Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 pm

brian on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 pm wrote:Does anyone here have a netflix subscription on this site. I was wondering if anyone has seen these netflix original movies and could tell me if they were worth watching or not.

The Siege of Jardotville
Small crimes
Shimmer lake
ARQ
Spectral
Tallulah

Not me, unfortunately. Although there are some Netflix films that I would like to see.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 pm

goldbelt on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:12 am wrote:I'm on the fifth episode of Feud now and have to say that I'm enjoying this series tremendously. I can't recommend it highly enough and came across a comparison between Susan Sarandon and Bette Davis on YouTube, showing Davis`s performance of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? on the Andy Williams Show. And whilst Sarandon doesn't really resemble Davis, she's believable in the role, understands Davis and gets to the heart of her character. Although Davis displays a radiance in this performance that Sarandon doesn't quite find.

Feud seems a very interesting production. I have watched some of the episodes here and there while on in the background but what I have watched of it got me interested enough to view the BBC2 screening of the actual 'Whatever Happened To' movie for the first time. I found it to be a very good movie.

It might be nice if BBC2 screens some other classic movies from these two screen legends, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, as I have not really explored the work of either actress before.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is very good indeed. And BBC2 has been running a Bette Davis/Joan Crawford season in conjunction with Feud. Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte is on after Feud tonight. All About Eve was shown this afternoon. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane followed last week's episodes, whilst Mildred Pierce and Possessed have also been shown since Feud started. The Letter is also on next Saturday and there was a Davis/Crawford Talking Pictures. Most of which may be on the iPlayer.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Greystoke on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm wrote:
goldbelt on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:12 am wrote:I'm on the fifth episode of Feud now and have to say that I'm enjoying this series tremendously. I can't recommend it highly enough and came across a comparison between Susan Sarandon and Bette Davis on YouTube, showing Davis`s performance of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? on the Andy Williams Show. And whilst Sarandon doesn't really resemble Davis, she's believable in the role, understands Davis and gets to the heart of her character. Although Davis displays a radiance in this performance that Sarandon doesn't quite find.

Feud seems a very interesting production. I have watched some of the episodes here and there while on in the background but what I have watched of it got me interested enough to view the BBC2 screening of the actual 'Whatever Happened To' movie for the first time. I found it to be a very good movie.

It might be nice if BBC2 screens some other classic movies from these two screen legends, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, as I have not really explored the work of either actress before.

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is very good indeed. And BBC2 has been running a Bette Davis/Joan Crawford season in conjunction with Feud. Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte is on after Feud tonight. All About Eve was shown this afternoon. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane followed last week's episodes, whilst Mildred Pierce and Possessed have also been shown since Feud started. The Letter is also on next Saturday and there was a Davis/Crawford Talking Pictures. Most of which may be on the iPlayer.

Thanks for that!

How do you rate the rest of the movie you have mentioned?

Which would you say are their best films?

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 pm

goldbelt on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm wrote:
Thanks for that!

That's a tough question to answer, because both of them acted in some terrific films that I'm very fond of. But Mildred Pierce rates highly in my opinion. As does the 2011 mini-series that starred Kate Winslet in the title role. With regards to Crawford, however, I really like Strange Cargo, Possessed (1947), Sudden Fear and Johnny Guitar. And I've got a bit of a soft spot for Reunion in France. Although John Wayne and Jules Dassin had much better efforts to come.

All About Eve is certainly one of Davis` finest films and The Letter is also very good. Now, Voyager is also splendid and I'm a big fan of Jimmy the Gent and The Petrified Forest, although she's in smaller roles here. But it's Bogart who really stands out in the latter. Whilst the former is prime Cagney in many ways.

The original Kid Galahad is also good. Dark Victory is terrific and I'm very fond of The Bride Came C.O.D. Again, starring James Cagney. Latterly, Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte and The Nanny are also worth seeing. With Davis finding a new niche playing demented and oppressive characters after Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. But 1987`s The Whales of August is a charming gem of a film.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Trailers for the 1945 and 2011 versions of Mildred Pierce.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Greystoke on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:40 pm wrote:
goldbelt on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm wrote:
Thanks for that!

That's a tough question to answer, because both of them acted in some terrific films that I'm very fond of. But Mildred Pierce rates highly in my opinion. As does the 2011 mini-series that starred Kate Winslet in the title role. With regards to Crawford, however, I really like Strange Cargo, Possessed (1947), Sudden Fear and Johnny Guitar. And I've got a bit of a soft spot for Reunion in France. Although John Wayne and Jules Dassin had much better efforts to come.

All About Eve is certainly one of Davis` finest films and The Letter is also very good. Now, Voyager is also splendid and I'm a big fan of Jimmy the Gent and The Petrified Forest, although she's in smaller roles here. But it's Bogart who really stands out in the latter. Whilst the former is prime Cagney in many ways.

