Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Elvis and Marvin Lacy - The Singing Mailman

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Marvin Lacy

Marvin Lacy was a hillbilly singer out of Ashland, Alabama. He learned to play the harmonica and guitar by the time he was 16. He moved to Florida and there he met up with and became friends with Slim Whitman, who recorded a couple of Marvin's tunes, "My Love Is Growing Stale" and "Why".

Then in August of 1954, Marvin Lacy won a talent contest run by Jim Wilson in Orlando, Florida. As a result of that, he got a guest star shot on Eddy Arnold's program. Not only that, Eddy Arnold even recorded one of his tunes, too, called "My Everything" that he co-wrote with Jim Wilson.

Around 1955 or so, he was under recording contract with the Starday label and his current releases back then were "Lost Chicken" with "I Want To Know More About You", both of which he wrote.

He told fans in a 1955 column that he had done an appearance on the Art Davis television show over in Orlando, Florida. He also told of a couple local Florida artists who were in the area at the time. Autry Inman was on leave from his military service visiting with his fan club president, enjoying the break in the warm sunshine from the cold of Kansas. Bobby Lord, then based in Tampa, was getting attention and had recently gotten a great reception on the Grand Ole Opry according to Marvin.

Roving around the internet, one will find that Marvin became known as the Singing Mailman.
Source: http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=13301

Elvis with Marvin Lacy - The Singing Mailman.png

BONUS

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...