Post here your Elvis' pictures

Jim Curtin Collection Authenticity

Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I've noticed there is a seller on Ebay who supposedly bought a huge batch of Jim Curtin's photographs according to the sellers listing.
My question is could the photos be original and authentic from Jim Curtin if they are cropped?
One photo in question is the one "Paul's candid Central" has as "Boarding the Lisa Marie on April 22, 1976" that is uncropped aa compared to The Jim Curtin Collection photo on Ebay that is cropped but is an original Kodak with the 70's original Kodak paper watermark.

How is this so that it is cropped? I have also seen numerous photos listed from this seller with Jim Curtins original copyright stamp and writing.
Any input from photo experts would be most helpful.

Here is the Sellers Listing Description:
History on the Photos: Jim Curtin was a legendary Elvis fan and had an incredible collection of Elvis artifacts known as The Elvis Empire. His crown jewel was his expansive Elvis photo archive...probably the most famous collection of Elvis photos ever assembled. Whenever the media wanted to talk about rare Elvis photos, they went to Jim. When Jim passed away in 2011 his collection was sold. I am the current owner of one of the largest portions of this one of a kind collection. If you see a photo you like, make sure to bid as you will likely never see it again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Jim Curtin Collection Authenticity

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:27 pm

promiseland wrote:I've noticed there is a seller on Ebay who supposedly bought a huge batch of Jim Curtin's photographs according to the sellers listing.
My question is could the photos be original and authentic from Jim Curtin if they are cropped?
One photo in question is the one "Paul's candid Central" has as "Boarding the Lisa Marie on April 22, 1976" that is uncropped aa compared to The Jim Curtin Collection photo on Ebay that is cropped but is an original Kodak with the 70's original Kodak paper watermark.

How is this so that it is cropped? I have also seen numerous photos listed from this seller with Jim Curtins original copyright stamp and writing.

History on the Photos: Jim Curtin was a legendary Elvis fan and had an incredible collection of Elvis artifacts known as The Elvis Empire. His crown jewel was his expansive Elvis photo archive...probably the most famous collection of Elvis photos ever assembled. Whenever the media wanted to talk about rare Elvis photos, they went to Jim. When Jim passed away in 2011 his collection was sold. I am the current owner of one of the largest portions of this one of a kind collection. If you see a photo you like, make sure to bid as you will likely never see it again

I'd say by reading seller's description, they are not the original photos from Jim's collection. Don't see anywhere in description seller bought photos from Jim's collection, and the ones he's selling are originals from Jim's collection. Who is the seller?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 pm

I can't see why the photos couldn't be cropped? Jim might've been someone who many consider a "super fan", but he was also just a fan and probably bought his photos from everyone and anyone, which is where the differently cropped shots can come to play. The example you posted - no matter what we think today (uncropped is supposedly always "better"), doesn't the version from the supposed Curtin collection actually look much more appealing? It's just Elvis on the photo, why would there be any need to have Vernon's back in there as well? Not all collectors look for things like that.

The person selling the collection has listed some very unusual and rarely seen images, which I assume someone like Curtin would have plenty of, so who actually knows... maybe he/she is indeed selling portions of Jim's collection.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Looks like a photograph of a photograph and someone didn't take too much care when taking it.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Sean Shaver took that photo.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:24 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
promiseland wrote:I've noticed there is a seller on Ebay who supposedly bought a huge batch of Jim Curtin's photographs according to the sellers listing.

I'd say by reading seller's description, they are not the original photos from Jim's collection. Don't see anywhere in description seller bought photos from Jim's collection, and the ones he's selling are originals from Jim's collection. Who is the seller?

When Jim passed away in 2011 his collection was sold. I am the current owner of one of the largest portions of this one of a kind collection.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Curtin's photos have always been controversial. I knew him probably better than anyone from Sept 1973 - late 1980's. We spoke at least 3 hours per day but many times up to 7. And that's no exaggeration! I not only visited him at 1018 Lawrence Ave, Darby PA God knows how many times but even stayed at his home for three absurdly crazy days. He was one nut case to put it mildly. His record collection was a joke compared to the really BIG collectors at the time but his photo collection was always suspect as he was famous for having copies of copies of copies of copies and claiming they were the originals! Yes he had a lot of photos but very small in comparison to a lot of serious photo collectors I could name.

I could go on and on about Curtin. He was a definite character who would have made a fortune as a used car salesman! When he told me that "Elvis is my father, brother, best friend, lover, etc" I realized this sad man needed serious help. Elvis was his life! He alienated his wife and kids and God knows how his mother put up with him as he never left her house that he was born in. Very sad man and a wasted life!

