Post here your Elvis' pictures

Charlotte Apr 13 1972

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Oh how I miss the good old days when this forum had picture threads concentrating on a single show or a tour. Many times those threads turned into detective work as pictures were examined for details in order to date them correctly. I don't know about you but I found those threads immensely entertaining and educational - something you can't say about a thread containing reposts from a Facebook group which 90% of the time gets their dates wrong.

But hey, it's Elvis Picture section posting pics from Elvis Pictures FB group, so it kinda makes sense. smt175

But I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today, so I thought I'd craft a little post on an Elvis show from 42 years ago, namely Charlotte 1972. Actually, it's something of a mystery show, although it was one of the shows on the "On Tour"-tour. :) No song lineup (let alone a recording) exists. I'm not sure if the On Tour outtakes contained any material from Charlotte - I suspect not?

The show took place at the old Charlotte coliseum, today known as the Bojangles coliseum. Elvis had previously appeared there in June 1956. If you wish to know more about that apperance or the coliseum itself, I can only direct you to the wonderful Scotty Moore netsite:

Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC

In 1972, Elvis arrived in town from Indianapolis in the early afternoon, and was driven to Coliseum Downtowner Motel where he would then spend the following night. The showtime was the usual 8.30 PM with Elvis hitting the stage around 10PM.

As I said, we don't have an exact song lineup for this evening. However, it's safe to assume it was very similar to the other shows on this tour. The following song listing is collected from 3 different newspaper reviews. It is not complete, but gives an idea of the show content.
2001 Theme / C.C. Rider / Never Been To Spain /Love Me /All Shook Up / Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel / Hound Dog / Heartbreak Hotel / For The Good Times / I Can't Stop Loving You / How Great Thou Art /An American Trilogy / Can't Help Falling In Love

The local reviews (all of which were more reports than reviews) contained a few interesting tidbits from the show. From the Charlotte Observer:

The crowd pleasers were not all musical. In the middle of one number, Elvis walked over to one of his back-up guitarists who handed him a glass of water. Elvis took a swallow, and then, with a grin tucked in his face, splashed the rest of the water over the side of the stage. He wore rings on both hands, and pulled one off during another number, pitching it to the crowd... Moving to the left of the stage, he casually sat down on the stool and sang a few bars to the people who had gotten the side of his face most of the time. It brought a loud squealing thank you from that group.

The Charlotte News apparently took the most photos (by Elmer Horton), but many of them were heavily cropped when they were published the next day. Of the 8 shown here, I have included 4 in somewhat better quality (uncropped but deliberately distorted) - does anyone have the remaining 4? :wink:

The vivid gyrations that marked the beginning of his career are gone. The hair doesn’t hang down so far in his face or shake so much. He only touched at his guitar once. In its place was a sophistication – proof that Presley can adapt to the times, and is not, as so many of his audiences were told 15 years ago, a “passing fad.”...But his charisma remains – that way Elvis looks at a fan without really looking at her more than a split second, and the grin that is almost a leer but a shy one. Presley knows how to keep his show moving. One of his aides said he changed numbers and routines with each concert.

The reviewer from the neighboring Rock Hill, SC managed to take a fun photo to be included with her review - one that I would love to see in its original form. :)

A teen-ager near the right side of the stage reached toward the star several times, eager to touch him. Elvis walked over during one of the numbers and held out his hand. She got within a few inches of him and he drew away. Disappointed, she slowly sat back down, shaking her head. Again and again, he teased, coming closer each time. Each time, she rose and screamed, stretching her arms out. He finally leaned over the stage, took her hand, pulled her toward him and planted a firm kiss. At last sight, she was jumping up and down and screaming, holding her hands to her mouth and moaning in amazement.

This was Elvis in his heartland, still the King, away from the distracting movie cameras until tomorrow, back for the first time since 1956. How could they not appreciate him? Thank you, thank you very much! :)

Re: Charlotte Apr 13 1972

Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:21 pm

Great review Scott.
All pics are new for my eyes.
Thanks for sharing :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:36 pm

did they film thid show?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:54 pm

I like it!
Thank you, Scott :smt006

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Thank you Scott. I love it!

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Tremendous thread Scott, and I agree with the sentiment too.

Funnily enough, in an EOT thread, I was commenting that the biggest thing that was wrong with how Elvis looked in Hampton Roads was his terrible hairstyle that evening. Look how good he looks in the press photo you've posted with his guitar and cape, with his hair back over his ears - so much better!

Great pics.

As for whether they filmed in Charlotte, they seemed to film something from almost every date. When he kisses the girl wearing this suit during the Love Me Tender Montage - was that Charlotte?

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:43 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Tremendous thread Scott, and I agree with the sentiment too.

Funnily enough, in an EOT thread, I was commenting that the biggest thing that was wrong with how Elvis looked in Hampton Roads was his terrible hairstyle that evening. Look how good he looks in the press photo you've posted with his guitar and cape, with his hair back over his ears - so much better!

Great pics.

As for whether they filmed in Charlotte, they seemed to film something from almost every date. When he kisses the girl wearing this suit during the Love Me Tender Montage - was that Charlotte?

Yes, that was in Charlotte. BTW, Scott.....GREAT THREAD!!! Thank you for posting a "detective-type" thread like this!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:26 am

Nice job Scott! FYI I do my best along with a few others here from FECC to provide and correct dates over on FB ;-)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 am

Very nice topic, thank you.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:27 am

Here are a few more! I love threads like this that focus on one show! They uncover some great pictures typically.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:38 am

Here's a couple more.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:45 am

paulsweeney wrote:Nice job Scott! FYI I do my best along with a few others here from FECC to provide and correct dates over on FB ;-)

Thanks! And I know that you do. :wink:

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Screenshot :

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 pm

great thread. we need more like this. there are a lot of shows in Vegas and on tour that are still a mystery. its like piecing together a Elvis puzzle. :D

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 pm

i just wanted to say thank you so much SCOTTHAYWARD and MR TCB for all these incredible
pictures . This show must have been so fabulous . :D :D :D ::rocks ::rocks

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Great thread, Scott Hayward, thank you.

paulsweeney wrote: ...I do my best along with a few others here from FECC to provide and correct dates over on FB ;-)

Likewise, Paul. But sometimes it falls on deaf ears.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 pm

I have this one down as Charlotte...

Great thread BTW

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Judging by the jewelry Elvis is wearing could this be from the same show?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 am

Band seems to be wearing black

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:33 am

Of the last two, the first is Albuquerque and the second Dayton.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Very nice Scott. Thank you so much!

rlj