Post here your Elvis' pictures

Where and when was this picture taken?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:31 am

Where and when was this photo taken and who is the girl with him? Another anonymous fan?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Where and when was this picture taken?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 am

bmovies on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:31 pm wrote:Where and when was this photo taken and who is the girl with him? Another anonymous fan?

The photo is from the Poplar Tunes record shop in Memphis, and the girl appears to be a fan.

That file is also reversed, here is the correct view:

570300_w fan_Poplar Tunes.jpg
With fan at Poplar Tunes, Memphis - circa March 1957
Note Dewey Phillips behind Elvis, sticking his tongue out, and gal pal Barbara Hearn behind the fan.

Although many place these photos to January 1957, my feeling is they were likely taken when Elvis came back from Hollywood after finishing "Loving You" for Paramount. He arrived by train around 11:35 p.m. on March 18th, and left for a tour starting in Chicago around the same time of evening on March 27th.

Here are more from that day in Memphis:

570300_at Poplar Tunes.jpg
At Poplar Tunes, the chair perhaps honoring his first starring movie role

570300_w Phillips.jpg
With Dewey Phillips

570300_w Hearn_Klein.jpg
With Barbara Hearn, George Klein

570300_w Phillips_Hearn_01.jpg
With Dewey Phillips and Barbara Hearn

570300_w Phillips_Hearn_02.jpg
With Dewey Phillips and Barbara Hearn

570300_w Hearn.jpg
With Barbara Hearn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am

I think these pics were shot between November and December 1956.
Possible date December 31, 1956: The new Dewey Phillips TV-show “Phillips’ Pop Shop” on Channel 13 was mentioned in the Memphis Press-Scimitar on December 28 and started Monday, December 31.

Mississippi

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks Bmovies and doc for sharing the pics, I have not seen these before.
Doc, Quick question i can never tell when i pic is reversed, whats the easiest way to tell?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:18 pm

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/ ... 56#p467478

Mississippi

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Mississippi on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 am wrote:I think these pics were shot between November and December 1956.
Possible date December 31, 1956: The new Dewey Phillips TV-show “Phillips’ Pop Shop” on Channel 13 was mentioned in the Memphis Press-Scimitar on December 28 and started Monday, December 31.

Mississippi

I place the photos to the March 1957 period for several reasons:

- Elvis' hairstyle is a match for this period
- the sweater was used in Paramount PR shots taken at the end of the production of "Loving You"
- George Klein was unemployed at the time and so was photographed a lot with Elvis, including the next tour and film at MGM

elvislady1964 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:50 am wrote:Thanks Bmovies and doc for sharing the pics, I have not seen these before.
Doc, Quick question i can never tell when i pic is reversed, whats the easiest way to tell?

Look at the shirt buttons and pockets on men's clothing, they are very specific. Also. see if any background wording is reversed.

Also, Elvis' left and right profiles are quite different.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:47 am

Look at the shirt buttons and pockets on men's clothing, they are very specific. Also. see if any background wording is reversed.

Also, Elvis' left and right profiles are quite different.

Thank you for these tips Doc, I see he wears his hair more to right on origonal pic.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:58 pm

A little more evidence for dating these photos to March 1957, take a look at Elvis' hair and sideburns in the photos below.

570322_w prop pistol_Klein_Memphis.JPG
With friend George Klein in his 1956 Continental Mark II, Memphis - Friday, March 22, 1957
Read more: http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-pistol.html

With gal pal Barbara Hearn next to his 1956 Continental Mark II, Memphis - March 1957

Pretty much a match. Same car too!

BONUS AP NEWSWIRE VERSION

570322_AP newswire photo.JPG

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:37 pm

It was taken in March or April, 1957. In a couple of other pics from the same occasion, the album An evening with Belafone, which was released in March, can be seen.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:31 am

egilj on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:37 am wrote:It was taken in March or April, 1957. In a couple of other pics from the same occasion, the album An evening with Belafone, which was released in March, can be seen.

They are not likely from April, as Elvis' hair was longer after returning to town from his March-April tour. As noted with other clues above, these are almost certainly from late March in Memphis.

In the photo you mention, we see him with Dewey Phillips and Joe Cuoghi, owner of the Poplar Tunes record shop. Cuoghi later that year helped found Hi Records with Ray Harris and others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi_Records

570309_RCA LPM 1402_01.JPG

570309_RCA LPM 1402_02.JPG

Harry Belafonte ‎An Evening With Belafonte (RCA Victor LPM 1402, March 9, 1957)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Evening_with_Belafonte

Recent research shows that the Belafonte LP was issued around March 9, 1957. It hit the LP charts before the end of the month.

Billboard Mar 16 1957 p28.JPG

Billboard - March 16, 1957
Belafonte album is given a very strong "Review Spotlight" ...

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:43 am

570300_at Poplar Tunes.jpg

Is that a Sun 45 behind Elvis in the chair photo ?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 am

That sweater looks like the one Mr. Smith wore in the show lost in space...lol

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:59 am

cs2003 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 pm wrote:Image

Is that a Sun 45 behind Elvis in the chair photo ?

The one in the middle row might be. The studio was right in town, after all. ;-)