Chat talk and light discussion

ELVIS TO THE MAX WAS FANTASTIC!!!

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:20 am

he was better than my expectations! he really gave the crowd their moneys worth. he does'nt sound that much like him, i can even do better than that., but the way he looks the way he moves is JUST like Elvis! i'm not kidding ya, sometimes i thought it was Elvis on that stage. he is truly fantastic!

i wrote the set line up as it went

at 9pm, Max came out dressed as EP in the 50s, he looked just like him! maybe he has had plastic surgery, but he was pretty good to look at. he was probably 6 foot tall, maybe more, he came out ina brown stripy jacket and brown baggy pants.

good rockin tonight-this was a good opening. he is so uncanny at the moves! his voice is o.k, but not overly good, listenable,and not directly like Elvis, more sounding like himself too, like i do

treat me nice

then he talked to the crowd. of course, this is an Elvis tribute artist, so he had to act like he was EP, which i thought was a bit weird. he said 'thank you very much, you're a fantastic audience...we're gonna do all the songs you wanna hear, all 429 of em (obviously from Aloha) it could take a few days, but... he sounded a little bit like Elvis talking, but he did'nt parody him at least

don't-he changed some of the words around in this, and came to a lady in front of my table and took her hand and sang to her. i was front row on the right, so he was right in front of me

return to sender/follow that dream/rock a hula baby- the moves he did on this were so good, like i've said, just like EP in the 50s. then he went backstage to change for the second part of the show

trouble/guitarman- then Max came out in the 68 leather outfit, he looked good at it, but he looked pretty old in it. the guy must be over 40, maybe 45. then he went to trouble/guitarman, which was'nt a overly special delivery
mystery train/tigerman-during tigerman, Max did the move round the mic stand move that EP does in TTWII, but in his leather outfit, which was a bit of a mistake, when he did the move, this really bright, white strobe light flashed, it was so hard to look at him through the light, and it made his movements look like they were going frame by frame, pretty cool

are you lonesome tonight-he did ok at this, he included the line' and wish u had hair', which he laughed, and he even laughs just like Elvis! he then did the spoken part, he looked at a woman across my table, he spoke the words and then said 'who-am-i-talking to?!''

a little less conversation-appropriate, since this was recorded during the 68 comeback recording sessions. he said 'a record that just did very well for me ladies and gentlemen, its a combination of country and rap, its crap'. he laughed at that,and so did we

heartbreak hotel/houndog/all shook up-during houndog, Max did the shakes that Elvis does, and it looked awesome!

jailhouse rock-at the end of this, Max did the legs swings like he did on 'got a lot o livin to do' on 'lovin you'. it looked good

then a 15 minute intermission, and then, the best part of the show

also sprach zarathrusta/see see rider-the piano was really clear on this, and the drums were awesome, then Max came out looking AWESOME in his white pyramid suit, with a new belt, instead of the champion ship belt. i immediately started cheering, every stud on the suit flashed and looked really cool.he looked about the same weight Elvis was on EOT, maybe a little bigger. he had the glasses on that EP only wore once in concert, but they looked good on him. he did some cool guitar poses, and did a good delivery of see see rider

burning love-done in a different key, this was pretty good

then another welcome to the audience, and he started taking off his scarf, and then introduced the next song as 'a song the beatles did in 1912'

something-i was realy suprised, Max delivered this song beautifully, helped also by the female backup singer in soprano. this was one of the best songs he did, he sounded real nice. then he called out 'mountain!', and i knew it was 'you gave me a mountain', i was quite happy

you gave me a mountain-not as good as EP does of course, Max spoke the words from 'she took my pride and my joy' onwards till the end of the verse. it was ok

you don't have to say you love me-good delivery

polk salad annie- i was gonna request this, but when the bass line started, i was so excited. at the end, the band went REALLY wild, but he only did a continuous arm movement that did'nt even get wilder as the ending got better. i was a little disappointed, but the drummer gave polk salad a new and cool beat!
my way-Max read the words to the first verse, then threw the lyric sheet away, just like Elvis did. he did o.k on this one, but did'nt get the note on the end
little sister/get back-he included the line 'eevrytime i see your sister..', which i dunno if EP did in concert, then he went in to 'get back', which included a line i'd never heard before, and it was'nt 'jo jo was a man...'