PHOTOS BELOW FROM: MAY 29, 1977
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:52 pm

promiseland wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:

When Jim passed away in 2011 his collection was sold. I am the current owner of one of the largest portions of this one of a kind collection.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Thanks.

Who is the seller?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:19 am

Wow, When I saw this picture, I thought immediately that he reminds me of Mark David Chapman, the guy that shot John Lennon. A little creepy!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 am

"The Good,The Bad and The Ugly"

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Well i know for a fact he didnt buy the films

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:51 am

there was a great write up on him in hitparader magazine in 1987 that ran 3 issues . I did
like and still like his book unseen candids , lots of pictures at the time that were new to see for
a novice fan like myself . So many stories about him over the years how he sold his collection for his girlfriend etc . It is sad that the collection took over his life , thank you wwELVIS for the information
and pictures .

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:07 pm

I enjoyed "The Darby Devil" as I called him.

We had a strange trading relationship for all those years. Most times he was like a ruthless con man but every once in awhile he could actually be fun. The only problem Jim had was that he was totally consumed by Elvis day in and day out. He would call me ??? hours every day especially when he was having the guitar and crowns made up for Elvis and his pals. The whole purpose of this was to somehow meet Elvis but the main objective was to get a jumpsuit which he finally did although, in his own words to me at the time - "After I gave the presents I had made for him Elvis offered NOTHING to give to me so I was forced to tell him that my main reason for having everything made was to get you to give me a jumpsuit"! He then said Elvis looked like he was going to knock him out but regained composure, took off without saying a word and went to the back room and came out with a jumpsuit and almost threw it at Curtin! He had pictures taken (I think by Esposito) but none came out so he spent the rest of his life (well, Elvis' life) pestering Vernon, etc about meeting Elvis again so he could get pictures. Elvis' people thought he was a nut case. That was the Jim Curtin I knew who could be very honest and real but later on he had to invent the "I was Elvis' friend" story that so many others tried to con people with.

I never knew Curtin could sing at all (and I had known him since 1973!) but the day Elvis died he called me and his comment was "Well, Elvis is dead so now I'm taking over"!! And from then on he had jumpsuits made and became an Elvis impersonator. I got him a show at the Club Venus in Baltimore in 1978 or 1979. I saw it and it was unfortunately pathetic! Most of the few people who were there were laughing at him like crazy. But that didn't phase him as he kept up doing the act for years and years after that.

I will give him credit for conning those book publishers (like he conned the normal Elvis collector) into doing his books. The unfortunate part (as he told me himself) is that he didn't make much money on them. Had he tried this approach after Elvis died he would have but his first book UNSEEN ELVIS didn't come out until 1992 and by then the money to be made with an Elvis book of mostly previously seen photos was not even close to what it was in 1977!

He described himself as "The Original Elvis Freak" and that he was!

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:21 pm

wwelvis wrote:I enjoyed "The Darby Devil" as I called him.

We had a strange trading relationship for all those years. Most times he was like a ruthless con man but every once in awhile he could actually be fun. The only problem Jim had was that he was totally consumed by Elvis day in and day out. He would call me ??? hours every day especially when he was having the guitar and crowns made up for Elvis and his pals. The whole purpose of this was to somehow meet Elvis but the main objective was to get a jumpsuit which he finally did although, in his own words to me at the time - "After I gave the presents I had made for him Elvis offered NOTHING to give to me so I was forced to tell him that my main reason for having everything made was to get you to give me a jumpsuit"! He then said Elvis looked like he was going to knock him out but regained composure, took off without saying a word and went to the back room and came out with a jumpsuit and almost threw it at Curtin! He had pictures taken (I think by Esposito) but none came out so he spent the rest of his life (well, Elvis' life) pestering Vernon, etc about meeting Elvis again so he could get pictures. Elvis' people thought he was a nut case. That was the Jim Curtin I knew who could be very honest and real but later on he had to invent the "I was Elvis' friend" story that so many others tried to con people with.

I never knew Curtin could sing at all (and I had known him since 1973!) but the day Elvis died he called me and his comment was "Well, Elvis is dead so now I'm taking over"!! And from then on he had jumpsuits made and became an Elvis impersonator. I got him a show at the Club Venus in Baltimore in 1978 or 1979. I saw it and it was unfortunately pathetic! Most of the few people who were there were laughing at him like crazy. But that didn't phase him as he kept up doing the act for years and years after that.