The original Kid Galahad is also good. Dark Victory is terrific and I'm very fond of The Bride Came C.O.D. Again, starring James Cagney. Latterly, Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte and The Nanny are also worth seeing. With Davis finding a new niche playing demented and oppressive characters after Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. But 1987`s The Whales of August is a charming gem of a film.

Thanks for taking the time to make this detailed reply.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:12 pm

No problem at all, goldbelt. I'll probably watch Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte after Feud tonight.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sazwa_m ... D&index=11

45th anniversary Lee's 3rd movie Way of Dragon (aka Return)

Check out the amazing movie poster sgd by WIS , is that a beauty or what :mrgreen:

Trivia :

-Rome capo is named William
-Colts first name is Arthur
-Marco Pane played the ice cream boy , he watched Lee film for 12 hrs at Rome airport
-final movie of his own that Lee saw in cinema (Enter was released post-death)
-of the 4 completed Lee films only Jon Benn aka Rome capo is left of the main bad guys

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:08 am

Daphne from Scooby Doo RIP

Yehudi Afroni RIP (russian priest , Delta Force.....about 10 of the actors from that movie are now gone)

Wheels on Meals , original Eng dub....very 80s soundtrack , hadn't watched it in 25+ yrs. Chans Way of Dragon this is , more or less.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:20 pm

Wheels on Meals is a fantastic film. Always a joy to revisit.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Greystoke on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 pm wrote:I'll probably watch Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte after Feud tonight.

I watched 'Charlotte' and enjoyed it.

Aldrich did a good job directing and Miss de Havilland looked attractive and was great here too. Shame this was her last major role until 1972 and 'The Screaming Woman' (a movie I have yet to see).

I wasn't aware she was still around at the young age of 101 (born 1916).

Andy

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:01 pm

jetblack on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 pm wrote:I'll probably watch Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte after Feud tonight.

Aldrich did a good job directing and Miss de Havilland looked attractive and was great here too. Shame this was her last major role until 1972 and 'The Screaming Woman' (a movie I have yet to see).

Andy

Olivia is still alive and well, from what I understand, and sued the makers of Fued last year for unauthorised use of her name. But she is great in Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte. With her gentleness and polite nature proving the ideal contrast to Davis and being the perfect counterpoint to events in the film's final act.

But one of the things I really like about this film is, as you've said, Robert Aldrich`s work. His camera movement and framing is especially good. With the former being subtle, gentle and natural in its movement. Whilst the latter is often sharp and constricting. With great close-ups and stark positioning of his actors within the frame. It's a fine film, indeed. And it's a pity Olivia didn't find more roles in the sixties, because she was a very good actor.

This said, changing times and different trends had an affect on many actors in the mid-sixties, but Olivia was just 48 when Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte was released. Although women of a similar age still have difficulties finding good roles today.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:31 pm

saw Star Wars. Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill were the highlights. the rest of the new characters i have no interest in. just don't care about them. Laura dern. benecio del toro added nothing of interest. and i still don't like Adam Driver as the pouting villain.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:02 am

I came across another great side-by-side comparison relating to Feud on YouTube and thought it was worth sharing -- although it may be best avoided if you haven't watched this series and do intend to. But great writing and splendid performances aside, it's the staging and construction of scenes such as this, that makes Feud so very compelling, in my opinion.

And some of these comparison videos are quite well done.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:10 am

Another terrific comparison video on YouTube shows Fred Astaire`s influence on Michael Jackson. No spoilers here. Just incredible dancing set to the fantastic Smooth Criminal.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:16 pm

jetblack on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:37 pm wrote:

Andy

I have completely missed both Feud and the season of films linked to it - although i will catch it on iplayer in the coming weeks. The Screaming Woman is a good movie, though - scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 am

*Contains spoilers*

The release last year of the complete series of the 1930s and 1940s Universal Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolf Man movies on blu-ray has, no doubt, had many, like myself, revisiting some of the films from these cycles that they hadn’t seen in some time – only this time in much better quality. It is worth adding that, perhaps appropriately, the Invisible Man movies are nowhere to be seen on blu-ray with the exception of the original movie. Without doubt, these films look wonderful in high definition, and some of them really come to life in a way they hadn’t in their DVD incarnation.

Dracula’s Daughter (1936) is a key example. This is a weird, dark, and eerie film that came at the end of the first cycle of Universal horror films during the sound period. On blu-ray, all of that weirdness seems even more startling, and the picture quality for a film of this vintage is truly stunning.

Werewolf of London (1935), from a year earlier, was another that I enjoyed revisiting over the Christmas period. Not part of the Wolf Man series at all, but a stand alone effort from six years before Lon Chaney Jr started having a problem with facial hair, this one suffers a little from rather sedate pacing, but is still an interesting movie nonetheless and is certainly better than many of the Universal horror movies of the 1940s.