lovin you-then he said he was gonna do 'love me tender', but instead he
lovin you, which sounded pretty good. then he kissed women and gave out scarves to extend 'love me tender' to about 4 minutes. he came to one woman and said 'i'm gonna let you have this ring,...no i can't do that', quite funny
all shook up- he rocked this one
blue suede shoes-he did the growl that you hear in Aloha, it was o.k
teddy bear/don't be cruel-o.k
i can't stop lovin you-o.k, not very powerful, at the end, before he did 'in dreams of yesterday', he said 'i gotta get the belt in the right place', but he did'nt even get the note!
fever-this was o.k, but at the end, just as in Aloha, he quickly got down and it looked real cool
welcome to my world-o.k
suspicious minds-he rocked! he got the movements spot on and it looked real cool. that annoying strobe light came up again, but i had to watch him through it
band introductions-he siad 'i'd like to introduce my group to you, but its not worth it'. while introducing the guitar player, he said 'this guy has played with paul anka, tom jones....but we could'nt get him tonight, instead we got this guy. the drummer got a minute and a half solo, and he played just as hard as Ronnie Tutt, he was awesome! the whole band was really talented
johnny b.goode-this was o.k
american trilogy-i was quite pleased to hear this, he delivered this well, but without the high note, but with the passion
big hunk o'love- a different key, ok
can't help falling in love'at the end, he did'nt have his cape! i was a bit disappointed. but i could not complain. it was a fantastic show, i got an autograph and a c.d, and its realy worth going to. of couse,NO ONE is going to replace Elvis, but as a tribute, he is DAMN good! i recommend you go to his show, he'll be worth your money!!!!!!!
:D 8)

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:40 am

"bang"...end off. :evil:

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:42 am

whats that supposed to mean Kev?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:45 am

End of MAX and his like...if the guy is a good singer,then why not sing songs that he wrote instead of doing others ie = Presley

Just a view. :(

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:51 am

Kev, read what i said, this guy is amazing! he's keeping the memory alive, and in a good way too. he is not one of those mumble jumble impersonators, he is really really good, i was absolutely amazed by him

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:57 am

I did read what you put down...and fair play to you,but i am writing my views as a purest...one man one Presley.

Still just a view.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:01 am

you guys have got this image in your mind that he was like every other bad impersonator you see. if you'd have seen him, you'd change your mid, belive me, i know a bad impersonator when i see one, he was not bad. he did it with respect,and did not give the audience a negative image of Elvis, he did it with respect and i was proud to be apart of the audience last night. you'd had to be there to believe it, i suppose.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:05 am

OK...whats wrong with being at home with TTWII-SE on the TV?...or a cd with your fave EP songs on it???.

In the end its all just a view,dont take it to heart.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:14 am

ok Carolynlm, you do have a point, but in the end, the show was about recreating Elvis in live perfromances, and he done a really good job. it was the next best thing to seeing him live, and it was spontaneous and he, like Elvis, was charismatic. i'm not saying he's better than Elvis, becoz NO ONE is better than our man, but for paying tribute to him, he done a fantastci job, and like i said, he gave the audience the right image of Elvis. ok, thats all i have to say, you have to see it to believe it

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:25 am

thank you. im 15, not 16 BTW

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:37 am

hey Kev, would u like me to do 'anything thats part of you' for u?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:44 am

EJ, You're a young guy who had a good time! I can't see anything wrong with that. If you were entertained, good for you! I love Elvis, and don't know if I'd like a whole show of an impersonator, but then I'm older and more set in my ways. In other threads, I posted that I didn't mind a bit of elvis in a spot commercial. I don't. Others disagreed with me. That's fine. We value a difference of opinion in the countries we live in. Glad you had a very nice, exciting time.
sue

I think the difference is that we have had a lot more time to become entrenched in an Elvis love affair. You are young, and don't feel this extremely strong bond because you have only had so much time to get the real "feel" of Elvis, even if you think you do feel it. I truly do feel the difference is the amount of time you've been exposed to E. I have had a lot of time, as have many of the other members of this board. The tie is hard to break by having an "intruder" come in and try to steal the spotlight. You have to keep that in mind when speaking with older Elvis fans. And, you have to admit almost all Elvis fans are older than you. You were excited by someone "real" but you have to remember there was actually a REAL Elvis that most of us love and hold close to our hearts. I, as well as other members of the board, have had years of listening to and watching our man, and do feel an extreme loyalty to that man. Perhaps you might be careful of showing great enthusiasm for a tribute artist because a lot of fans will not appreciate it. I probably am closer to understanding because I have been exposed to hundreds of kids and their enthusiasms (many with which I didn't agree, but went along). Maybe it's also that because I exposed them to Elvis (on rainy days when they had to spend recess indoors), and they loved him. I was easier on their enthusiasms, because they accepted mine readily and eagerly. (This is not a lecture, but a tiny bit of advice.)
Last edited by Silver on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Hey Jnr, I reckon max is great.

