Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Jim Curtin Collection Authenticity

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:00 pm

WWElvis, though you knew him much better than I, your description of Jim squares completely with my experience. My company was hired to do publicity for his last 3 books (probably '97 or so). He was an odd, interesting, sad dude. We went to NY to tape some TV interviews (shows of the time like "Current Affair" and "Entertainment Tonight.") None of them ever aired because he was so scattered. They couldn't even be saved with editing.

I always gave him "credit" for his honesty in admitting that he basically badgered Elvis into submission, until he begrudgingly gave him the jumpsuit, but I lost respect over his tactics. It was pretty clear Elvis felt that giving away a jumpsuit was far preferable to having to spend one more minute around another "taker."

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 pm

Jim's pursuit of Elvis & Elvis' attempts to avoid him were pretty well known by people in the collector world back then. His use of pictures and video that he did not take personally was also a known fact.

True story about the Liberty Bell presentation on New Years Eve 1976 in Pittsburgh is the fact it was to happen earlier.

Jim wanted to present it to Elvis in Philadelphia in 1976 but I was told Elvis managed to avoid this somehow. elvis tried to avoid the people who were like "pests" Jim and Lichter seemed to fall into this category no matter what they say.

The Liberty Bell was a symbol of the Bicentennial of 1976 and also Philadelphia's importance to history. It actually worked out for Jim as it became a much more documented event when he got to the stage in Pittsburgh in December.

I had some dealings with Jim. Just a few though.

I also saw Jim's Elvis act and have that event recorded...it was no better than many of the flood of other impersonators out there at the time.

Hope he is resting at peace.... I do wonder if he still pursues Elvis in the afterlife though.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 am

Poor Elvis must've had some flash bulbs in his eyes as he bent down on the side of the Pittsburgh stage suddenly realising "Awwwh ****, its that serial pest again. Now I gotta be polite. Gawd, now he's telling me he loves me! Eeeeeeeuuuuuuuwwwwww. Where's Red and Sonny when you need them? Damn, that's right".

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:Poor Elvis must've had some flash bulbs in his eyes as he bent down on the side of the Pittsburgh stage suddenly realising "Awwwh ****, its that serial pest again. Now I gotta be polite. Gawd, now he's telling me he loves me! Eeeeeeeuuuuuuuwwwwww. Where's Red and Sonny when you need them? Damn, that's right".

Doesn't Elvis say "I have seen you before" immediatly before receiving the bell?