Dean Z Review

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
1015elvis
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Dean Z Review

Post by 1015elvis »

So, I had the opportunity to see Dean Z in my hometown and I have some notes to give.

Good:
He is amazing at portraying a younger Elvis, the flexibility, and over-exaggeration of movements made my audience go berserk. Probably the closest I will come to a simulated experience of what most here probably experienced back in the day. The first half was easily the best, and he wasn't hiding the fact he wasn't Elvis, so I appreciate that. The band and backing vocals was also on fire.

Okay:
The leading ladies sang the Hound Dog version from the Elvis Movie that acted as a quick costume change for Dean, but the audio was off for the leading ladies that I couldn't hear them. It also happened occasionally for Dean, but not as frequently.

Bad:
The problem is that he tries to make jokes as if he was in the 1970s when he was playing 1950s Elvis. I don't have the biggest knowledge of 1950s Elvis, but it felt off. Sometimes it felt like he was putting words in other people's mouths just to sell the joke. Also, his 1970s Elvis was not the best, as he fell upon the age-old tradition of putting on a southern voice, and not really fitting with the songs. He did You Gave Me A Mountain (which should not be done by any impersonator as they always get it wrong, and it is overdone) and it didn't work. An American Trilogy was okay, but again the voice wavered to a caricature.

Overall, a very stellar performance that gives you an idea of what Elvis was like, but then leaves you wanting for the real one by the end.

A little less conversation