HQ 1961 Hawaii show photos not in "RATB" FTD

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Greg1995
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

HQ 1961 Hawaii show photos not in "RATB" FTD

Post by Greg1995 »

Fantasic shot. This one is quite rare. Taken from original negative. It's a pity it didn't make to "RATB" book.
I have aquired huge amount (literally hundreds and hundreds) of photos unseen, rare and known (childhood-70's) in HQ like this or even better (candids and proffesional photos)
(many of them seems to be complete events like: Milton Berle rehearsal, Ed Sullivan rehearsals 1956 and 1957, The Knickerbocker Hotel photoshoot, Tampa 1955-1956, "I Want, I need You..." recording session, 68 comeback special ,1969 press conference and loads of more!) taken from original negatives etc.
all in HQ quality, some of them best ever.
Will be posting some of them soon! Stay tuned!
Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greg1995 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Marvel Jr

Re: HQ 1961 Hawaii show photo not in "RATB" FTD

Post by Captain Marvel Jr »

Fantastic !!!!
Quite Rare!!!!
Congrats Greg.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Greg1995 wrote:Fantasic shot. This one is quite rare. Taken from original negative. It's a pity it didn't make to "RATB" book.
I have aquired huge amount (literally hundreds and hundreds) of photos unseen, rare and known (childhood-70's) in HQ like this or even better (candids and proffesional photos)
(many of them seems to be complete events like: Milton Berle rehearsal, Ed Sullivan rehearsals 1956 and 1957, The Knickerbocker Hotel photoshoot, Tampa 1955-1956, "I Want, I need You..." recording session, 68 comeback special ,1969 press conference and loads of more!) taken from original negatives etc.
Enjoy!

This is a nice image, but it doesn't appear to be sourced from the original negative. It may also be cropped.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Greg1995

Post by Greg1995 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:Fantasic shot. This one is quite rare. Taken from original negative. It's a pity it didn't make to "RATB" book.
Enjoy!

This is a nice image, but it doesn't appear to be sourced from the original negative. It may also be cropped.

No, it is not cropped (maybe very good early copy if not from negative).
It's the best quality elsewhere.
This is another version (quite poor)
that is on the net and you can clearly see it's all that's in the picture. :smt002
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

As you can see in the second version you posted, the first photo could not have come from the original negative. The original negative would show that lei in mid-air.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Greg1995

Post by Greg1995 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:As you can see in the second version you posted, the first photo could not have come from the original negative. The original negative would show that lei in mid-air.
It's not a lei, but actually the scratch on the image.
The second one is visible in down section of the photo. :smt002
How could you miss that? :D

This one is also cool, however the background seems to be washed-out:

drjohncarpenter

Greg1995 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As you can see in the second version you posted, the first photo could not have come from the original negative. The original negative would show that lei in mid-air.
Scratched or lei, the first photo would need to be much clearer to have been processed from the original negative. Thanks for sharing it, though. I first saw it as part of a wonderful gate-fold booklet included in the 1978 Golden Archives deluxe LP release of 3-25-1961 show. It was the "scratched lei" version they used. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Greg1995

Post by Greg1995 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
Scratched or lei, the first photo would need to be much clearer to have been processed from the original negative. Thanks for sharing it, though. I first saw it as part of a wonderful gate-fold booklet included in the 1978 Golden Archives deluxe LP release of 3-25-1961 show. It was the "scratched lei" version they used. ;-)
Must be.
And you also didn't get to see old lady sitting behind. ;)

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Re: HQ 1961 Hawaii show photos not in "RATB" FTD

Post by promiseland »

That is a lei in mid-air as Doc noted and also a pile of lei on the floor in front of Elvis' feet which is cropped out on the bottom of your first photo. I can do an overlay to show you exactly how much of the photo is missing at the bottom but the visual here in the second photo is satisfying enough to see the differences.

It is not a scratch in the second photo, the first photo has been edited to remove this lei in mid-air and the additional lei on the floor.

Topic author
Greg1995

Post by Greg1995 »

promiseland wrote:That is a lei in mid-air as Doc noted and also a pile of lei on the floor in front of Elvis' feet which is cropped out on the bottom of your first photo. I can do an overlay to show you exactly how much of the photo is missing at the bottom but the visual here in the second photo is satisfying enough to see the differences.

It is not a scratch in the second photo, the first photo has been edited to remove this lei in mid-air and the additional lei on the floor.

It's unlogical that you believe the definitely more poor version of the photo more
which doesn't even have backwards details with old lady sitting behind, table, roof details etc. - just deep black area.
Just hilarious...

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by karlos »

Thank you Greg _Love this thread _Wow + ::rocks

davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

Greg1995 wrote:
The second one is visible in down section of the photo. :smt002
How could you miss that? :D

This one is also cool, however the background seems to be washed-out:
Here is the original version

Davide

Matt Ashton
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Matt Ashton »

Greg1995 wrote:
promiseland wrote:That is a lei in mid-air as Doc noted and also a pile of lei on the floor in front of Elvis' feet which is cropped out on the bottom of your first photo. I can do an overlay to show you exactly how much of the photo is missing at the bottom but the visual here in the second photo is satisfying enough to see the differences.

It's unlogical that you believe the definitely more poor version of the photo more
which doesn't even have backwards details with old lady sitting behind, table, roof details etc. - just deep black area.
Just hilarious...
I suppose I'm confused why someone would edit a lei in a photo, however looking at the photo you have posted with the superior quality, it would seem that the poorer quality image has been altered at some point... In today's modern era of photo shop this stuff can be done in a heartbeat, older photo's less so. The question is why would someone edit the lei in?

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes."

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Greg1995 wrote:

Just hilarious...
..which is irrelevant to your first cropped and edited photo. :wink:

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

Matt Ashton wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

Just hilarious...
I suppose I'm confused why someone would edit a lei in a photo, however looking at the photo you have posted with the superior quality, it would seem that the poorer quality image has been altered at some point... In today's modern era of photo shop this stuff can be done in a heartbeat, older photo's less so. The question is why would someone edit the lei in?
Because they didn't - they edited it out,. or you can just believe it to be a scratch as Greg1995 :roll: .