Chat talk and light discussion

Beatles made more of a change than Elvis?!

Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:10 am

according to my local newspaper

LOS ANGELES: the Beatles are the most influential entertainers of the past 100 years, beating out the likes of ELVIS PRESLEY, Charlie Chaplin, and Mickey Mouse, according to a survey conducted by show business news paper Variety

Variety said that the Beatles were the entertainment personalities who made the biggest impact on the industry and the world in the past 100 years

i got so angry at this, that i had a drink in my hand, and i spilt it on the paper

how can it be that 4 ugly crap singers, who could'nt swivel a hip, and ELVIS could do all of those PLUS MORE can win this?! the only one who can sing out of that group is John Lennon. god, this is wrong, the votes were miscalculated

sure, they wrote great songs that E recorded, and are apart of popular music today, but as far as singing a note and being stage performers, crap compared to our man

Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:26 pm

Dear Elvis Jnr.
Why not write to the editor of your local paper and tell him he's wrong. Plain and simply wrong. Really wrong. Totally and utterly wrong. He's so wrong he couldn't be more wrong if he lived in Wrong Street in the village of Wrong. Then tell him he's a twonk for printing such lies.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:35 am

elvisjnr -

It's an age thing.

Lots of newspaper editors are of the age that grew up with The Beatles as their idols.

But they are getting older, and being replaced by younger guys who didn't live through the early days of them or Elvis.

They are, more and more frequently, seeing things in their true perspective.

In other words, they are realising that Elvis rules !

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:53 am

Elvisjnr - Spilling a good drink on a bad paper is not a good way to get even with them.

Better to follow Mr. McGhee's advice and tell them they are wrong; on the wrong track; are wrong-minded; wrong-thinking; wrong worded; and don't know how to write!! And also, that they are wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Then take Colin's advice and remember that they know Elvis Rules!!
sue

Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:40 am

well i might as well write to the variety editor, cause thats who put the poll on. it was voted by the public, and the public have got it WRONG

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:04 am

Ya know when I see articles like that I laugh it off. I am preaty serious kinda fella too, but ah what the heck. Ya know its all a bunch of malarky.
Hay man don't let it get you hot.
ELVIS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE KING OF ROCK N ROLL NO MATTER WHAT !!!

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:11 am

If it is was survey how can the results be wrong ?

All it is is that the most popular opinion of a group of people surveyed is that the Beatles were the most influential entity in the past 100 years.

Fine. I believe that is most likely true that that was the most voiced opinion.

so what ?

Re: Beatles made more of a change than Elvis?!

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:20 am

elvisjnr wrote:how can it be that 4 ugly crap singers, who could'nt swivel a hip, and ELVIS could do all of those PLUS MORE can win this?! ... sure, they wrote great songs that E recorded, and are apart of popular music today, but as far as singing a note and being stage performers, crap compared to our man

Here's another clue for you, Scott:

Out of every 100 "Beatles versus Presley" debates you'll win exactly 0 with comments like those above.

DJC

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:21 pm

careful guys, what you say bad about The Beatles - Doc is a faithful follower of the Great Gods.
He won't like it!

-------

Influential is not necessarily a good term.

Yes, the Beatles were more influential than Elvis.

- influenced people to take drugs, and smoke pot
- influenced people to drop out of high school
- influenced teenage girls to run away from home (even have a song about that)
- influenced guys to quit getting haircuts and look like ratty trash

poor ol' Elvis with his pocketcomb and coolcat threads and classy cars ---

he just can't compete with unkempt psychedelic freaks.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:49 pm

I don't get it. no one has said the Beatles were more influential anyway. People here are acting as if that was the case.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:20 pm

hmmmmm.....................and to think some people think it`s the ETA`s who really give Elvis fans a bad name...... :roll:

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:17 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:... the usual hateful blather ...

You are seriously misguided, ill-informed and a waste of bandwidth.

Beware, Scott. Trust the doc.

DJC

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 am

elvisjnr wrote:well i might as well write to the variety editor, cause thats who put the poll on. it was voted by the public, and the public have got it WRONG

We know of polls that have put Elvis ahead of The Beatles and then been quietly dropped with the result never being announced !

Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:38 pm

elvisjnr wrote:well i might as well write to the variety editor, cause thats who put the poll on. it was voted by the public, and the public have got it WRONG

The public haven't got it wrong. How is it wrong just because their opinion differed from yours ?

I am of the opinion certain white wines are enjoyable, it is doubtful you would be of the same opinion as me for the same white wines.

does that mean I'm wrong and that i don't actually enjoy those wines at all ?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:35 pm

drjohncrapenter wrote: Beware, Scott. Trust the doc.

:lol:

gag!
vomit!

Aware, Scott. Destroy the doc

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:17 pm

Typical juvenile thinking. Isn't there an Elvis impersonator contest going on somewhere that you can lose??

Tom

Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:24 am

typical juvenile thinking? u don't see teens talking bout elvis and the beatles these days!

no, we don't have Elvis impersonator contests down here. i'll come over to where you live. yet again, i'm not going to be an Elvis impersonator, i'd kick their arses any day any way

i typed this thread 2 months ago and i thought it'd be forgotten. looks liek it has been resurrected

GG-yes.... master :lol:

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:42 am

The Beatles have milked the prestige of their #1 singles.

But many bands are popular and successful without singles at all.

Piss on hit singles - they sell millions of albums without them!

The Beatles have also gotten alot of mileage out of being compared to Elvis.
Sure, compared to 1960s Elvis, the Beatles look like take-control creative innovators.

But there are kids/people who do not want to listen to Ringo's drumming.
They prefer Alex Van Halen's drumming.

They don't want to hear Lennon singing about Love, love, Love.
They want to hear George Thoroughgood singing Bad To The Bone

The beatles are irrelevent dinosaurs to many young people.

Compared to Hard Rock (Van Halen, ACDC, KISS, Ozzy)
the Beatles were lite-rock wimps.

-- but oh boy, stack them up against Elvis ---
the Beatles were genius gods.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:15 pm

Steve -

You wrote:
The public haven't got it wrong.

No they haven't.

But the pollsters might have !

If the people voting in the poll aren't representative of the public at large, the result will not reflect the views of the majority.

Or the question may have been a leading one, or biased in some way.

Polling the public is quite a scientifically tricky thing to do, if you want a 'correct' result which truly reflects how people feel.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:
drjohncrapenter wrote: Beware, Scott. Trust the doc.

:lol:

gag!
vomit!

Aware, Scott. Destroy the doc

I miss G.G.!

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:50 am

For digging this up....... :smt021