Post here your Elvis' pictures

Red Pinwheel Jumpsuit

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 am

Whilst on the subject of the MGM Auction held in 1999 on another thread, I dug out my auction catalogue and had a flick through and can’t quite believe some of the stuff that was sold. One thing that stuck out for me was was red Pinwheel jumpsuit that was sold with the matching cape for $150,000 (?).

I was wondering where this jumpsuit resides today? Is it in private hands, or is it on display somewhere?

Anyway, a few pictures from April 9th, 1972 Hampton Roads afternoon show.

Re: Red Pinwheel Jumpsuit

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 am

Later that night, he would give one of his best shows of the '70s.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:48 am

Lawrence on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm wrote:Whilst on the subject of the MGM Auction held in 1999 on another thread, I dug out my auction catalogue and had a flick through and can’t quite believe some of the stuff that was sold. One thing that stuck out for me was was red Pinwheel jumpsuit that was sold with the matching cape for $150,000 (?).

I was wondering where this jumpsuit resides today? Is it in private hands, or is it on display somewhere?

I believe it is in private hands and not on display anywhere. There was a thread awhile back about what jumpsuits Graceland doesn't have and where they are now, if known.

For instance, did you know that Graceland doesn't have any of the jumpsuits that Elvis wore at MSG? The Adonis suit is on display at a Hard Rock Cafe, the Double Porthole suit and cape are in England in private hands, and the Wheat suit is also in private hands.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 am

Interesting to see Hampton AS was filmed with at least two cams..

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:12 am

Lawrence on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm wrote:Whilst on the subject of the MGM Auction held in 1999 on another thread, I dug out my auction catalogue and had a flick through and can’t quite believe some of the stuff that was sold. One thing that stuck out for me was was red Pinwheel jumpsuit that was sold with the matching cape for $150,000 (?).

Beautiful photos Lawrence. Thanks for posting them. I've not seen them before.

rlj

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am

BobDylan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm wrote:For instance, did you know that Graceland doesn't have any of the jumpsuits that Elvis wore at MSG? The Adonis suit is on display at a Hard Rock Cafe, the Double Porthole suit and cape are in England in private hands, and the Wheat suit is also in private hands.

At least the Adonis jumpsuit is on display. Didn’t Kurt Russell wear it in ‘Elvis’ and after the making of the film the jumpsuit disappeared?

It’s a shame the owners of the Porthole and Wheat jumpsuit can’t loan them to E.P.E for a Madison Square Garden exbition at Graceland.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Lawrence on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:35 am wrote:
BobDylan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm wrote:For instance, did you know that Graceland doesn't have any of the jumpsuits that Elvis wore at MSG? The Adonis suit is on display at a Hard Rock Cafe, the Double Porthole suit and cape are in England in private hands, and the Wheat suit is also in private hands.

At least the Adonis jumpsuit is on display. Didn’t Kurt Russell wear it in ‘Elvis’ and after the making of the film the jumpsuit disappeared?

It’s a shame the owners of the Porthole and Wheat jumpsuit can’t loan them to E.P.E for a Madison Square Garden exbition at Graceland.

Correct. Vernon loaned them/him the suit and then Vernon died before filming was over. I'm not sure how it ended up at the Hard Rock, but there it is.

I have been pushing for a MSG exhibit for awhile now. Get all three jumpsuits together with the capes and belts plus the suit he wore for the press conference. Add the Gold Record he received plus any other awards he has won since, some ticket stubs, maybe the recording tapes, a banner, and whatever else and you would have one hell of a cool display. Even if it is only temporary.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 am

Lookin like a stylish glittering Santa Claus

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:37 pm

lanadelslay on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm wrote:Lookin like a stylish glittering Santa Claus

I'm assuming he didn't like to that much, considering he only wore it six times.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:20 pm

My favorite shot of Elvis in this suit.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:29 pm

It is in private hands along with the cape as well.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:51 pm

The owner of the Red Burning jumpsuit among other Elvis Personal Items bought over the years, is
Super Fan Mark Stephens from Rosemont ILL.
Mark Stephens is a Lawyer as well as an owner of a Major Cleaning Company in Rosemont ILL.
He bought the jumpsuit for $107,000 back in 1995.

ImageImage
He was able to pick up the cape through one the first EPE auction''s held at the MGM in Las Vegas, Oct of 1999. Which helped make the suit complete. The asking price for the cape was between $50 to $70,000 US.
Paul Lichter was the original owner(after Elvis) of the suit who sold it at the Las Vegas Auction in 1995. It is to my understanding Lichter bought the suit in 1972 from The National Cebral Palsy Telethon after Elvis donated the suit to them in 1972.
PEP 8)