Post here your Elvis' pictures

ELVIS AND CHOW GETLOW

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Interview with Linda Thompson by Alanna Nash

Elvis was a very tender soul. He had such a good heart. We literally bought out a pet shop one night. Elvis paid for about 20 dogs, just gave them out to his friends. And we kept this chow, little Get low. He was a beautiful dog, but Elvis was going to get rid of him because we read an article that said chows turn on their masters 80 percent of the time. Elvis said, ‘I don’t want to have to be worried about leaving this dog with you, or come home and find you have to have plastic surgery’. But I said, ‘Oh, give the little fella a chance. He may turn out all right’.

So I raised him, and he turned out to be as gentle as a kitten. He was our sweetheart. But he had a congenital kidney ailment. I don’t know if that made him so lethargic he didn’t feel like being mean, but he had a wonderful disposition. About three o’clock one morning, Getlow was acting really strange, so we had a doctor come over. He said, ‘I don’t think the dog will make it through the night’.

So Elvis leased a Learjet and flew Get low, my girlfriend, Jeannie LeMay and me, and the doctor up to Boston to a special clinic for kidney dialysis. We left him up there for about three months. But he didn’t live long after that. He was only about a year old. We were on tour when he died, and we were coming home on his plane when they told us. Elvis just cried.

Re: ELVIS AND CHOW GETLOW

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 am

lanadelslay on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm wrote:Image
Interview with Linda Thompson by Alanna Nash

Elvis was a very tender soul. He had such a good heart. We literally bought out a pet shop one night. Elvis paid for about 20 dogs, just gave them out to his friends. And we kept this chow, little Get low. He was a beautiful dog, but Elvis was going to get rid of him because we read an article that said chows turn on their masters 80 percent of the time. Elvis said, ‘I don’t want to have to be worried about leaving this dog with you, or come home and find you have to have plastic surgery’. But I said, ‘Oh, give the little fella a chance. He may turn out all right’.

So I raised him, and he turned out to be as gentle as a kitten. He was our sweetheart. But he had a congenital kidney ailment. I don’t know if that made him so lethargic he didn’t feel like being mean, but he had a wonderful disposition. About three o’clock one morning, Getlow was acting really strange, so we had a doctor come over. He said, ‘I don’t think the dog will make it through the night’.

So Elvis leased a Learjet and flew Get low, my girlfriend, Jeannie LeMay and me, and the doctor up to Boston to a special clinic for kidney dialysis. We left him up there for about three months. But he didn’t live long after that. He was only about a year old. We were on tour when he died, and we were coming home on his plane when they told us. Elvis just cried.

Such a nice story, and a sweet doggie. Linda is still a canine enthusiast today.

A fuller version of that interview from the site, along with a larger version of the Elvis stage shot, is here:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89908&p=1422250#p1422250

Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:27 am

In the banter on the Jungle Room album (FTD or RCA) Elvis says something like "Damn if Getlo didn't show up, didn't he?" Does anyone know when the dog passed? Doc?

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:23 am

MRM on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm wrote:In the banter on the Jungle Room album (FTD or RCA) Elvis says something like "Damn if Getlo didn't show up, didn't he?"

That was (most likely) Delta’s dog there on the Graceland tapes - if I’m not mistaken, the same dog can be heard barking as the last tones of «Way Down» fades out,

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:33 am

MRM on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm wrote:In the banter on the Jungle Room album (FTD or RCA) Elvis says something like "Damn if Getlo didn't show up, didn't he?" Does anyone know when the dog passed? Doc?

Getlow was taken to Boston in early August 1975, and returned on late October. Elvis' next tour was booked for the following March. So if Linda's memory is accurate, the sweet chow passed away as she and Elvis returned from his tour closer in St. Louis on March 22, 1976.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:27 pm

A very sad story.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:30 pm

I believe the correct spelling of the name was "Gitlo."

Either way, Elvis' dog spent the summer of '75 just a few miles from my house. I was 10. Who knew?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 am

elvisjock on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:30 pm wrote:I believe the correct spelling of the name was "Gitlo."

It's «Getlow» in most books. Anyway, here's a couple of scans,

Most of the Graceland photos above I guess perhaps was shot by Jeanne LeMay, but only the latter two here is from her book, Elvis, Linda and Me. A nice read.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:53 am

elvisjock on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:30 pm wrote:I believe the correct spelling of the name was "Gitlo."

Either way, Elvis' dog spent the summer of '75 just a few miles from my house. I was 10. Who knew?

The pet was named Getlow. ‘Gitlow’came from Elvis’ and Linda’s Southern accents.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Lovely shots of Linda and Getlow. In every interview I have seen with her, she is always so sincere and genuine. That same feeling comes through on these pictures.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 am

Here's a high quality scan that i scanned from the book ''My treasured memories of Elvis'' by Judy palmer.
I have it dated as April 1st 1975 - Closing Show - this is probably during ''Jingle Bells'' that the band is playing and Elvis introduces his dog ''This is my dog, Gitlow''

As a bonus here's another photo from the same show, I'm assuming thats Col. Parker as santa?