I drink pepsi max all the time.

:wink:

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:59 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i prefer coke myself

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:24 am

Fanta for the KEV...

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:34 am

with SWEETIES. 8)

I prefer a spider too

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:41 am

No...ice

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:04 am

carolynlm wrote:I wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Enough said.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 am

iamhekev wrote:No...ice

Yes ... Ice!!! :P

:wink:

Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Kill the impersonators.... :lol: :lol:

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:42 pm

"%*! ice :P :wink:

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:31 pm

Had to pop in on this,

Carolyn, just wanted to say thanks for what you said on me.. and also wanted to say that my status is changing. Never felt like an "impersonator" or whatever, but it was the closest description to what I did. Now I'm playing an acting part in "Elvis Story", and when not doing that I'm doing my own shows or something more akin to Ronnie McDowell or Terry Mike, a "Celebration of the Music" as I like to call it, with Elvis' own music groups and me just as "me". I'm kinda proud of the change, but I'm REALLY slow to update my website, but you'll see a huge change in it when I'm done. It's more respectful, and what I preferred doing in the first place - thought you might like to hear about that. :)

But anyway, I definitely feel both sides of this. There is ONE Elvis, and nothing and nobody will take his place in the slightest. I will always attest, however, that there is one need for people still singing his songs, and that's to get new fans into it. And I probably would not believe it, myself, if I hadn't witnessed it countless times personally.

For my part, I have proof of this, as nearly 1,000+ people over the 3 months of shows I did in AC came to me after the show and said that it helped wake them up to Elvis. To kinda send them on a mission, I'd ask what their new favorite song was, and would write down on the back of the autograph sheet what CD it's on and usually where to find it. Also did the same thing every time I met a fan who's name was in an Elvis song.

Elvis The Concert likely pulls the same results X 100, though.

At the moment, I think those performances are for those looking for something out of the norm (as long as it's done with taste), but definitely not a substitute for Elvis himself, which I'm sure all fans can agree with.

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi, Carolyn!

Well, in "Elvis Story", I'm playing the part of Elvis, from 1954-1976, then reverting back to 1968 to do "If I Can Dream" in front of a real lights-made Elvis sign that's twice as big as I am (a fav part of mine, can you tell? lol). In that show, I use a lot of lines and things Elvis said, especially rare stuff that most people don't hear.. that's because it's an acting part - and if I were watching, I'd want those small points noted and payed attention to. Kinda the "Elvis-geek" in me. :)

There's a video on http://www.elvisstory.com but I'm not crazy about all the angles and I feel I personally can do better, but it's still not bad. Show how neat the 2 hours of makeup look, though! lol

I did try out for the part in the miniseries, but I'm glad I didn't get it - after watching the show, I determined the only thing worse than the acting was the script... they'd either have kicked me off or I would've quit, one or the other... lol

For my own things, one show I'm doing is with the Jordanaires, Boots Randolph, Millie Kirkham, DJ Fontana, and Bob Moore, where we do a ton of songs from the 50s and 60s as well as songs from my first album. Regarding Elvis material, it's everything from the best known stuff to "Peace In The Valley", to "Lonesome Cowboy". What I wear for the first half takes a cue from the back of the original Christmas album, but isn't a full replica since it's me doing my thing. If I feel like moving, I move how I want, and sing how I want, not trying to be anything but me, although my natural style is VERY heavily Elvis-influenced. I'm also working with the American Sound group to put some shows together with them.

Yep, often times the fans don't know the song, but not always the case. And it does wonders... I can tell you a good number of examples where the people were passing fans or not fans at all before coming to the show, and now buy almost as much Elvis stuff as I do! As a fan, I'm quite proud of that. :D

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Jamie -

Well done !

Doing all that live must take it out of you !

Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:39 pm

Jamie...

You may pull wool over "some" folks eyes...but your still impersonator.

Just "the" KEVS view...