Chat talk and light discussion

When you had discovered Elvis Presley, and how?

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:12 am

As per title. How you had discovered Elvis Presley for the first time?

I was 15, I was reading about my one of the most favorite actor, and he was inspired by Elvis Presley. Few weeks later, I read about a tune that was derived from one of the tune of Elvis. After that I thought of hearing Elvis.

Re: When you had discovered Elvis Presley, and how?

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:11 pm

I have loved Elvis ever since I first heard him sing (was about 8 and knew nothing about him.) Than I started going to the movies to see all his films during the '60s. The first song I heard on the radio that I actually knew who was singing was "Return to Sender." I went to the movies to see "That's the Way it is" and decided that I was going to Vegas to see him. I saw my first on-tour show in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in November of 1971. I ended up seeing about 45 concerts (including about 25 in Vegas).

Elvisly,

Linda

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Mum had a couple of LPs when I was a kid (You'll never Walk Alone, Inspirations, the Camden Christmas album) and the films were shown regularly during school holidays when I was a kid. I bought some LPs of my own when I was around thirteen or fourteen - a Camden album called Heartbreak Hotel, as well as G I Blues, Blue Hawaii and How Great Thou Art. Then I forgot about them completely for a few years until my sister asked me to copy some LPs she had on to tape. One was the Memphis/Vegas double album, and that was the one that grabbed me.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:41 pm

As a kid in the 50's I had a high school upstairs neighbor (16) who loved rock and roll and he would always buy new records every week. One day he invited me in to listen to some new ones he bought. It was 1956. I was real young and only knew Perry Como and Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin coming from my Italian parents lol. Once I heard Elvis and the other records, I no longer wanted toys for Christmas or my birthday, It was a wonderful revelation. The first record I bought was probably Too Much. I had my Mom buy all the former ones and all the newer ones as they came out along with other records of the day. I was an odd kid, the only one who related to this stuff and the Elvis movies. Most of my friends didnt get into music & records until The Beatles came along.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:09 am

r&b wrote:As a kid in the 50's I had a high school upstairs neighbor (16) who loved rock and roll and he would always buy new records every week. One day he invited me in to listen to some new ones he bought. It was 1956. I was real young and only knew Perry Como and Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin coming from my Italian parents lol. Once I heard Elvis and the other records, I no longer wanted toys for Christmas or my birthday, It was a wonderful revelation. The first record I bought was probably Too Much. I had my Mom buy all the former ones and all the newer ones as they came out along with other records of the day. I was an odd kid, the only one who related to this stuff and the Elvis movies. Most of my friends didnt get into music & records until The Beatles came along.

It is likely that music really changed after Elvis Presley, his music was rebellious and gentle, and that was something new in those days. We happen to find such kind of music in later decades as well, but today it is very hard.

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 am

Since you asked about the very beginning, that's easy. How I became a fan? That's complicated.

Close Encounter of the First Kind:

Me and my dad are in the car. I am 7. A Beatles song has just played on the radio before we exit the vehicle. I ask a question.

Me: "Did the Beatles invent rock and roll?"
Dad: "No. Elvis Presley did."
Me: "He's still ALIVE?"
Dad: Speechless

I got him confused with Rudolph Valentino, I think.

Close Encounter of the Second Kind:

It is late summer or early fall, 1969. I hear and see Elvis Presley for the first time on "The Late Show" or "The Late, Late Show" which is a movie.

phpBB [video]

It is Jailhouse Rock. I find it scary, violent. I ask my mom, a few days later: "do they still whip people in prison." She says no. "Why?" I tell her. I ask her how old that movie is. She says late 1950s. He looked very young in the movie, very young. It was about a decade hence, and I wondered where he had gone. I remembered him from the driveway, but otherwise, he wasn't on Bandstand or anywhere on TV. (I missed the TV Special. Twice. :( )

And that's it. That's how I "discovered" him. :D

rjm

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 pm

I honestly don't quite remember how exactly I discovered Elvis. I was about 4, I think. My grandmother was a huge Elvis fan, and my mom and dad had a few of his records when they were growing up, so I guess I heard him one way or another and I instantly liked it. His music struck a chord with me that no other artist has. I remember I had my mom wake me up at 4:30 one morning so I could watch Wild in the Country on the TCM channel.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 am

First time I remember seeing/hearing about Elvis is this magazine from 1978 (still have it)
I also barely remember seeing the "Paradise hawaiian style" movie on sweedish television around 1978.
I was 10 years old at the time.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

First thing I remember about Elvis being in my life, I was about 8 years old(1970), my 5 year older sister was a huge fan and played his music all the time."I was like a fly on the wall". A few yeas ago she found an old letter that I wrote to her about what I would like for my 12`th birthday.......It was quite funny to read(I`ll keep it always as a souvenir) , because I don`t actually remember, but my biggest wish was a big "Elvis poster". I really first became a real fan many, many years later, but he must have meant something special to me even back then.
I don`t think I got the poster I wanted......think I would have remembered if I did. But I do remember how my sister cried her eyes out for a long time when he died......she was heartbroken(Like everybody was), and I always remembered how she regret, that she now would never be able to go to an Elvis concert. In 2012 Elvis in Concert would come to London. Then I thought.......now is my chance to"Almost" bring her to the concert she never went to.......and so we did.....even two of them.(O2 Arena and Wembley the next day)
My sister and I has always been close, but I think you can tell that it is great that we have that very special Elvis bond between us.

