Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
pmp
Registered for: 4 years 11 months

HMV returns to Oxford Street

Post by pmp »

From the BBC:
The original central London HMV store is to reopen later this year after a four-year absence.

The century-old music shop chain shut its flagship store in 2019 after going into administration. It was then taken over by Sunrise Records.

It said the return to 363 Oxford Street was due to a "dramatic turnaround", with HMV returning to profit in 2022.

The store will have different branding and a new layout.

The store, which first opened in 1921, became a world-famous presence on London's busiest shopping street, hosting some of the biggest acts in the music business, such as the Spice Girls.

In recent years, the retailer has broadened its focus to include merchandise, music technology, more live music and in-store signings, amid falling demand for DVDs and CDs.

HMV said it would bring the new format, called HMV Shop, to 24 new sites and 14 existing stores by the end of 2023.

Doug Putnam, Sunrise Records' owner, said the "new concept" stores were "really working".

He added new stores would also open in Europe in 2023, which would be a "launchpad for an exciting new era for HMV".

Councillor Geoff Barraclough, Westminster City Council's cabinet member for planning and economic development, said: "The return of this famous name is proof that there's a buzz back in the West End."

Several large shops on Oxford street have closed in recent years, including Debenhams, BHS and Top Shop.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65417131
Many will be moaning that the current HMV stores aren't just selling music, but the truth is that they never just sold music. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the Oxford Street store was selling TVs - long before we were buying tapes and discs to play on them. And sometimes compromise is essential. No, I'm not interested in merchandise for the most part, but the reality is this: HMV is still open, and now expanding. Who thought that would have been possible after they went into bankruptcy twice over the last decade?

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Re: HMV returns to Oxford Street

Post by George Smith »

I'm very happy to read this.

My office is just yards away from Oxford Street, and I've spent many lunch breaks browsing and buying in that branch and its sister shop towards Tottenham Court Road.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

londonflash
Registered for: 21 years

Post by londonflash »

Bought a ton of CDs from HMV Oxford St over the years (although I think the shop I often visited during my uni years wasn't the original location that it returned to). Spent many an hour downstairs in that store when I should have been in lectures or (later) in meetings.

Moved away from London a couple of years ago and, must admit, I didn't even realise it had closed. It's so much easier, and often cheaper, to buy online. Case it point, was dragged to Bluewater today, so popped into the HMV there and the prices were much higher, not just a couple of quid more. Rental costs and other factors, I guess.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Topic author
pmp

Post by pmp »

londonflash wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:22 am
Bought a ton of CDs from HMV Oxford St over the years (although I think the shop I often visited during my uni years wasn't the original location that it returned to). Spent many an hour downstairs in that store when I should have been in lectures or (later) in meetings.

Moved away from London a couple of years ago and, must admit, I didn't even realise it had closed. It's so much easier, and often cheaper, to buy online. Case it point, was dragged to Bluewater today, so popped into the HMV there and the prices were much higher, not just a couple of quid more. Rental costs and other factors, I guess.
Oddly, I often find their Blu rays are cheaper than Amazon, although I understand vinyl is more expensive, but I generally don't buy new vinyl. Often their jazz and classical cds are cheaper, too, but they put the price on the back rather than the front, so it's less likely you're going to be lured in.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

pmp wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:42 am
londonflash wrote:

Oddly, I often find their Blu rays are cheaper than Amazon, although I understand vinyl is more expensive, but I generally don't buy new vinyl. Often their jazz and classical cds are cheaper, too, but they put the price on the back rather than the front, so it's less likely you're going to be lured in.
Yes, come to think of it, the CDs I looked at had the prices on the back. You can certainly still find bargains there. It helps that you can whip out your phone and do a quick online comparison these days.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Topic author
pmp

Post by pmp »

londonflash wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:51 am
pmp wrote:
londonflash wrote:

Yes, come to think of it, the CDs I looked at had the prices on the back. You can certainly still find bargains there. It helps that you can whip out your phone and do a quick online comparison these days.
Not in Norwich. No bloody signal! Interestingly, their price for the forthcoming 88CD box of the conductor Ansermet is £17 cheaper than Amazon - although that's online, but the prices are generally the same. Their collectors blu ray section is generally impressive, and there's always a deal of some sort or other on those shelves.

Greystoke
Registered for: 1 year 2 months

Post by Greystoke »

pmp wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:45 am
londonflash wrote:
pmp wrote:
londonflash wrote:

Not in Norwich. No bloody signal! Interestingly, their price for the forthcoming 88CD box of the conductor Ansermet is £17 cheaper than Amazon - although that's online, but the prices are generally the same. Their collectors blu ray section is generally impressive, and there's always a deal of some sort or other on those shelves.
Amazon hasn't dropped the price of Arrow's 4K Bruce Lee box set either. HMV have. And I'll probably buy from them instead if Amazon doesn't bring the price in line with Arrow themselves and HMV. Which is about a £50 difference just now!

I haven't been in HMV this year, though. The Glasgow stores have either closed or downsized considerably over the years. Both the Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street branches were terrific in their heyday. I met Craig McLachlan of all people in the latter, when he was promoting a single in the nineties. He was convinced he knew me from a KISS concert.

I was in the Oxford Street HMV a few times over the years. It was always someplace I would drop into when visiting London in the past. And if they're open next time I'm there, I'll be sure to visit.

They also used to deliver orders back in the nineties, too. I remember buying records and VHS tapes from them via cheque or postal order. And they were always reliable. I don't know if this was something they did ordinarily. But it was appreciated.

Tower Records in Glasgow was another great store. It had several floors and just a huge range of music and films. I saw Bon Jovi there in 1995, when they performed from the first floor windows. There was also two superb Virgin Megastores in Glasgow, too. The one on Buchanan Street was a multi-story refurbished hotel. And again, the selection was incredible.

Topic author
pmp

Post by pmp »

Greystoke wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 6:01 pm
pmp wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:45 am
londonflash wrote:
pmp wrote:
londonflash wrote:

Amazon hasn't dropped the price of Arrow's 4K Bruce Lee box set either. HMV have. And I'll probably buy from them instead if Amazon doesn't bring the price in line with Arrow themselves and HMV. Which is about a £50 difference just now!

I haven't been in HMV this year, though. The Glasgow stores have either closed or downsized considerably over the years. Both the Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street branches were terrific in their heyday. I met Craig McLachlan of all people in the latter, when he was promoting a single in the nineties. He was convinced he knew me from a KISS concert.

I was in the Oxford Street HMV a few times over the years. It was always someplace I would drop into when visiting London in the past. And if they're open next time I'm there, I'll be sure to visit.

They also used to deliver orders back in the nineties, too. I remember buying records and VHS tapes from them via cheque or postal order. And they were always reliable. I don't know if this was something they did ordinarily. But it was appreciated.

Tower Records in Glasgow was another great store. It had several floors and just a huge range of music and films. I saw Bon Jovi there in 1995, when they performed from the first floor windows. There was also two superb Virgin Megastores in Glasgow, too. The one on Buchanan Street was a multi-story refurbished hotel. And again, the selection was incredible.
Yes, I ordered the 4CD Sinatra Reprise Collection from the London HMV, and had it delivered. The Rhino Bobby Darin box too.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Good that the shop is back

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!