I will give him credit for conning those book publishers (like he conned the normal Elvis collector) into doing his books. The unfortunate part (as he told me himself) is that he didn't make much money on them. Had he tried this approach after Elvis died he would have but his first book UNSEEN ELVIS didn't come out until 1992 and by then the money to be made with an Elvis book of mostly previously seen photos was not even close to what it was in 1977!

thank you for sharing these memories and how JIM CURTIN recieved the jumpsuit , he left that detail out in the interview in the magazine but did mention the pictures
not comming out . Again thnk you WWELVIS . Is it possible you can tell us the details of the picture of you JIM and PAUL , is it from a convention ?

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm

The picture was taken at my home in Baltimore, Md May 22, 1977. Lichter and Curtin drove down (I forget if together or in their own cars?) and then we all left for the Capital Center to see Elvis perform. From what I remember it was a very short show and Elvis ended it with "Let's bring out the dog" and did HOUND DOG and that was it! A big disappointment to be honest with you!

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

wwelvis wrote:The picture was taken at my home in Baltimore, Md May 22, 1977. Lichter and Curtin drove down (I forget if together or in their own cars?) and then we all left for the Capital Center to see Elvis perform. From what I remember it was a very short show and Elvis ended it with "Let's bring out the dog" and did HOUND DOG and that was it! A big disappointment to be honest with you!

thank you WWELVIS , to bad the show was disapointing . ::rocks

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm

It just seemed like Elvis wanted to get out there, do a few songs and go home. I think the show lasted about 45 minutes but I could be wrong.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 am

wwelvis wrote:It just seemed like Elvis wanted to get out there, do a few songs and go home. I think the show lasted about 45 minutes but I could be wrong.

If you saw Presley in Baltimore in 1977, it was May 29 and a very infamous show.

Elvis Presley In Concert
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/Concert_expand.php?id=1133

This is the one where Elvis sat down after about 9 songs, had Sherrill Nielsen sing two numbers, did a quick medley and left the stage. J.D. and Kathy did song solos, Charlie handled all the band introductions, and then Elvis finally returned. It made the news, and it had just followed a very bad evening in Philadelphia the night before.

Does this jar the memory at all?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 am

I sure did see Elvis on the 29th in Baltimore and yes that was the show when he said something like "nature called" and left or vice versa!! Very sad but actually he did sound pretty good.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:34 am

wwelvis wrote:I sure did see Elvis on the 29th in Baltimore and yes that was the show when he said something like "nature called" and left or vice versa!! Very sad but actually he did sound pretty good.

What did your show mates that night have to say? I'm sure Jim loved every second, but what about Paul?

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 pm

We had a strange trading relationship for all those years. Most times he was like a ruthless con man but every once in awhile he could actually be fun. The only problem Jim had was that he was totally consumed by Elvis day in and day out. He would call me ??? hours every day especially when he was having the guitar and crowns made up for Elvis and his pals. The whole purpose of this was to somehow meet Elvis but the main objective was to get a jumpsuit which he finally did although, in his own words to me at the time - "After I gave the presents I had made for him Elvis offered NOTHING to give to me so I was forced to tell him that my main reason for having everything made was to get you to give me a jumpsuit"! He then said Elvis looked like he was going to knock him out but regained composure, took off without saying a word and went to the back room and came out with a jumpsuit and almost threw it at Curtin!

man, if that is true...and I believe it is ( in his book he described the situation more nice)....what a demanding jerk...to bring elvis in such an uncomfortable situation.....so elvis barely did hide his resentment.....
basically sayin"look, elvis...the only reason that I gave you a guitar is that I damn sure expected at least a jumpsuit from you".
it makes you wanna throw up and be ashamed of curtin.
very bad behaviour and extremely selfish.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:10 am

wwelvis wrote:.....Very sad man and a wasted life!

Wow, what an eye-opener. Thanks very much for sharing your stories. I used to envy guys like him when I was much younger, but seeing the things you wrote, no thanks to that kind of "fandom." Man..........

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Hey, Paul! Luis from Brazil here.

Thanks for sharing your memories, pics and information. It's always sad to see someone wasting their lives like that! There may be a number of psychological reasons for it. Very sad episode with Elvis and the jumpsuit too and the "taking over" after his death, which makes us question the nature of many so-called "fans"... How much of it is really love for the guy as much as it is a feeling of wanting to be as important/special as him?

Anyway, keep sharing with us - it's really appreciated, my friend!
All the best and may God bless you!

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Never played the Jim Curtin album I have in my collection ( A Touch Of Presley with poster) until I read your post, I have to agree with you....not good!
I saw Jim at the closing show 2/9/74 when Elvis produced the guitar Jim had made for him.

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 pm

what a sick man