My sister happy to finally be in the middle of an Elvis concert crowd......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Great posts here.

Me? I was pretty young, years before wanting to collect records or CDs, and I heard this song on the radio called "Burning Love." It was really neat. Then, about 6 months later, the singer of that song was on TV, doing a live concert, resplendent in what I thought was the coolest outfit I'd ever seen, kind of like an Evel Knievel jumpsuit, but cooler. I recognized it was that guy I'd sometimes seen on the afternoon movies when I'd be home from school with a cold or flu, someone my mom sometimes talked about with fondness. These films were silly little comedies from the '60s, with songs. The guy on the TV concert looked like a superhero. A friend bought the soundtrack album to the TV concert and when we hung out after school he'd play all the uptempo numbers, lifting the needle when the singer went into a ballad. Shortly after that, a record set was being sold on TV with all the guy's big hits. Every song sounded cool. My sisters and I got our mom to order one, and it stayed on the family stereo system all summer. That was the beginning.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/dpl2-0056-e-elvis/

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 am

In 1975. Heard 'It's Only love' on radio then. But did not see his picture until after he had died.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:23 pm

In 1987 I was 14yrs old. It was around august 16 and my parents just bought a brand new VHS tape recorder. My mum saw Aloha from Hawaii was going to be broadcast on tv on a sunday night. She asked me to set the tape recorder because she had no clue how to operate it. So I did. But as the time came when the show started there happened to be nothing else on tv, so we decided to watch the show. When 'Mountain' came I was completely blown away. I still remember it vividly. That's how I discovered him......

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 pm

When I was growing up in the 1960s I heard Elvis on the radio. Whenever "Can't Help Falling In Love" came on my mother would ask me to turn it up. She liked his ballads. The first film of his I saw was IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR on TV. Next was either SPEEDWAY or BLUE HAWAII. I wasn't impressed by those films at the time, but they were okay. I saw the second half of the comeback TV special in 1968. I couldn't connect with it, but I was very young. I would come to appreciate these things better when I was older. Elvis news was always in the air in those days even if there wasn't the kind of media attention there is now. I loved his latest hits on the radio, "In the Ghetto," "Suspicious Minds," "Always On My Mind," "Burning Love," "It's Only Love." I recognized that it was very different music from what he had been playing in the 1950s. I used to flip through his albums in Sam Goody, the record store, to take in how he looked and what the songs were called even though I couldn't buy them. I couldn't afford to buy all the records I wanted, so I decided to stick with Bob Dylan. Not because his songs were long whereas Elvis' song were really short but because Dylan's music had got hold of me. I read Anthony Scaduto's biography of Dylan and became fascinated. I read how Dylan was a devoted Elvis fan.

In the 1970s I remember listening to some of the Camden LP's loaned by a friend. I liked the records musically but I didn't like the jumping around in musical styles with mixes from recent live and old studio. I made a point to always watch his films when they came on TV and formed an attachment to the same ones that are my favorites now (JAILHOUSE ROCK, KING CREOLE, FOLLOW THAT DREAM and especially LOVING YOU which is my favorite Elvis film). When I watched the Aloha From Hawaii concert I liked what I heard but I didn't get what I saw at all. I'd never seen a man dressed that way. "He has on more plumage than Liberace," my father said in disgust. In our household, Elvis was for girls until he turned gay and to listen to him was to invite scorn and alarm. Nevertheless I listened and when the tours came around I tried to see Elvis a few times in concert, but I could never afford it. I thought he looked really vulnerable and sad in the ELVIS IN CONCERT special, although I liked his performance and singing in it. Sometime later when the original cut of THAT'S THE WAY IT IS came on the air I watched it and loved it. Suddenly I "got" where Elvis was coming from. I didn't mind the vanity and ego on display. My uncle was over that night. He'd been a policeman for twenty years who had just become a homicide detective. He gave me this strange look. "I bet you're the artist in the family," he said disparagingly. But my aunt was tapping her foot and smiling. When they left that night she winked at me.

Then came the 1980s. I went to see the documentary THIS IS ELVIS several times until my wife said "No more! I like Elvis too, but enough is enough." I bought the Sun Sessions LP, a number of other records including boots. I started listening to Elvis regularly although I wasn't really collecting his records. I came late to the FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS and MOODY BLUE albums and liked them very much. Previously I'd heard the songs either on the radio or in one of the greatest hits compilations. "That's more like it" my wife would say. By the 1990s I could listen to what I want without having relatives impose their judgment on it. In the late 1990s when RCA started reorganizing and revising the Elvis catalog in a disciplined way I started picking up the new CD packages. The arc of his career began to make sense musically. It was like a journey of discovery, the newly re-organized CD's. For example a I developed a new appreciation for ELVIS IS BACK! and SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY and the two gospel albums from the revised and expanded editions with the instructive liner notes. I loved the restored version of THAT'S THE WAY IT IS, so much better than Col. Parker cut.

The books became important to me. Especially Wertheimer's Elvis '56. I respond well to pictorial essays and his was the best. I read both volumes by Peter Guralnick in a fever. I really obsessed over Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love and was just bowled over by the enormity of it all. The latter is so infinitely sad. I came away from those two books with a deep respect for Elvis Presley and with an abiding love for his music. So Elvis' music has been there my whole life, approaching sixty years now. I've been trying to keep up with the latest FTD releases, but it's hopeless. My Elvis collection fills a seven-shelf bookcase, that's mostly CD's, DVD's and blu-rays, and a handful of books. I'm hooked, that's for sure.