Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis with his Isana guitar

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Here's a little set of photos that was auctioned only a short while back on ebay, featuring a photo probably every single Elvis fan knows (the third one on the set below); it shows Elvis playing his Isana guitar in Germany somewhere around early 1959, I believe. Along with the known photo, it also has a few from the same shoot that are not so often seen.

isana.jpg

Besides this 'session', there was at least one other during Elvis' time in Germany where he was photographed with the same guitar - I personally always thought it was one of the coolest instruments he ever owned. Really flashy piece and luckily we have some really cool photos of him playing it.

Visit James' excellent site to see more details --> http://scottymoore.net/ep58isana.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis with his Isana guitar

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:18 pm

One of my favorite pics of Elvis,I have one on canvas in our bathroom

sent from Lincolnshire,UK,by carrier pigeon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:10 pm

onelove wrote:Here's a little set of photos that was auctioned only a short while back on ebay, featuring a photo probably every single Elvis fan knows (the third one on the set below); it shows Elvis playing his Isana guitar in Germany somewhere around early 1959, I believe. Along with the known photo, it also has a few from the same shoot that are not so often seen.

Besides this 'session', there was at least one other during Elvis' time in Germany where he was photographed with the same guitar - I personally always thought it was one of the coolest instruments he ever owned. Really flashy piece and luckily we have some really cool photos of him playing it.

Visit James' excellent site to see more details --> http://scottymoore.net/ep58isana.html

My guess is these were taken circa March 1959. I really liked the photo RCA used for this 1999 CD release:

990309_Elvis The Home Recordings.JPG
Elvis: The Home Recordings (RCA, March 9, 1999)

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing! Love the shots of him with the guitar too.

There are some more pics of him with the Isana guitar in this video. I wonder is it actually the Isana he's playing on I'm Beginning To Forget You. There's a quite a bit fret noise which would imply that the guitar was in need of tune up. Of course Elvis's way of hitting the strings hard didn't help.

phpBB [video]

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:My guess is these were taken circa March 1959. I really liked the photo RCA used for this 1999 CD release:

990309_Elvis The Home Recordings.JPG
Elvis: The Home Recordings (RCA, March 9, 1999)

That's a great shot although I believe it's from what I was referring to as the "other session" - Elvis looks to be wearing a chain around his right wrist, something that's missing from the photos seen on the opening post. However, it could well be the photos were taken on fairly close dates anyway... maybe someone knows more? I'd love to get a more specific date for both 'sessions', maybe even the name of the photographer.

Here's an alternate for the cover shot seen above;
59.jpg

@Marko - thanks for the clip. I'm way too unfamiliar with Elvis' home recordings but that was a good listen - and it's a cool thought it could possibly be the Isana he's playing there. I'll definitely take a closer inspection on the known home recordings.
Last edited by onelove on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 pm

All may be from the same informal "session," it's not impossible he threw on the wrist chain at one point, and his hair looks the same.