In fact, Werewolf of London was the last film I saw in 2017, and so it only seemed right that She-Wolf of London (1946) was the first I screened in 2018. This is probably the least-known of all the films on the recent blu ray sets, and yet it is also one of the best. As with Werewolf of London, it is not part of the Wolf Man series, but a stand alone feature starring June Lockhart as a young woman who fears she has the family curse of becoming a werewolf when there are a series of murders and attacks in a park close to her home.

I confess I don’t have much time for the “House of” series, in which the various Universal monsters come together in one film, that dominated the 1940s horror cycle. By this point, the series had, arguably, lost its way, becoming more fantasy (and comedy) than horror. She-Wolf of London isn’t really traditional horror either – no hairy beasts are seen within the movie at all, with the except of a couple of dogs. Instead, we have a film which seems to be a mix of Gaslight, the Val Lewton films for RKO, and even Rebecca. It seems almost ironic that Universal, who at one point led the way with regards to horror during the previous decade, here borrows from what other studios were doing. The central character’s obsession with her supposed family curse has a great deal in common with Cat People (1942) from the Lewton/RKO series and The Undying Monster, made by Fox. Sadly, She-Wolf of London doesn’t have the same intelligent script or sense of dread as Cat People, although it certainly treads some of the same ground thematically. It is still a taut little thriller, aided and abetted by some really fine performances, including the wide-eyed June Lockhart herself, but also Jan Wiley, who does well in a far less showy role. Sara Haden, meanwhile, chews up and spits out the scenery.

Running at only 61 minutes, the mystery element isn’t given room to be taxing, and the ending comes about rather suddenly, but the film seems remarkably classy compared to the other horrors that Universal were producing at the time, and the period atmosphere is nicely sustained throughout. Certainly an enjoyable way of spending an hour if you prefer your horror to be of a sinister rather than supernatural variety.

[url]silentmovieblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/she-wolf-of-london-1946/[/url]

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 am

Hopefully there's still room for more Blu-rays from Universal with regards to their monster films and mysteries, because the titles they have released really shine on the format. And whilst some of the content is quite uneven, as you've said, Shane, the restorations themselves are uniformly stellar. Although, it's just a pity a collective box set wasn't released when there's so much duplication when buying the themed sets.

With regards to the present, the outlook for Universal`s Dark Universe now seems entirely bleak after The Mummy`s poor reception. Bride of Frankenstein was supposed to start shooting early this year, but it's indefinitely postponed now. And I wouldn't be certain of Cruise coming back for another round in a franchise that's stuck in a dead end. Best laid plans and all that . . . But there is The Shape of Water.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:29 am

Yes, I saw the trailer for that the other day. It looks rather fun, and I'll try and catch it in a cinema rather than wait for it to come on DVD.

It's a shame about the duplication on the Universal sets, especially when the Black Lagoon and Invisible Man films aren't available at all, with the exception of the first film in each series. It would be great to see follow-up sets featuring Poe-inspired films, for example, such as The Raven, The Black Cat, Murders at the Rue Morgue, Mystery of Marie Roget, and the Loves of Edgar Allen Poe. The Old Dark House is on its way to blu ray this year or next anyway. The 1941 Black Cat, Horror Island, Night Monster etc would be great see on blu-ray too.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:13 am

I watched The Zookeeper`s Wife last night and have to say that I wasn't nearly as won over by this film as r&b was. Although it does have many strong and vivid aspects, but I found it uneven, underwritten in some respects, and lacking a better sense of narrative culpability in the way Nazi atrocities are counterbalanced with animal cruelty and a likening of humans to animals. The story centering on a Polish husband and wife who run the Warsaw zoo, but find ways to hide Jewish refugees there during the Nazi occupation of Poland

I was also bothered by Jessica Chastain`s accent, which was gentle enough, but felt superficial and limiting to her performance. This being a problem with actors putting on accents for the sake of authenticity when, in actual fact, they're speaking English in a country that isn't English-speaking. So it makes no sense and doesn't work here. Which is a pity, because Chastain is a fine actress who can bring real depth and compassion to her characters. And I did like her character here.

What really works in The Zookeeper`s Wife is some of the imagery. From animals being killed to corners of the Jewish ghettos that are populated by some unique, desperate characters. Whilst the sense of community that's developed in the hiding of refugees works well despite these characters being underwritten.

