Chat talk and light discussion

Re: The official 'I'm Leaving' thread!

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 am

Rob wrote:You could just stop logging in.

Give it a shot and let us know if it works.

smt174

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 am

pingpong wrote:
norrie wrote:
pingpong wrote:I am a newbie on here relatively speaking, but I have had enough of PM's from current and ex members (?). To the Moderator - please delete my account. Thank you .

You could always just disable the PM function it's not that hard to work out.

norrie

moderators please delete this account...the arrogance on this board knows no bounds...

I know I'm not arrogant.
Just great.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:46 am

Time to take a break. Leaving early tomorrow where I can't be bothered by a computer or cell phone. Well, I could if I took them with me, but I'm not gonna. Just beach, waves and sunshine. I'm gonna miss you bastards, though. 'Til we meet you again, may God bless you.

Adios.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:30 am

I'am leavin' this silly thread!

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:47 pm

I've finally had enough of certain people here who seem to do nothing but call me an "attention-seeker."

I am NOT an attention seeker and I think that most of my posts here bear that out! I can't help it if I'm disabled and can't work a normal daily job to afford things I want (such as a certain guitar that I recently posted about that angered some members)! Put yourself in my place for one DAY and maybe...just MAYBE you might see how difficult things are for me!

Goodbye.......

Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I've finally had enough of certain people here who seem to do nothing but call me an "attention-seeker."

I am NOT an attention seeker and I think that most of my posts here bear that out! I can't help it if I'm disabled and can't work a normal daily job to afford things I want (such as a certain guitar that I recently posted about that angered some members)! Put yourself in my place for one DAY and maybe...just MAYBE you might see how difficult things are for me!

Goodbye.......

Some people here put on affected "personas." A whole show of what tough guys they want you to think they are. Remember that a lot of these folks are just playing a role.

Don't let their foolishness get you down!

I think you are brave and helpful to others to share your struggles with us. There are "lurkers" here: very shy people who don't post. A number of them might have similar problems such as yours. They need you!

You are in a tough spot: it's hard to do what you love when you always have to be asking permission, and you're a full-grown adult. I know what it is to be sick and broke, and not able to have things without feeling ashamed and guilty about it.

I think the idea of crowd-funding, rather than going to your family is a good idea because this is something you are doing on your own. If people don't want to give, or can't, well, you tried.

Just remember one thing: there are probably able-bodied "rich kids" here whose families give them luxuries all the time. Or they married well. So, don't pay it much mind!

But if you need a vacation, take it. But as I said, the key is under the front door mat.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:35 pm

rjm wrote:But if you need a vacation, take it. But as I said, the key is under the front door mat.

I think he'd much rather you left him a $100 bill under that mat...

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Tony Trout wrote:I've finally had enough of certain people here who seem to do nothing but call me an "attention-seeker."

Goodbye.......

Hey man, ignore those negative people. You see them go after me almost every day on this forum, but they can never win because I won't let them. They are just bitter, lonely individuals with less interest in the subject of this forum than causing trouble by behaving like children.

Do what I do, take the high road, appreciate all the good members here (just look at rjm's post) and have fun with the man and his music.

You are a good man and Elvis would have very much liked you.

::rocks

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:30 pm

rjm wrote:Just remember one thing: there are probably able-bodied "rich kids" here whose families give them luxuries all the time. Or they married well. So, don't pay it much mind!
Sent via mobile

I'm not rich at all. And there is nothing wrong about being rich. The idea is to buy what you can afford w/out jeopardizing the first needs that to me are food and shelter.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Goodbye.......

Hey man, ignore those negative people. You see them go after me almost every day on this forum, but they can never win because I won't let them. They are just bitter, lonely individuals with less interest in the subject of this forum than causing trouble by behaving like children.

Do what I do, take the high road, appreciate all the good members here (just look at rjm's post) and have fun with the man and his music.

You are a good man and Elvis would have very much liked you.

::rocks

Many thanks for the kind mention, John.

And indeed, Elvis would have liked Tony very much.

And ELVIS gave freely to others, rich and poor alike, without asking, or *answering* any questions about it. And he gave "luxury items." That's just a fact!

rjm

Sent via mobile

Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 am

I wonder if some have read what Tony has said about his life? How difficult it is and has been? Have they looked at his profile? Have they placed themselves in his shoes? Do they know anyone disabled to know how tough it is? Have they had the pain? Have they had the operations? Have they known the worry of waiting for results? Seeing worry in their loved ones' eyes? Have they had the worry, as Tony's mum would have had, about her child having difficulties? All this would be the background.

Gee, next time they light up a cigarette, approach someone of the opposite sex, have a drink, walk around on legs without having trouble walking, jump in a body of water, ride a motorbike, jump up or down off something, easily work a full day's work for money, do anything that those with disabilities cannot do.

Please give a thought for others...

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 am

Mountain Misst wrote:I wonder if some have read what Tony has said about his life? How difficult it is and has been? Have they looked at his profile? Have they placed themselves in his shoes? Do they know anyone disabled to know how tough it is? Have they had the pain? Have they had the operations? Have they known the worry of waiting for results? Seeing worry in their loved ones' eyes? Have they had the worry, as Tony's mum would have had, about her child having difficulties? All this would be the background.

Gee, next time they light up a cigarette, approach someone of the opposite sex, have a drink, walk around on legs without having trouble walking, jump in a body of water, ride a motorbike, jump up or down off something, easily work a full day's work for money, do anything that those with disabilities cannot do.

Well put Misst ! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am

Mountain Misst wrote:I wonder if some have read what Tony has said about his life? How difficult it is and has been? Have they looked at his profile? Have they placed themselves in his shoes? Do they know anyone disabled to know how tough it is? Have they had the pain? Have they had the operations? Have they known the worry of waiting for results? Seeing worry in their loved ones' eyes? Have they had the worry, as Tony's mum would have had, about her child having difficulties? All this would be the background.

