Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Beautiful pic, Oct. 18, 1976

Post by MikeFromHolland »

As found on: http://www.ebay.com/itm/381925601096?rmvSB=true
1977 06 22 Sioux Falls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MikeFromHolland on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: June 22, 1977 - Sioux Falls

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Interesting find, as most assumed he wore the Sundial suit for all the shows that followed June 18 in Kansas City.

Major new jumpsuit knowledge!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by javierTCB »

This one looks like 1976 :?

On june 22, 1977, Elvis wears sundial jumpsuit.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s77062201.jpg

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

You see, jumpsuits are my speciality :D

So the ebay'er is wrong than. You have a more specific date, Javier?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

javierTCB wrote:This one looks like 1976 :?

The credit must be wrong. It's clearly 1977, and Lloyd B. Cunningham was an Iowa-based photographer.

Update: it is from 1976, see below.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javierTCB wrote:This one looks like 1976 :?

The credit must be wrong. It's clearly 1977, and Lloyd B. Cunningham was an Iowa-based photographer.
Isn't it Oct '76? If you look at pictures from Johnson City he wears one ring on his right hand, but in the picture above he is wearing two.

YDKM

Re: Beautiful pic, exact date not known. 1976?

Post by YDKM »

looks like 76 to me!~

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

YDKM wrote:looks like 76 to me!~
Elvis appeared in Sioux Falls on October 18, 1976, and wore the King of Spades jumpsuit.
The haircut and facial features look more like 1976.

rlj

drjohncarpenter

I located another photo from Sioux Falls that matches the one in the OP, but it is from the visit he made on 10-18-1976.

s76101801.jpg
Source: http://www.elvisconcerts.com

So that's the correct date, the information on the back of the photo is wrong.

I must say, though, this must have been one of the nights where Elvis did not wear the corset. At other shows on this particular tour you can see the difference when he has it on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Some times this place is amazing..... that's all I can say

drjohncarpenter

rlj4ep wrote:Some times this place is amazing..... that's all I can say
Totally!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Totally!
And it rocks.

So October 18, 1976 it is. Thank you Doc!

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

skabillyrebels
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by skabillyrebels »

that's the thing elvis presley in the late 70s shows sometimes he looks in good shape

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: Beautiful pic, Oct. 18, 1976

Post by rickeap »

hair is definitely 1976. Nice photo, thanks

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by javierTCB »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

You see, jumpsuits are my speciality :D

So the ebay'er is wrong than. You have a more specific date, Javier?

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Totally!
And it rocks.

So October 18, 1976 it is. Thank you Doc!

Thanks Doc. Thanks Mike for sharing this one new for my eyes :D

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

drjohncarpenter

drjohncarpenter wrote:I located another photo from Sioux Falls that matches the one in the OP, but it is from the visit he made on 10-18-1976.

Source: http://www.elvisconcerts.com

So that's the correct date, the information on the back of the photo is wrong.

I must say, though, this must have been one of the nights where Elvis did not wear the corset. At other shows on this particular tour you can see the difference when he has it on.
For example, here is Elvis at the tour opener just four days earlier, note the difference:

761014_Chicago.jpg
On stage in Chicago - Thursday, October 14, 1976

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

First I don't get the comment about a "corset" or the need to go down that rabbit trail when a picture with a wrong date was posted to start this thread. Nothing about a corset was mentioned in the original post. Secondly, what evidence is there that Elvis was wearing a corset in the pic from Chicago...., Oh, never mind, I can see how this is going to go and I'm not going down the path this time....

Thanks to all for the posting of the pics

drjohncarpenter

rlj4ep wrote:First I don't get the comment about a "corset" or the need to go down that rabbit trail when a picture with a wrong date was posted to start this thread. Nothing about a corset was mentioned in the original post. Secondly, what evidence is there that Elvis was wearing a corset in the pic from Chicago...., Oh, never mind, I can see how this is going to go and I'm not going down the path this time....

Use of a "corset" was discussed by people who were around at the time, in other words it is part of the historical record. But Elvis finally decided it constricted his breathing too much, so he stopped it. I mentioned this because it was relevant.

The labeling of the photo which launched this topic as June 1977 immediately seemed correct because of his appearance. Further evidence proved the labeling was wrong. If you take time to look at the many photos taken during the tour in October 1976, you will clearly see the shows when he donned a corset, and when he did not. I hope this helps clear up your confusion as to why this "rabbit trail" was discussed.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:First I don't get the comment about a "corset" or the need to go down that rabbit trail when a picture with a wrong date was posted to start this thread. Nothing about a corset was mentioned in the original post. Secondly, what evidence is there that Elvis was wearing a corset in the pic from Chicago...., Oh, never mind, I can see how this is going to go and I'm not going down the path this time....

Use of a "corset" was discussed by people who were around at the time, in other words it is part of the historical record. But Elvis finally decided it constricted his breathing too much, so he stopped it. I mentioned this because it was relevant.

The labeling of the photo which launched this topic as June 1977 immediately seemed correct because of his appearance. Further evidence proved the labeling was wrong. If you take time to look at the many photos taken during the tour in October 1976, you will clearly see the shows when he donned a corset, and when he did not. I hope this helps clear up your confusion as to why this "rabbit trail" was discussed.
It is relevant to you. It was not mentioned when the pic was posted. The pic was focused on the date, not what Elvis had on in the way of under garments.

drjohncarpenter

rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is relevant to you. It was not mentioned when the pic was posted. The pic was focused on the date, not what Elvis had on in the way of under garments.
No, it was relevant to the discussion, as we were scrutinizing all aspects of the photo to properly ascertain when it was taken. In so doing, the correct date has been determined. Just because you dislike some of the facts I present doesn't mean they are frivolous.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Here's another pic from the tour opener.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, it was relevant to the discussion, as we were scrutinizing all aspects of the photo to properly ascertain when it was taken. In so doing, the correct date has been determined.
Yeah, I agree.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

DearGeorgie
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by DearGeorgie »

Johnny2523 wrote:Here's another pic from the tour opener.
That's one of the scariest pictures of Elvis I've ever seen :shock:

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by sundial77 »

I've often wondered about these claims that EP wore a corset on stage. More often than not, his jumpsuit was unzipped a good bit down his belly,almost to the navel in some cases. Had he indeed been wearing a corset, wouldn't it have became visible when his tucked in scarf was removed during "Love Me"?
I'm no expert on such garments, but when I think of a corset I envisage a garment that would go right up to just below the chest?

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, it was relevant to the discussion, as we were scrutinizing all aspects of the photo to properly ascertain when it was taken. In so doing, the correct date has been determined. Just because you dislike some of the facts I present doesn't mean they are frivolous.
First, I extend courtesy to everyone on FECC. I try to avoid being insulting toward anyone who offers comments.

Second, please do not make inappropriate assumptions about what I like or dislike or put words in my mouth, so-to-speak. I in no way said I didn't like anything. All I did was point out that the corset was not part of the original post. I was simply making a gentle reference for us to actually stay on point in a thread. But once again, I should know better by now.

Third, you introduced the whole talk of a corset with your post. I'm not entirely sure where the "we" came from.

Fourth, I know the "historic record" as you often refer to it, as do many here at FECC. I don't appreciate being talked down to in every post I make that offers a different perspective.

rlj
Last edited by rlj4ep on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.