The same is also true of Daniel Bruhl`s Nazi zoologist who appears to have something of depth in his character makeup, but this is forsaken as he becomes merely another despicable officer. And whilst characters come and go too fleetingly (e.g., the entomologist who turns up then vanishes), there's an unfortunate contrast of powerful simplicity and hackneyed connotations. On the one hand, children being ushered unwittingly onto trains bound for gas chambers carries a sad innocence, then there's the way animal traits and characteristics are transposed with a heavy hand onto characters. The way a young, abused girl, cowers like a frightened rabbit, how Chastain drapes herself like a lioness across her bed, Bruhl standing proud next to a stuffed eagle and cliched lines of dialogue (“a human zoo”, “trapped like rats”, etc.) that don't ring true.

Ultimately, however, this is a story worth telling and whilst there are aspects of The Zookeeper`s Wife that don't work, it can be involving when it's appreciated just what's at stake. Although a race against time in the final act feels forced. But if this isn't Jessica Chastain at her best, her personality comes through in a role she obviously held in high regard. Still, more is the pity that something with better focus and perhaps a greater understanding of time and place wasn't crafted here. Because I wanted to like this film more than I did.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 am

While I was a Mum's over Christmas, I found a bunch of DVDs I had lent Dad seven or eight years ago and so brought them back home. Amongst them was Shattered Glass, an intriguing movie starring Hayden Christensen, which perhaps has more relevance in 2017 than 2003 when it was made, dealing as it does with fake news! Christensen plays Stephen Glass, a journalist for the New Republic magazine in America, who was found to have made up more than half of the articles that he wrote. A true story, the film seemed to have gained relatively negative press on release, not least because of the sympathetic picture it paints of Glass, who just happened to have released a novel at the time of the film's release. But the cynical elements of the film's release shouldn't distract from how good a movie this is. Christensen is much maligned as an actor, and has faded from stardom, but I think he is superb here (as he also was in Jumper, a very different movie to this, but which I also like very much). Shattered Glass gives us no real reasoning for why Glass did what he did, and perhaps it works better that way. Sometimes people do things for no obvious reason. There is a fine supporting cast too, including Peter Sarsgaard, who was nominated for numerous awards for his role whereas Christensen wasn't. But Christensen had just been in the Attack of the Clones, hardly a movie to make him the darling of the festival circuit as Sarsgaard has been. In the end, Christensen took four years out from movies altogether, returning to the screen in a series of film in the unlikely guise of an action hero.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 am

I saw Shattered Glass when it was released back in 2003 and I think I've seen it once since then. I'm not certain. But it is a good film. It's smart, well-written and well-directed, and Christensen is good in the leading role. And despite what escapes me with regards to the finer details of this film, it's Hayden`s pleading, desperate, almost childlike nature that still resonates.

The cast is also good, if memory serves me right, and Billy Ray is certainly a fine writer. He's also directed since this film's release, both for cinema and television, although I've only seen the fairly good - but superbly-cast - Secrets in Their Eyes. I'll have to watch Shattered Glass again, though. Thanks for the reminder, Shane.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:23 am

Greystoke on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:01 am wrote:I saw Shattered Glass when it was released back in 2003 and I think I've seen it once since then. I'm not certain. But it is a good film. It's smart, well-written and well-directed, and Christensen is good in the leading role. And despite what escapes me with regards to the finer details of this film, it's Hayden`s pleading, desperate, almost childlike nature that still resonates.

The cast is also good, if memory serves me right, and Billy Ray is certainly a fine writer. He's also directed since this film's release, both for cinema and television, although I've only seen the fairly good - but superbly-cast - Secrets in Their Eyes. I'll have to watch Shattered Glass again, though. Thanks for the reminder, Shane.

Yes, my understanding is that Christensen's childlike nature is rather different to the real character!!

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 am

With Olivia de Havilland being discussed in relation to both Feud and Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte, it's good to see a big recommendation from DVDBeaver for Kino`s newly-released Not As a Stranger Blu-ray.

This film was a huge hit in 1955, although its renown has dimmed over the years. But it's certainly worth revisiting and I look forward to seeing it on Blu-ray. The performances are really terrific even if the central cast is just too old for their roles. But it works. And what a cast . . . Olivia de Havilland, Frank Sinatra, Robert Mitchum, Gloria Grahame, Broderick Crawford, Lon Chaney, Jr., Lee Marvin, Harry Morgan and Charles Bickford.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:12 pm

goldbelt on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:22 am wrote:
Greystoke on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:33 am wrote:Talking of ratings, it looks like Crooked House done well on Channel 5, drawing an average of 1.9 million viewers. Not counting live+ numbers. And this must be considered a real success. Which will be added to with a repeat screening over the Christmas weekend.

Recorded this one but haven't watched it yet. Looked good from the trailer.

I'm not sure how interesting this is for anybody other than myself, but I'm just looking over some of the Christmas TV ratings in the U.K. and Crooked House was watched by an impressive 2.64 million with regards to its live +1 figures. A real success for both Channel 5 and the studio behind this adaptation. Whilst the repeat attracted a further 1 million viewers.