June 6, 1956. Hollywood, California.

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
galaxie
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

June 6, 1956. Hollywood, California.

Post by galaxie »

The Doc and i were going into old discussions at my "Random Pictures," section. Many, many years ago there was a heated discussion - read it here - http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47903&start=75 involving a few of these posted pictures, it was a long, dragging, interesting one but really nothing came out and it bled to dead. For those who missed this 'discussion' i'd like to bring it under your attention, again. Date June 6, 1956 is almost - or - correct but, where did Elvis spent the night and who was the photographer for 'Hero or Heel,' magazine? 'Hero or Heel' issued their first magazine in November 1956, same time as DIG has their magazine out with photo's of Elvis in Vegas. See Original post and comments below. Before i posted the color picture i did give it a thorough research (even asked a few mammoths from the old days for more info) but ended up with nothing, my best guess was June 2, but what do i know. Bripet dated it June 6, Elvis left Hollywood for San Diego, i guess DrJohn rely on that. But, as i said, no one is/was for sure. What is for sure is that the picture with Elvis and Judy going through the fanmail is definately from the same hotel room and date. Thanks Doc, i have a slight better one.

INPUT PLEASE

Galaxie: From his hotel room in Oakland. Not sure but believe it is an original colo(u)r image, altough all pictures i've seen are in B/W

Doc: Elvis played Oakland, CA on 6-03-1956 (Sun). There are no known photos from a hotel room, and I'm not sure where this 1956 shot is from or exactly when. It's probably better not to label and date a photo until you know for certain.

Some 1956 Oakland photos, taken backstage and on stage, are here:
http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Happy-birthday-Elvis-6745737.php

Galaxie: Thanks for your reply, yesterday i did not know but after last night i do know why you can't date this photo, there is less than nothing written and what is do not hold. I've been over 2 older topics, from 9 or so years ago, and still in the blue after reading. Big names like you, JamesvRoy, Ger Rijff, Brian and more. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47903&start=75 (might open old wounds) There are some conclusions, i was right 'bout the week, not the date, i include some photo's from a magazine which carry the photo's in B/W. Picture is used on The Elvis Files Vol1. http://www.elvisfiles.no/theelvisfiles1.html#with no additional info found and at EIN http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review ... vol.1.html . The great elvisechoes.... uses another, colorized photo from this day, but, again, no date or info http://www.elvisechoesofthepast.com/the ... aphs-1956/ At last we have the new book from https://etautz.com/original-man with the photo as cover.....Original link where i found it: http://houseofretro.com/index.php/2016/ ... lvis_s209/

Maybe we should take this photo to a new topic, i gave it a full research yesterday and last night, quite a bit too. There is just not much info on it and what is available is in contradiction. My search led me to this. Elvis played Oakland CA., June 3, - Hollywood CA., June 5, - San Diego CA., June 6 and Long Beach, CA., June 7. The picture was taken in this week that much i knew, the "million dollar, question was where. My best "guess" was Oakland altough i learned it must be a few days later on June 6 in San Diego. Hey...i try my very best.
Maybe we should take this photo to a new topic, i gave it a full research yesterday and last night. There is just not much info on it and what is available is in contradiction. My search led me to this. Elvis played Oakland CA., June 3, - Hollywood CA., June 5, - San Diego CA., June 6 and Long Beach, CA., June 7. The picture was taken in this week that much i knew, the "million dollar question" was, where. My best "guess" Oakland altough i learned it must be a few days later on June 6 in San Diego. Hey...i tried...at my very best.

Doc: No worries!!
Having reviewed my resources, I feel your color photo is from his Los Angeles hotel room on the morning of 6-06-1956 (Wed), before he left for San Diego. Looking at your magazine scans, all the photos of Elvis in the chair and on the phone are also from this date and time.

The one with Elvis sitting at the table with his friends is from the New Frontier Hotel dining room on 5-03-1956 (Thu) and the other one where Elvis is walking with the police officers is from Oakland on 6-03-1956 (Sun).

Here's another from the Los Angeles hotel room on 6-06-1956 (Wed) with friend Judy Spreckels:

Definitely make a new topic on these shots from 6-06-1956, they are worth it![b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by galaxie on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
galaxie

June 6, 1956 Hollywood, California.

