic author
rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Suspicious Minds wrote:
My favourite songs on this film were Your Cheatin Heart, Cold, Cold, Heart, Hey Good Looking and I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.
Was I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry in real life the last song Hank Williams Snr would sing?

I always thought this movie was in colour ?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

I'm currently halfway through re-watching the remarkable "Wings", the first winner of the best picture Oscar. The photoplay edition, which I have just "obtained", is a considerable improvement from the only DVD edition, which is an Asian edition. It's always interesting to see how the war film has changed (or not) over the years...this and All Quiet On The Western Front from 3 years later show that the format of home life - training - war scenes was already intact some 80+ years ago.

The film is chiefly remembered now for an (often misconstrued) kiss between two men, Richard Arlen and Charles "Buddy" Rogers (did a prettier actor ever grace the screen?), and the chemistry between these two actors certainly make this one of the first "buddy" movies in film history. The archetypal flapper, Clara Bow, got the star billing however in one of her few big budget films as the object of the affection of both Arlen and Rogers. There is much more to the film than a kiss near the end of the film, however. This is worlds away from the stodgy silent classics of Battleship Potemkin, The Birth of a Nation and even Metropolis. This is popular silent cinema at its best: fast-moving, funny, and with terrific aerial action sequences - and even an early appearance from Gary Cooper.

And yet this is the only winner of the Best Film Oscar never to have had an official DVD release - and shame on Paramount for that. However, the film has been recently restored and many film enthusiasts are crossing their fingers for a deserved DVD/Blu-Ray release at some point in the next year or so.

As a side note: Charles Buddy Rogers, the real star of the film in many ways, slowly gave up acting in the coming years to concentrate on a musical career becoming a band leader and singer. He was also a multi-instrumentalist - in one number in a 1935 musical short he appears as bandleader and during the course of the 3.00 minute musical number plays virtually every instrument in the band (see below)! He also became the final husband of screen legend Mary Pickford until her death in 1979. Rogers then remarried in 1981 to a woman 25 years his junior (he was 77, she was 52) and that marriage lasted until his death in 1999 at the age of 94.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

poormadpeter wrote:I'm currently halfway through re-watching the remarkable "Wings", the first winner of the best picture Oscar. The photoplay edition, which I have just "obtained", is a considerable improvement from the only DVD edition, which is an Asian edition. It's always interesting to see how the war film has changed (or not) over the years...this and All Quiet On The Western Front from 3 years later show that the format of home life - training - war scenes was already intact some 80+ years ago.

The film is chiefly remembered now for an (often misconstrued) kiss between two men, Richard Arlen and Charles "Buddy" Rogers (did a prettier actor ever grace the screen?), and the chemistry between these two actors certainly make this one of the first "buddy" movies in film history. The archetypal flapper, Clara Bow, got the star billing however in one of her few big budget films as the object of the affection of both Arlen and Rogers. There is much more to the film than a kiss near the end of the film, however. This is worlds away from the stodgy silent classics of Battleship Potemkin, The Birth of a Nation and even Metropolis. This is popular silent cinema at its best: fast-moving, funny, and with terrific aerial action sequences - and even an early appearance from Gary Cooper.

And yet this is the only winner of the Best Film Oscar never to have had an official DVD release - and shame on Paramount for that. However, the film has been recently restored and many film enthusiasts are crossing their fingers for a deserved DVD/Blu-Ray release at some point in the next year or so.

As a side note: Charles Buddy Rogers, the real star of the film in many ways, slowly gave up acting in the coming years to concentrate on a musical career becoming a band leader and singer. He was also a multi-instrumentalist - in one number in a 1935 musical short he appears as bandleader and during the course of the 3.00 minute musical number plays virtually every instrument in the band (see below)! He also became the final husband of screen legend Mary Pickford until her death in 1979. Rogers then remarried in 1981 to a woman 25 years his junior (he was 77, she was 52) and that marriage lasted until his death in 1999 at the age of 94.

I very much like Wings, and the Photoplay edition is very good -- certainly the best transfer of the film I have seen. And I do hope for a Blu-ray release, because the quality of silent pictures on the format is quite remarkable; Metropolis, for example, was given a stunning release by Eureka and never has it looked better, or been more complete, since originally showing in cinemas. I only wish I had caught a screening to coincide with the Blu-ray hitting shelves . . .

