Chat talk and light discussion

TV And Film Music Favourites

Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Starting off the topic with this John Barry masterpiece, the theme from The Persuaders.

Re: TV And Film Music Favourites

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:36 am

Nice topic, goldbelt. There are many, many film scores and television themes that I love. From Erich Wolfgang Korngold`s scores for The Adventures of Robin Hood and The Sea Chase, to John Williams` work on Raiders of the Lost Ark, Shigeru Umebayashi`s score for 2046, the theme from Night Court and The Wicker Man soundtrack.

Here's a few more.

Harry Sukman`s score for The Naked Runner. Frank Sinatra would regularly use this theme as his exit music on stage some years later. It's rich, beautifully layered and immediately striking.

Howard Shore`s extraordinarily dark and foreboding score for The Cell. This movement especially. Although there are lighter aspects to this brilliant composition, it's complex, unnerving and hugely effective in every respect.

Dimitri Tiomkin`s score for The Last Train From Gun Hill is initially brisk and bright before turning dark and menacing with one particular passage reflecting the chugging sound of a locomotive. It's a splendid musical suite that is often lively, occasionally sombre but rarely still. This is a score that's composed with a real sense of purpose at its core.

James Bernard`s hypnotic, piercing score for Scars of Dracula is beautifully written and compelling in the way it's inviting in one sense, but foreboding in another.

Joe Hisaishi`s beautiful score for Spirited Away plays on every emotion and is simply magical. There's so much colour and musical poetry in every passage no matter how simple or complex. The result being a stirring and deeply moving suite that can take the listener on a real journey.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm rather fond of the jazz soundtracks used in 1950s movies such as Crime in the Streets, Man with the Golden Arm, and, in particular, Duke Ellington's Anatomy of a Murder and Paris Blues. The Jazz on Film CD series compiled the best of these together in their first couple of boxed sets, although the series has gone off the rails now, sadly.

As for TV - the Perry Mason theme tune every time!

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

poormadpeter2 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:11 pm wrote:I'm rather fond of the jazz soundtracks used in 1950s movies such as Crime in the Streets, Man with the Golden Arm, and, in particular, Duke Ellington's Anatomy of a Murder and Paris Blues. The Jazz on Film CD series compiled the best of these together in their first couple of boxed sets, although the series has gone off the rails now, sadly.

As for TV - the Perry Mason theme tune every time!

The Man With the Golden Arm and Anatomy of a Murder soundtracks are big favourites of mine, too. I'm also tremendously fond of Alex North`s score for A Streetcar Named Desire. It's suggestive, passionate, mournful and brimming with motifs. And it was certainly groundbreaking with regards to jazz film scores.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:07 am

Another one of my favourite scores comes from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Composed by Tan Dun, the soundtrack also features a most beautiful song called A Love Before Time, which is sung by the wonderful CoCo Lee. Here's her performance of the song from the 2001 Academy Awards, with Bill Conti conducting the Academy Orchestra. I love it!

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:01 am

One of my favorites from one of my all-time favorite films.

Elvisly,

Linda