What has this got to do with asking people for money to buy a $3500 guitar? He hasn't even told us how much he got got the guitar he traded in.

I work quite frequently with people with disabilities and everyone here should be well aware that they would feel the same way about Tonys request that some of us here do.

People here are looking at this as a guy with a disability asking for money for luxury item, but the fact that people with disabilities around the world have worked very hard so that their disability does not define them and here we have Tony using his disability to get people to feel sorry for him and tug on the old heart strings.

The next time ye see a soldier after returning from wherever, and he is badly disfigured and on a wheelchair and he is struggling to cope back home, give a thought for Tonys $3500 guitar.

It is greed plain and simple.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:04 pm

memfisking wrote:I work quite frequently with people with disabilities and everyone here should be well aware that they would feel the same way about Tonys request that some of us here do.

People here are looking at this as a guy with a disability asking for money for luxury item, but the fact that people with disabilities around the world have worked very hard so that their disability does not define them and here we have Tony using his disability to get people to feel sorry for him and tug on the old heart strings.

The next time ye see a soldier after returning from wherever, and he is badly disfigured and on a wheelchair and he is struggling to cope back home, give a thought for Tonys $3500 guitar.

It is greed plain and simple.

Spot on. It's insulting to those with disabilities when someone trades on their disability. And also I speak as someone who occasionally works with people with disabilities, and have done since the 90's. I'm sure the 'walk a mile in his shoes' brigade here are well meaning, and I understand their point, but when someone openly tries to solicit sympathy for their disability, to buy an item of luxury, it's simply not on.

I do music sessions for people with much more debilitating disabilities than Tony, and they can't afford even a cheap guitar. How many cheap guitars would $3,500 buy?

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:54 pm

memfisking wrote:

What has this got to do with asking people for money to buy a $3500 guitar? He hasn't even told us how much he got got the guitar he traded in.

FYI: I only got HALF out of what I wanted ($700.00 out of the $1,500.00 I originally asked for) AND the bastard kept my guitar pickups -- which we didn't agree on! And it's got a LOT to do with nicely asking people to donate because I normally have to live on the $$$ I make at gigs.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 pm

memfisking wrote:

FYI: I only got HALF out of what I wanted ($700.00 out of the $1,500.00 I originally asked for) AND the bastard kept my guitar pickups -- which we didn't agree on! And it's got a LOT to do with nicely asking people to donate because I normally have to live on the $$$ I make at gigs.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:14 am

Tony, take things from whence they come. Elvis would have bought you the guitar without a word, and woe unto anyone who would question him!

If you are not interested, don't tell other people what to do! No one is being "used": it's a decision that one makes based on numerous factors. But it's not a decision for "Bill Tanner" to make for anyone else. He's not taking money from "little old ladies" for heaven's sake! He's ASKING, with the understanding that not everyone can do it. Or, in many cases, the understanding that some do not wish to. That's fine; no one is forcing anyone to do anything.

If you're not interested, move along. If you can't due to financial considerations, I am sure he understands. I haven't known Tony's friendship to ever be conditional.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:30 am

rjm wrote:No one is being "used": it's a decision that one makes based on numerous factors.

Fair comment. If you're in a financial position to do so, rjm, how much have you/are you going to donate to Tony's revised target of $1,500 to help make his dream come true? I'm also interested to know - and I guess this will help those people who may be considering making a donation - what happens to any money donated in the event that the total raised is insufficient for the guitar to be bought? Will it all be refunded or does it go towards buying other items?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:40 am

A gentle reminder from FECC Management -

This is the Official 'I'm Leaving' thread. Please keep it that way.

Thank you

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 am

Garfield wrote:
rjm wrote:No one is being "used": it's a decision that one makes based on numerous factors.

Fair comment. If you're in a financial position to do so, rjm, how much have you/are you going to donate to Tony's revised target of $1,500 to help make his dream come true? I'm also interested to know - and I guess this will help those people who may be considering making a donation - what happens to any money donated in the event that the total raised is insufficient for the guitar to be bought? Will it all be refunded or does it go towards buying other items?

That is very unfair to begin with, asking me, personally: it's none of your beeswax, frankly. But no, I don't have that kind of money. Wish I did.

I just gave a FB friend my old Kindle Paperwite. She paid the postage. We're even -- and she can enjoy a Paperwite. It didn't cost me anything. This would be of different order of magnitude, obviously. You do what you can. I didn't give her the third degree. She needed one; I had a spare one. Done.

This is a different order of magnitude. If I were rich, I think would make somebody happy. Not because he's disabled: just because I could. If I could. Call me crazy.

As for an item falling short of total, check the gofundme.com site. They make the rules.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:43 am

Rob wrote:You could just stop logging in.

Give it a shot and let us know if it works.

THIS is how "official" it is!

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:53 am

rjm wrote:As for an item falling short of total, check the gofundme.com site. They make the rules.
rjm

Rules, eh?

Are you a Christian, by any chance?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:59 am

Bill Tanner wrote:
rjm wrote:As for an item falling short of total, check the gofundme.com site. They make the rules.
rjm

Rules, eh?

Are you a Christian, by any chance?

No.

I am 3/4 Jewish by birth. My grandfather was Christian.

I do admire the philosophy, but I don't follow any organized faith. Christmas is my most favorite holiday!

That is certainly personal! :o

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:03 am

Okay, I was wrong. I pegged you as a Christian.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:13 am

Bill Tanner wrote:Okay, I was wrong. I pegged you as a Christian.

My high school Bible teacher would be proud. ;)

rjm

Sent via mobile