I'm also partial to The Battleship Potempkin, and most of Eisenstein's work, but I can appreciate how you may find it a tad "stodgy" -- but it's so very, very influential and brilliantly made, with his use of montage, editing and jump-cuts being often imitated, but never really bettered.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I'm currently halfway through re-watching the remarkable "Wings", the first winner of the best picture Oscar. The photoplay edition, which I have just "obtained", is a considerable improvement from the only DVD edition, which is an Asian edition. It's always interesting to see how the war film has changed (or not) over the years...this and All Quiet On The Western Front from 3 years later show that the format of home life - training - war scenes was already intact some 80+ years ago.

I very much like Wings, and the Photoplay edition is very good -- certainly the best transfer of the film I have seen. And I do hope for a Blu-ray release, because the quality of silent pictures on the format is quite remarkable; Metropolis, for example, was given a stunning release by Eureka and never has it looked better, or been more complete, since originally showing in cinemas. I only wish I had caught a screening to coincide with the Blu-ray hitting shelves . . .

I'm also partial to The Battleship Potempkin, and most of Eisenstein's work, but I can appreciate how you may find it a tad "stodgy" -- but it's so very, very influential and brilliantly made, with his use of montage, editing and jump-cuts being often imitated, but never really bettered.
Yes, i agree with that - and I don't have a problem with the more arty silent classics, but I think the problem is that when "classics" silent cinema is referred to it is generally the less-accessible films that are hailed and recommended rather than the films which were actually popular in the day for regular cinema-going audiences. All silent cinema is referred to as a kind of arthouse as an umbrella term which i think is inappropriate, as most of it was not aimed at that kind of audience and much of it is accessible to non-arthouse audiences, with many films from the period allowing an audience to forget the lack of dialogue if they could get as far as ten or fifteen minutes into the film without nodding off. And "Wings" is a key example.

1927 is often seen as the pinnacle of the form, of course, both from art cinema and populist cinema - in many ways it is a shame it was ended so abruptly when at its peak and in a year which brought us films such as Wings, Sunrise, Metropolis as well as the lesser-known but great fun Two Arabian Knights, The Unknown, Shooting Stars, Old Heidelberg, The Lodger and many more.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:

Yes, i agree with that - and I don't have a problem with the more arty silent classics, but I think the problem is that when "classics" silent cinema is referred to it is generally the less-accessible films that are hailed and recommended rather than the films which were actually popular in the day for regular cinema-going audiences. All silent cinema is referred to as a kind of arthouse as an umbrella term which i think is inappropriate, as most of it was not aimed at that kind of audience and much of it is accessible to non-arthouse audiences, with many films from the period allowing an audience to forget the lack of dialogue if they could get as far as ten or fifteen minutes into the film without nodding off. And "Wings" is a key example.

1927 is often seen as the pinnacle of the form, of course, both from art cinema and populist cinema - in many ways it is a shame it was ended so abruptly when at its peak and in a year which brought us films such as Wings, Sunrise, Metropolis as well as the lesser-known but great fun Two Arabian Knights, The Unknown, Shooting Stars, Old Heidelberg, The Lodger and many more.
Due for release on Region A, on November 22nd . . . This release seems to be following the lead taken by Warner Bros.' Ultimate Editions. It appears to be quite promising with regards to the supplementary material -- let's hope the picture quality can match what Eureka has been doing so well with films from the same era.

[DISC 1 - Blu-ray]: Nearly 100 years after its initial release, THE BIRTH OF A NATION remains one of the most controversial films ever made and a landmark achievement in film history that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D. W. Griffith's masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African-Americans. It was the greatest feature-length blockbuster yet to be produced in the United States and the first to be shown in the White House. After seeing it, President Woodrow Wilson remarked it was ''like writing history with lightning!'' However flawed, the film made history. In cities and states across the country, it energized the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), which tried to have the film banned and censored. The film also inspired African Americans to move into filmmaking as a way to offer alternative images and stories. This is a newly mastered (in 2011) version of the film in 1080p High Definitionfrom archival 35mm elements. It includes new music by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra (2011), in 2.0 Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 PLUS, spoken introductions by D.W. Griffith and Walter Huston (including the newly rediscovered intermission sequence). FIRST TIME EVER ON BLU-RAY!

