Von Braun Civic Center live '76 and exhibition.

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
galaxie
Registered for: 8 years

Post by galaxie »

"Elvis at the Von Braun Center 1975 & 1976." 
The exhibit contains photographs from all five of the 1975 performances by Elvis as well as memorabilia from his stay in Huntsville. This include such items as the door to the room at the Huntsville Hilton where Elvis stayed (restored to it's original turquoise color) and other items from the room including the Gideon Bible. 

link: http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/05/elvis_at_the_von_braun_center.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
galaxie

Re: Von Braun Civic Center live '76 and exhibition.

Post by galaxie »

15 + 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

It is truly shocking to see the evidence of rapid decline that occurred in the 14 months between appearances at this venue.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
galaxie

Post by galaxie »

elvisjock wrote:It is truly shocking to see the evidence of rapid decline that occurred in the 14 months between appearances at this venue.
absolute, the reason i divide Von Braun in 2 topics. 75 and 76, he made such a huge change in appearance and personality. So sad.

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

galaxie wrote:
elvisjock wrote:It is truly shocking to see the evidence of rapid decline that occurred in the 14 months between appearances at this venue.
absolute, the reason i divide Von Braun in 2 topics. 75 and 76, he made such a huge change in appearance and personality. So sad.
The 1976 shows are decent he started to look and sing a bit better, but compared to the 1975 shows the are a lot weaker. I think he could of stopped for a while after the June-July 1974 tour to take a break and fire Parker.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

The costume was very unflattering, but, still - the overall sloppy appearance. He was heavy at the first gig, but he was still quite handsome.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

Nailing it down completely Elvis slided downwards in less than 7 months time. (Aug '75-March'76)
I can hardly think of anyone who went through such a dramatic transformation in half a year.

Look at July '75 and the first tour of '76.
Different person. It's mind blowing.

That said, this looks like a nice exhibition and Elvis popularity down south was unmatched.
Thankfully Elvis '76 shows in Huntsville were, and here we go again, "good for the period"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Neat stuff. The exhibit went up in June 2015, do you know if it is still there now?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Johnny 99

Post by Johnny 99 »

Robert wrote:
Nailing it down completely Elvis slided downwards in less than 7 months time. (Aug '75-March'76)
I can hardly think of anyone who went through such a dramatic transformation in half a year.

That said, this looks like a nice exhibition and Elvis popularity down south was unmatched.
Thankfully Elvis '76 shows in Huntsville were, and here we go again, "good for the period"
Absolutely. 75 was the last time he looked good. Those 76 photo, goodness, so pale and unwell with those awful outfits. There's something quite sad and poignant about that 76 photo holding the figure of himself.

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Robert wrote:

You can see it as early as December 1975.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

A really great post galaxie! Thanks so much. I like the pics of the crowds...., gosh it brings back a lot of memories.

rlj

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Marvelous pics and info. Thanks for sharing...

ICanHelp
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by ICanHelp »

Great stuff. Thank you. I love the crowd shots. Certainly shatters the myth that Elvis concerts attracted no young people.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Neat stuff. The exhibit went up in June 2015, do you know if it is still there now?
Anyone know?

ICanHelp wrote:Great stuff. Thank you. I love the crowd shots. Certainly shatters the myth that Elvis concerts attracted no young people.
I've never read anywhere that "Elvis concerts attracted no young people." So, no myths are shattered here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

ICanHelp
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by ICanHelp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Neat stuff. The exhibit went up in June 2015, do you know if it is still there now?
Anyone know?

ICanHelp wrote:Great stuff. Thank you. I love the crowd shots. Certainly shatters the myth that Elvis concerts attracted no young people.
I've never read anywhere that "Elvis concerts attracted no young people." So, no myths are shattered here.
Then you need to read more carefully. Here is one for you:

Best Description of Elvis’s Audience:“They’re old girls now, with cloth coats and husbands and crow’s feet and bouffant hairdos, but deep down inside every one of them is the teenage idol-worshipper she once was, just waiting for the flip of that pelvis to loose the shrieks again.” (David Dejean, The Kentucky Times—November 7, 1971)

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-on-stage.html

Posters on this very Board have made this same argument over the years.