Topic author
tuttron
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

great backstage photo vegas 1970 from Russ Howe

Post by tuttron »

a nice shot by Russ Howe archives
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: great backstage photo vegas 1970 from Russ Howe

Post by drjohncarpenter »

tuttron wrote:a nice shot by Russ Howe archives

Assume he offers no information of this image? It appears to be backstage at the International Hotel, circa August 1970.

You can see father Vernon over Elvis' right shoulder. The girl and boy are likely siblings. Wonder who the parents might be?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
tuttron
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by tuttron »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Assume he offers no information of this image? It appears to be backstage at the International Hotel, circa August 1970.

You can see father Vernon over Elvis' right shoulder. The girl and boy are likely siblings. Wonder who the parents might be?
YES sorry he did say the kids were of Millie KIRKHAM if i recall

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

Too cool. Great shot.

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Damn, he even looks cooler than cool in the background!

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

tuttron wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

YES sorry he did say the kids were of Millie KIRKHAM if i recall
The information I have about Millie Kirkham is that she had two children, Steve and Shelley. She appeared with Presley in concert for the one and only time from August 10-16, 1970, so if these are her kids, it must be from this booking at the International.

Millie performed at Elvis' request because of the MGM cameras, but supposedly agreed to just the first week because she was pregnant. If this is accurate, she was 47 at the time. Her replacement, starting on August 17, was Los Angeles soprano Kathy Westmoreland.

In a horrible postscript, I found out that her son Steve died in an auto accident not long after this, on 6-12-1971, at the young age of 17.

Of all ironies, Kirkham had just completed what would be her last Presley sessions in Nashville just days before, on 6-10 and 6-11-1971. What an awful time for her and the Kirkham family.

Another Seriously Injured
Three Teenagers Killed in I-65 Wreck

By GEORGE WATSON JR., AP

Three Crieve Hall teenagers were killed and another seriously injured last night, police said, when their auto veered out of control on Interstate 65 near Brentwood and struck an abutment. Dead on arrival at General Hospital were: Debbie L. Fox, 16, of 550 Harding Place. Thomas A. Arnold, 16, of 4910 Timberdale Drive, and Steven Kirkham, 17, of 632 Rochelle Drive. Seriously injured and receiving treatment last night was Susan Wray, 16, of 630 Davidson Road.

METRO TRAFFIC officers Charlie Trimble and Bill Eller said the 1963 Chevrolet, driven by Arnold, apparently swerved off the interstate, traveling about 250 feet before striking a concrete abutment.

Trimble said the car apparently was traveling at a high rate of speed and was headed south on the expressway when the 8 p.m. accident occurred one mile north of the Brentwood exit.

"The impact when the car struck the abutment cracked a section of the interstate," said Eller.

ELLER SAID he believes the vibrations from the impact "traveled back to the interstate, causing the crack in the highway."

Trimble said the impact also caused the concrete abutment to move 21 inches.

Five other teenagers traveling in a car in front of the vehicle said they saw the automobile veer out of control "right behind us and go up the embankment."

Steve Kelso, 18, of Meadowlawn Drive, Brentwood, driver of the car in front, said he noticed the automobile driven by Arnold attempting to pass him on the inside lane "and the next thing I knew he went off the road."

"I SAW THE CAR hit a concrete slab up the grassy hill and then I heard a big crash," Kelso said.

Those in the Kelso auto said they started running up the hill towards the scene. "We tried to get them out of the car but we couldn't," said Edwin Mashburn, 15, of 5124 Overton Road.

Tennessean - Sunday, June 13, 1971
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/111955032/

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by karlos »

A great shot
Many thanks
::rocks