Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What's That Song ?

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:31 pm

On the Blue Hawaii soundtrack CD, updated in 1997, Elvis sings one line from a song.

It's just before Slicin' Sand Take 4.

It goes:

"Did you ever stand on a cold dark night".

He uses a really bluesy voice on this and it sounds great [better than anything else from this session].

So, what is the song ?

Or was Elvis just improvising ?

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:27 pm

nobody knows!!!

8)

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:56 pm

sam wrote:nobody knows!!!

8)

Well, you don't, that's for sure !

Anybody ?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:57 pm

Sorry I don´t know.....

And I would answer nobody knows. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:01 pm

Don't know that one...

the "I Went To Your Wedding" line is from Hank Snow's "I Went To Your Wedding"... lol

But I don't know the other one - looked all over online and couldn't find it.

He may be playing with the lyrics, in which case it'd be 10 times harder to find out. :(

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:45 pm

Thanks Renan & Jamie.

Looks like this one has everybody stumped !

Maybe he was just improvising !

Re: What's That Song ?

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Patti Page also covered I Went To Your Wedding in 1952.

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Eastvan51 wrote:Patti Page also covered I Went To Your Wedding in 1952.

Well, Eastvan51, it's good to hear your response after 9 years & 7 months !

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 pm

ColinB wrote:On the Blue Hawaii soundtrack CD, updated in 1997, Elvis sings one line from a song.

It goes:

He uses a really bluesy voice on this and it sounds great [better than anything else from this session].

So, what is the song ?

The line Elvis sings is almost identical to the opening line of this Sun recording by Warren Smith :

phpBB [video]

This song is called "The Darkest Cloud", it was recorded (as a tryout, more or less) by Smith at 706 Union in early 1957, but was not released (along with some false starts and studio chatter) until almost 30 years later, in Bear Family's "Sun - The Country Years" box set :

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Sun-Country-Years/release/4587406

As far as I know, the author/s of the song are unknown, and I haven't located any versions other than Warren's.

Of course, the question would be, where did Elvis hear this song ? Maybe it was supplied to him at some point as a demo, and it was rejected, but the image of the "cold dark night" stuck on his mind ?

Here's the recording, for those who haven't heard it :

phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:39 am

Mister Moon wrote:
ColinB wrote:On the Blue Hawaii soundtrack CD, updated in 1997, Elvis sings one line from a song.

It goes:

So, what is the song ?

The line Elvis sings is almost identical to the opening line of this Sun recording by Warren Smith :

phpBB [video]

This song is called "The Darkest Cloud", it was recorded (as a tryout, more or less) by Smith at 706 Union in early 1957, but was not released (along with some false starts and studio chatter) until almost 30 years later, in Bear Family's "Sun - The Country Years" box set :

As far as I know, the author/s of the song are unknown, and I haven't located any versions other than Warren's.

Of course, the question would be, where did Elvis hear this song ? Maybe it was supplied to him at some point as a demo, and it was rejected, but the image of the "cold dark night" stuck on his mind ?

phpBB [video]

Well done, MM. That'll do until we find one!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:10 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:Well done, MM. That'll do until we find one!

Thanks, mike edwards66.

Something tells me we are on the right track, but I can't be 100% sure, of course.

Hopefully, somebody else will be able to confirm / deny this, although this is a difficult one.

Thanks also elvisalisellers and NumberEight !

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

It goes:

So, what is the song ?

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

This seems highly likely, especially as Elvis is imitating the country twang, and singing it in waltz time (albeit faster) which the original song is in.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Here ya go... Jimmy Swan's "I Had A Dream"

phpBB [video]

PS... I miss SAM!!! :(
Last edited by elvis-fan on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:50 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Here ya go... Jimmy Swan's "I Had A Dream" 1943

phpBB [video]

This is priceless information, elvis-fan. Thank you very much !

It's great to trace the roots of Warren Smith's "The Darkest Cloud", which in reality is nothing more than a revamping of this Jimmy Swan recording.

Let me add some information, after doing some googleing :

Jimmy Swan's "I Had A Dream" was recorded April 17, 1952, and released during July - August that year. It was his first ever single release, even though he was 39 years old at the time. I've searched for the review on "The Billboard", but instead here's some other stuff from the same publication regarding the release of this disc :

BB 520712-19-26.JPG

BB 520809.JPG

BB 520830.JPG

And here's a good image of the original label. Note that the song is credited to Trumpet label owner Lillian (Shedd) McMurry :

Trumpet 176x.JPG

Here's some versions of the song :

http://secondhandsongs.com/work/145526/versions#nav-entity

But there's yet another Elvis / Jimmy Swan connection. They shared the same stage at least once, on Thursday, September 1, 1955, at Pontchartrain Beach, in New Orleans. There's a famous shot of that day, where we can see both artists together with many other performers :

550901 x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:37 pm

More Elvis / Swan connections :

This is a lovely record, cut by Jimmy Swan on June 19, 1956, at RCA's studios in McGavock Street, in Nashville - where Elvis had cut his first RCA sessions just five months earlier.

The backing band that June day included Chet Atkins on electric guitar, Jimmy Day on steel guitar, and Floyd Cramer on piano. Of course, Atkins and Cramer played at Elvis' debut session as well, where "Heartbreak Hotel" was taped.

Incidentally, note Swan's reference to "Heartbreak Hotel" in this line of the song :

"Ain't got no blue suede shoes, or the hotel blues,
I'm just a country boy walkin' the hall"

phpBB [video]

Jimmy Swan - "Country Cattin'" - M-G-M single 12348 - Released October 1956.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Marvellous topic thanks to all involved.

Just makes me wonder about the Elvis recordings we could have had!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks to everyone involved... elvis-fan, Mister Moon and Colin too!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks, Good Time Charlie and Juan Luis !

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Elvis would have done a nice version of that song judging by that little snippet.

elvis-fan, I miss SAM too !

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 am

Dan_T wrote:Elvis would have done a nice version of that song judging by that little snippet.

elvis-fan, I miss SAM too !

That's why those little snippets are interesting, yet so frustrating... :)

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 pm

Somebody call ColinB ! :)

He will probably be happy to learn that his question has been answered (almost ten years later).

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Somebody call ColinB ! :)

He will probably be happy to learn that his question has been answered (almost ten years later).

Well, everything comes to he who waits !

Looks like you guys have nailed that one !

Thanks Mister Moon & elvis-fan & all who posted !

BTW - I miss SAM, too !

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:36 pm

ColinB wrote:BTW - I miss SAM, too !

we miss you here, colin (and you´re not even dead).