Chat talk and light discussion

Trump wants to change the rules??

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 am

What do you guys think of this? I'm not sure what it means? Does the current rule mean Churches can't get "political" or they will lose their tax exemption?

LInda

ttps://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02 ... /21705917/

Re: Trump wants to change the rules??

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 pm

The link won't come up for me what does Donald Trump say about it?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Brian, that's odd. The link won't work for me now, either??? Let me check it out and see what the problem is.

Elvisly,

Linda

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Try this one. It works for me now.

Elvisly,

Linda

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Don ... &FORM=VIRE

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Neither work for me; however when I tried finding the video I came across this with Noam Chomsky, who is an American linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, historian, social critic, and political activist - and highly respected.

And this video as well - highly informative about how the Trump administration is !!

Last edited by FatherJack1980 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:32 am

lovin' EP wrote:What do you guys think of this? I'm not sure what it means? Does the current rule mean Churches can't get "political" or they will lose their tax exemption?

Yes. If I'm understanding it right it means if church leaders speak out, endorse and campaign for a candidate they could lose their tax exemption status. I think that church leaders should be able to endorse their candidate of choice and speak freely. I have seen several pastors publicly speak of their endorsement of George Bush and Donald Trump and various other candidates over the years. I was not aware that they were doing so at their own risk.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:42 pm

brian wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:What do you guys think of this? I'm not sure what it means? Does the current rule mean Churches can't get "political" or they will lose their tax exemption?

Yes. If I'm understanding it right it means if church leaders speak out, endorse and campaign for a candidate they could lose their tax exemption status. I think that church leaders should be able to endorse their candidate of choice and speak freely. I have seen several pastors publicly speak of their endorsement of George Bush and Donald Trump and various other candidates over the years. I was not aware that they were doing so at their own risk.

I have never heard a pastor endorse any candidate, not even local ones in all my years of attending. I think its wrong of them to do so, just like I dont want to hear it at a concert , play, or awards shows. Im not there to hear such stuff.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:14 pm

r&b wrote:I have never heard a pastor endorse any candidate, not even local ones in all my years of attending. I think its wrong of them to do so, just like I dont want to hear it at a concert , play, or awards shows. Im not there to hear such stuff.

John Hagee
Robert Jeffress
Jerry Faldwell Jr.

I agree with you in the sense that pastors shouldn't get political during church services and that entertainers shouldn't make political rants during concerts. However I think they should both be able to publicly endorse any candidate they choose.