Post by galaxie »

More November 1956 pages from DIG magazine and Hero or Heel magazine. Oakland and Las Vegas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by galaxie on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
galaxie

Re: 1st week of June 1956 California

Post by galaxie »

THE well known colorized photo from this serie. I dated all pictures June 6, seems the correct date, i think.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

galaxie wrote:The Doc and i were going into old discussions at my "Random Pictures," section. Many, many years ago there was a heated discussion - read it here - http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47903&start=75 involving a few of these posted pictures, it was a long, dragging, interesting one but really nothing came out and it bled to dead. For those who missed this 'discussion' i'd like to bring it under your attention, again. Date June 6, 1956 is almost - or - correct but, where did Elvis spent the night and who was the photographer for 'Hero or Heel,' magazine? 'Hero or Heel' issued their first magazine in November 1956, same time as DIG has their magazine out with photo's of Elvis in Vegas. See Original post and comments below. Before i posted the color picture i did give it a thorough research (even asked a few mammoths from the old days for more info) but ended up with nothing, my best guess was June 2, but what do i know. Bripet dated it June 6, Elvis left Hollywood for San Diego, i guess DrJohn rely on that. But, as i said, no one is/was for sure. What is for sure is that the picture with Elvis and Judy going through the fanmail is definately from the same hotel room and date. Thanks Doc, i have a slight better one.
As I wrote on the other topic:

Having reviewed my resources, I feel your color photo is from his Los Angeles hotel room on the morning of 6-06-1956 (Wed), before he left for San Diego. Looking at your magazine scans, all the photos of Elvis in the chair and on the phone are also from this date and time.

As to your questions, Elvis spent the night of June 5 in this hotel room, and probably checked out sometime in the afternoon on June 6. Driving from L.A. to San Diego would take less than two hours, and his show did not start until 7:30PM. The name of the photographer for these hotel room shots may be found in the first couple of pages of the Elvis Presley Hero Or Heel? magazine.

Two more things:

1) The cover shot on Elvis Presley Hero Or Heel? is reversed. Here's the correct view:

561100_Elvis Presley Hero or Heel_corrected.JPG

2) The other shot from the L.A. hotel room is not colourized:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
galaxie

Post by galaxie »

So, June 6 it is. Now we need to know which Hotel and the photographer as i don't have all pages from Hero to Heel magazine. What i do have is two other shots from FB page Elvis Pictures.

drjohncarpenter

galaxie wrote:So, June 6 it is. Now we need to know which Hotel and the photographer as i don't have all pages from Hero to Heel magazine. What i do have is two other shots from FB page Elvis Pictures.
It's likely the Hollywood Knickerbocker Hotel, located at 1714 Ivar Avenue in Los Angeles. Reports indicate Elvis definitely stayed there in August 1956 and February 1957, so it was his go-to place when in town working. These days it is a retirement home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knickerbocker_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)#Celebrity_guests

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
galaxie

Post by galaxie »

The Knickerbocker was my first guess but seeing the room in the August photo's against June it looks a little pover to me, made me second guess my first thought.

drjohncarpenter

galaxie wrote:The Knickerbocker was my first guess but seeing the room in the August photo's against June it looks a little pover to me, made me second guess my first thought.
He probably had a nicer room in August, and I'll bet 20th Century Fox paid the bill.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
galaxie

Re: June 6, 1956. Hollywood, California.

Post by galaxie »

End of story. Thanks for jumping in with me on this one, muchos appreciated amigo.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

The first photo in the first post of this thread was used for the front cover of the first volume of the "Elvis Files" books.

I bet there has to be a caption for it somewhere in the book.

Toddman38
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by Toddman38 »

Great pics of E.P.

Topic author
galaxie

Post by galaxie »

Mister Moon wrote:The first photo in the first post of this thread was used for the front cover of the first volume of the "Elvis Files" books.

since i don't have the book i can't tell, though i think we covered it all here.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

galaxie wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:The first photo in the first post of this thread was used for the front cover of the first volume of the "Elvis Files" books.

since i don't have the book i can't tell, though i think we covered it all here.
Sorry.

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Missed this one. COOL topic. Thanks galaxie!

::rocks

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
galaxie

Post by galaxie »

You were on a winterbreak Mike! Thanks.