Question regarding Sonny West

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Question regarding Sonny West

Post by Vissie »

After he co-wrote EWH, wasn't he considered persona non grata by the Elvis camp? Wasn't he more or less banished?

The reason I wonder is because he's often heard on Sirius talking about how "wonderful" Elvis was :? Not once does the DJ say.. "but what about that book you wrote and the things you said?" Instead, the DJ treats him as if he was golden.

Can someone tell me please... is Sonny back in good graces? Was he forgiven for what he wrote?
Last edited by Vissie on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I forgave him many years ago.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Rob wrote:I forgave him many years ago.
Rob, can you elaborate a little more? Why did you forgive him?

And... as I asked in my post... is he considered forgiven by the Elvis camp in general?

Rob

Post by Rob »

Maybe "forgive" is not the right word. He didn't do anything to me, so I had nothing to forgive him for. However, I got over it years ago. After seeing Sonny in person on several occasions and watching television interviews, it was quite obvious that he cared for his boss very much. When he was let go in 1976, it wasn't handled the way it should have been and it ruffled some feathers. Mine more than likely would have been ruffled too. I probably wouldn't have gone as far as writing a negative book, but that's just me.

There are a few in Elvis' inner circle that genuinely cared for Elvis. Sonny was one of them. He has expressed regret many times over the contents of the book. He is now welcomed by most Elvis fans. I shook his hand the last time I saw him and would do it again. It does no good to resent things that happened 30 years ago.

Let it go and move on. I'm betting Elvis eventually would have.
Last edited by Rob on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ColinB »

Vissie wrote:
Rob wrote:I forgave him many years ago.
Rob, can you elaborate a little more? Why did you forgive him?

And... as I asked in my post... is he considered forgiven by the Elvis camp in general?
I'm not sure what his standing is within the 'Elvis camp', but there has been a growing feeling for a while, among fans, that maybe the writers of that infamous book were attempting to save Elvis rather than finish him.

Hence the contempt with which they were once held has lessened somewhat with each passing year, in the eyes of some.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

I thank both of you for your replies. I guess time heals all wounds in this case?

However, I can't "let go and move on". I've only recently finished the book and it's still very fresh in my memory.

Imo, (and that's all it is, my opinion) I don't think Elvis would have forgiven them for writing the book. I might feel differently later, but loyalty was paramount to Elvis and this book was the ultimate breach.

Right now, I don't care for either Red or Sonny (again, jmo).

Tony Trout
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Question regarding Sonny West

Post by Tony Trout »

carolynlm wrote:Sonny would never say he was sorry he participated in that book, because what eventually ended up on the the finished page wasn't what the authors had in mind in the first place. 99% of the blame for the content of that book goes to that rotten dunleavy person.....
Red and Sonny loved Elvis like a brother....
Sonny is one of the nicest members of the MM....he is genuine and can have a laugh and a cry about the things Elvis did.
You have to realise that these guys had families to support, Elvis really had no idea in the ways of the world, something had always turned up for him...he didn't have to think (or didn't want to think) about where his next meal was coming from. Yes, these guys had it pretty good while they were on the road, but then when they came back, most of them had to have regular jobs to tide them over...and most of them had young families to look after.
Say what you like about Sonny, but firstly, if you get the chance to sit down and have a chat with him, not necessarily about Elvis, but life in general and you may come away with a different view. He's also got a great wife, Judy.

100% spot on!! Great post, Carolyn!!

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Well, I'm going to have to disagree.

Some choices we make in life hold consequences. Time does not absolve us of all responsibility. If Sonny was a loyal and true friend to Elvis, he could have chosen not to participate in that book. And while some may see it as a way "to save Elvis from himself", I do not share that viewpoint.

In my opinion, I see it as a tome written by 3 petty and vindictive individuals. And although time may have softened the harshness of what transpired, it did not erase it. The things that were said in that book were meant to hurt and humiliate. Congrats to them, they succeeded.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

You know, all the guys cared for Elvis for sure.
But:
-3 of the guys participated in the fatal EWH book.
-Lamar hooked up with Goldman.
-Hamburger James tried to steal from Elvis.
-The Racketball thing was a joke.
-David Stanley isn't very protective of Elvis nowadays..

All MM guys have their own individual story..
Sonny deserved more credits in 1976, his participation in the bodyguard book was a mistake.
His wake up call didn't work.
The book gave Elvis the final push to give up.

Sonny did care though...

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

The wake-up call from Red, Sonny and Dave came 14 years too late.