[DISC 2 - SD DVD]: Is a DVD copy of Kino's ''Griffith Masterworks'' edition of the film restored by David Shepard of Film Preservation Associates in 1993. It contains an orchestral score adapted in 1993 from the original score by Joseph Carl Breil in 2.0 Stereo and ''The Making of The Birth of a Nation'' (24 min.) Produced by David Shepard and compiled and written by Russell Merritt.

[DISC 3 - SD DVD]: SPECIAL FEATURES (also on DVD ported over from Kino's ''Griffith Masterworks'' edition) that includes a filmed prologue to The Birth of a Nation (1930. 6 mins. Featuring D. W. Griffith and Walter Huston), Civil War Shorts directed by D. W. Griffith: In the Border States (1910. 16 mins.) The House with the Closed Shutters (1910. 17 mins.) The Fugitive (1910. 17 mins.) His Trust (1910. 14 mins. -- courtesy David Shepard. Music by Robert Israel, performed by the Biograph Quartet) His Trust Fulfilled (1910. 11 mins.) Swords and Hearts (1911. 16 mins.) The Battle (1911. 17 mins.), New York vs. The Birth of a Nation -- an archive of information documenting the battles over the film's 1922 re-release, including protests by the NAACP, transcripts of meetings, legal documents, newspaper articles, and a montage of scenes ordered cut by the New York Censor Board. Excerpts from a The Birth of a Nation souvenir book (1915) and several original programs.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

I don't have a multi-region blu-ray player, but it looks like I need to get one sometime soon.

I think it's safe to say that many find this a fascinating film, even if they don't approve of it - and for both reasons it an important part of cinematic history. Perhaps the first feature film to prove the power and influence of the moving image - even if the power in this instance was the kick-start of a rejuvenated KKK. There are rumours that TCM in America have decided to show this film no more except in seasons of controversial films and the such like. I don't know if that's true as such, but it certainly hasn't been aired in recent years - although, rather scarily, I seem to remember an afternoon showing on channel 4 in the UK when I was a kid!

Of course, this is in many ways 2 films joined together in the middle. the first part is considerably more human than the 2nd, which is when the racist narrative takes over - with some scenes making a modern viewer not know whether to laugh or cry and the stupidity of our ancestors. Away from the film text itself, it can certainly be argued that this is a film responsible for many deaths through lynching and the suchlike over the next couple of decades.

This, like Intolerance from the following year, was really the moment in which American cinema came of age and could finally be viewed as a real art form. Cinematically there is much to admire here - and much that is dreadfully dull. And it's interesting to see how the tide has turned against Griffith somewhat in the academic world since I started my film BA back in 2005. At that point, Griffith was hailed as one of the greatest directors and innovators. Six years on, and with more and more films from this period being made available, that position has been problematised somewhat as recent documentaries by Paul Merton and Mark Cousins have effectively discussed. The way the current crop of 1st year BA students are taught about Griffith is very different to my own tuition at the same university. And rightfully so, I think for Griffith was less of an innovator and more of an expert compiler of everyone elses ideas - not unlike Orson Welles directing Citizen Kane. There was nothing new, but the ideas had never been used so well or compiled together with such effect.

I doubt very few people watch Birth of a Nation for entertainment these days, but it is one of the most important of films and one that should not be forgotten for a multitude of reasons, good and bad, and its appearance on Blu-Ray is certainly to be welcomed.

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Suspicious Minds »

rocknroller wrote:
Suspicious Minds wrote:

I always thought this movie was in colour ?

I just checked my copy and this is black and white film.
Could it have been colourised later.
A lot of films was changed to colour versions.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

EPA4368
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by EPA4368 »

After the death of their loved ones in a tragic plane crash 'Harrison Ford' and Kristin Scott Thomas find each others keys in each others loved ones posessions and realize that they were having an affair and must figure out all the details.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

The Suicide Room. This is a new film from Poland which is surprisingly good considering the unlikely first 30 minutes or so of the the narrative: a teenager accidentally orgasms during a judo bout with another boy(yes, really!), becomes the laughing stock of his peers following this via a facebook-type website and retreats into an internet chatroom where teenages encourage each other to commit suicide.

