Chat talk and light discussion

Elvis Tribute Song

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:36 pm

From the Elvis News site:

MQ Music in the US has announced Robbie Williams' recording, "Advertising Space", as the best Elvis tribute song of 2005.

Other Elvis tribute songs considered included "King of the Mountain" by Kate Bush; "January 8, 1935" by country singer, LJ Coon; and "Journey To Graceland" by David Lee.

Not considered, but yet to be released song, "Singing With Angels", by Suzi Quatro (with The Jordanaires and James Burton).

Don't really follow this !

Surely, the Robbie Williams video was the Elvis tribute ?

The lyrics of the song didn't seem to bear much relationship to Elvis [not to these old ears, anyway] !

King of the Mountain gets my vote !

Stop Press !

I just looked up Robbie's lyrics.

OK, they are about Elvis, but very subtle !

Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:59 pm

I can´t comment since I didn´t listen to any of them.

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:25 pm

i wrote a song called 'in my shoes', it was'nt about Elvis,it only had 1 line that related directly to him but about different people and their different lives, but the song came back to that one message that Elvis once said 'don't criticize what you don't understand son, you never stood in that mans shoes'

this was the lyric

how would you like to be the president of the united states
how would you like to be the man in Memphis behind the Graceland gates

Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:03 am

Kate Bush's "King Of The Mountain" gets my vote too,Colin !

Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 am

Renan wrote:I can´t comment since I didn´t listen to any of them.

I love this, Renan!! I'm going to use it every time I don't have anything to say about a post!!
sue

BTW, it's the end of January. Is Marcos coming back and then you'll be off on vacation??

Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Glad you looked the lyrics up Colin, but I was still surprised that you didn't see very much of a connection.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:00 pm

Steve_M wrote:Glad you looked the lyrics up Colin, but I was still surprised that you didn't see very much of a connection.

I guess I was so taken aback by the visual Elvis references, I didn't pay too much attention to the words.

Robbie's song [like Kate's King of the Mountain] is a tad more subtle than the old 'I Remember Elvis Presley' type of thing !

You have to pay attention to spot the Elvis bits!