Post here your Elvis' pictures

Topaz Suit First Time complete

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Found a Pic of the Topaz Stone for the First Time complete on Display (possible London at the new O2 Exhibit?)...the Cape was resold After a long Time ...unsure if Graceland EPE bought it..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Topaz Suit First Time complete

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Nice to see the complete again. I’d have thought E.P.E did buy it, why else would it be on display with the suit? Unless the new owner has loaned it to them?

Judging by the sign in front of the suit it does look like the Elvis on Tour Exhibition at the O2.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 pm

that is the lava suit as worn in las vegas 1-9-73
and in jan/febr 74

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm

It's called Lava/Topaz correct .

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Fantastic, thanks for posting. I viewed this suit (minus cape) at the Elvis exhibition in Blackpool in 1989 and 1990. Also on display at the exhibition were the Chain suit, the Black Fireworks suit, the White Black Phoenix suit, one of the 1976 Flame suits, the 1972 Powder Blue Nail cape, the Nail Mirrored cape, and various belts,etc.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:18 pm

The designers called this the Tiger suit (I've been saying that for years).
That is also what's on the invoice from IC costumes (also on display at the O2 exhibit).
You can see that it looks like the spine of a tiger. Both the lining of the kickpleats and the cape are faux tiger pattern.

EPE bought the cape on the last auction and it is indeed on display at the O2.

hard to make good photos because of reflections.

sundial77, did you make photos of that exhibit?
the blue nail cape, nail mirrored cape and belts interest me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Merry77, I did take photos of the Blackpool exhibition, I'll try and dig them out.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:39 am

Merry77, I can definitely see the tiger stripe motif in that rear view of the cape....outstanding.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 am

Lining of the Cape

Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am

Thanks for the shots, here are a few that i took in Memphis in 2014 that show what the cape covers up.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Rami-Vegas on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:34 pm wrote:Found a Pic of the Topaz Stone for the First Time complete on Display (possible London at the new O2 Exhibit?)...the Cape was resold After a long Time ...unsure if Graceland EPE bought it..
...Thanks , that's my photo from my facebook page after i saw the exhibition on saturday in london.

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Does anyone have a good picture of the belt from the front. In my haste I forgot. Because I've seen the suit in Memphis (Rock and soul) but there the front was hard to photograph.

here a picture not entirely sharp but where you can really see the hairs of the lining.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 am

:D this is a MOST interesting thread -thanks guys!~ 8)

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:36 am

See Rex Martin's for additional photos.

:arrow: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/elvismomentsintime/17-topaz-stone-jumpsuit-t6542.html

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

the belt shown on Rex Martin's page is an ETA belt. Not the original.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks OnStage55 for the link, I hadn't seen those pages before. A pretty good resource except that as merry77 says many of the illustrations are of replica suits (possibly B&K?). It would be nice if the uploader stated which ones were not the original Elvis pieces - although it's usually obvious.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:07 am

To all who contributed pics, thanks very much. This is a "rare" jumpsuit, for the most part. Yet it is really beautiful. Very nicely designed.

Thank to OnStage55 for the link to Rex's website!

rlj

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:30 pm

sundial77 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:29 pm wrote:Fantastic, thanks for posting. I viewed this suit (minus cape) at the Elvis exhibition in Blackpool in 1989 and 1990. Also on display at the exhibition were the Chain suit, the Black Fireworks suit, the White Black Phoenix suit, one of the 1976 Flame suits, the 1972 Powder Blue Nail cape, the Nail Mirrored cape, and various belts,etc.

Note the blue nail cape bottom left as well as the Peacock belt bottom right. I’d like to know who was responsible for dressing these jumpsuits on the mannequeins?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 am

Lawrence, thank you very much for the photos.
Very interesting to see. Especially since this was before the MGM auction.
Can you imagine what else they could have sold off then. Glad they didn't sell more. Because now we are able to see it in Graceland (or at the O2 currently).

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:45 pm

merry77 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:35 pm wrote:Lawrence, thank you very much for the photos.
Very interesting to see. Especially since this was before the MGM auction.
Can you imagine what else they could have sold off then. Glad they didn't sell more. Because now we are able to see it in Graceland (or at the O2 currently).

You’re welcome. I imagine that E.P.E must have a lot of regret with regards to the auction that they held in 1999 (?). Why on earth they wanted to sell all those belongings is beyond me. What did they get out of it? Money? Yes. But they’ve lost a damn load of history from their archives which in my opinion is worth a lot more than any money somebody can offer.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:54 pm

from the paperwork I heard they only sold their multiples.
But the suits and other personal items they didn't have duplicates.