Following this unlikely start, the film becomes a surprisingly effecting study of the effects of depression on the individual, the misunderstanding of the condition by those who do not suffer from it, and the pros and cons of the internet. There are links both in themes and style with other films such as The Chumscrubber (which starred Jamie Bell) and BenX, a Dutch/Belgian co-production which tells the story of how a bullied autistic teenager finds solace in the world of online gaming. All three films use computer animation to show the virtual reality of the gaming/cyber world in parallel to the "real world".

While hardly an uplifting experience, The Suicide Room is certainly a recommended film - but is hard to find with english subtitles at the moment, until it gets an eventual DVD release in America or the UK. However, both thematically and visually it is a fine movie, with a great central performance from young Jakub Gierszal.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

poormadpeter wrote:The Suicide Room. This is a new film from Poland which is surprisingly good considering the unlikely first 30 minutes or so of the the narrative: a teenager accidentally orgasms during a judo bout with another boy(yes, really!), becomes the laughing stock of his peers following this via a facebook-type website and retreats into an internet chatroom where teenages encourage each other to commit suicide.

Following this unlikely start, the film becomes a surprisingly effecting study of the effects of depression on the individual, the misunderstanding of the condition by those who do not suffer from it, and the pros and cons of the internet. There are links both in themes and style with other films such as The Chumscrubber (which starred Jamie Bell) and BenX, a Dutch/Belgian co-production which tells the story of how a bullied autistic teenager finds solace in the world of online gaming. All three films use computer animation to show the virtual reality of the gaming/cyber world in parallel to the "real world".

While hardly an uplifting experience, The Suicide Room is certainly a recommended film - but is hard to find with english subtitles at the moment, until it gets an eventual DVD release in America or the UK. However, both thematically and visually it is a fine movie, with a great central performance from young Jakub Gierszal.
I'll keep an eye open for The Suicide Room -- The Chumscrubber and Ben X were both very, very good; the latter, especially, which is a fine example of intelligent, relevant cinema with a broad understanding of its subject.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

poormadpeter wrote:Expensive, but likely to come down in price as more copies filter through:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sala-Samobojcow-DVD-Jan-Komasa/dp/B005N02Q90/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1317655290&sr=1-1
A touch expensive, yes . . . I'm sure a UK label will offer a release at some point soon.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

No matter how much we might love great movies, sometimes it's nice to sit down, put your feet up with a nice of cup of tea and a few biscuits and watch something which is cheap and cheerful, narrative driven and easy on the eye. American indie films rarely deliver on any of those fronts, but DARE, which I watched tonight, pretty much delivers on all three. Cleverly switching from the viewpoint of the film from one character to another as the narrative progresses, it manages to give a fresh and sexy spin on a kind of accidental three-way relationship and provides characters which are, for once, not stereotypes but flawed, often selfish, human beings.

On the downside, the teens in the film are, as ever, played by people nearing thirty (why?!) and there is a rather disposable cameo from Alan Cumming (someone who i find disposable no matter what film he's in!), but despite these issues this a pleasant way to spend 90 minutes if you're in the mood for undemanding entertainment.

As an aside, check out how the artwork for the DVD for America and Britain is very different - with the American marketing the film as a straighforward teen romantic drama (bottom), and the British release (top) clearly aimed at the gay market, despite the fact that this section of the film is considerably the shortest!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

I was expecting a bit more from this but it works as a pretty good conspiracy thriller rather than the gritty anti war film I was expecting.

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Dont mess with Zohan......4 of 6 , silly but fairly enjoyable.

Mummy 3 Emperors Tomb.....3 of 6 , meh..

Topic author
rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

I went to see the remake of the 80s classic footloose,i loved this film back in the summer of 1984 it was the year i left high school.the last remake i went to see at the cinema was fright night and it sucked(sorry about the pun)so i went to see footloose with low "expectations" boy was i wrong i loved it ! amazing cast and the soundtrack was fantastic,it made me feel like i was a teenager again ! happy days.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

You big girls blouse rocknroller!

norrie