Prestwick Scotland March 2nd 1960

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ArtyMorty
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Prestwick Scotland March 2nd 1960

Post by ArtyMorty »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: Prestwick Scotland March 2nd 1960

Post by Joe Car »

Beautiful pics. Thanks for the link ArtyMorty!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Great find!

Today marks 54 years (!!) since Elvis spent about an hour in Scotland, at Prestwick Airport on a stopover, on Wednesday, March 2, 1960.

The U.K. article written by Carla Callaghan is succinct:
In pictures: Elvis Presley mobbed by screaming fans as plane stops at Prestwick Airport on March 2, 1960
Mar 02, 2014 12:23 | By Carla Callaghan

IT WAS Elvis mania on March 2 1960 as the King of Rock 'n' Roll flew into Prestwick Airport.

THE heartthrob was flying back to America after finishing his military service in Germany.

However, their plane made a stop in Prestwick - which would turn out to be Elvis's one and only visit to Scotland.

Wearing his full military uniform, the 25-year-old, posed for pictures, hugged fans and then asked: "Where am I?".

Fans, mostly teenage girls chanted 'We want Elvis' as he made his way from the plane into a waiting car.

Inside the terminal building, the singer who went on to marry his sweetheart, Priscilla, told them that he was looking forward to seeing his family again.

Elvis Aaron Presley starred in 33 successful films and sold around one billion records.

The star died in 1977 at the age of just 42.
Here are some more photos, thanks to your link:

600302_Prestwick Airport_01.jpg
600302_Prestwick Airport_02.jpg
600302_Prestwick Airport_03.jpg
600302_Prestwick Airport_04.jpg
600302_Prestwick Airport_05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

BONUS!

600303_Daily Record.jpg
Daily Record - Thursday, March 3, 1960

Thanks again, ArtyMorty.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
ArtyMorty
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by ArtyMorty »

Welcome.

drjohncarpenter

ArtyMorty wrote:Welcome.
I love the photo with Mrs. Georgina Lehar.

One wonders what her husband thought, seeing her on the front page of the newspaper, cheek-to-cheek with Elvis, the very next day.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Chris Roberts
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Post by Chris Roberts »

Unfortunately I didn't move to Scotland until 2000 so I missed seeing him in person at Prestwick :cry:

'The Elvis Touch' the Glasgow branch of the O.E.P.F.C. issued a very good 36 page booklet, which I have, to commemorate the 35th anniversary with many pictures and articles.

On the 25th October 1993 D.J.Fontana and Scotty Moore unveiled a Harp Rock plaque on the spot where Elvis spent his only hour in Britain. On the evening of the 24th Scotty and DJ did a 35 minute interview with the Elvis Touch branch of the fan club. There is a transcript of this interview in the above mentioned magazine. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge of the above contributors, who I thank, to post pages of said magazine.

The following question of the interview I found interesting; Elvis Touch - "Both of you worked on most of Elvis's film material didn't you? How do you think he felt about his film music? You read so many versions of Elvis, what he said. They say he hated his film music, do you really think he despised a lot of it?"
Scotty Moore - "There was a lot of it, but usually out of every movie there was one or two good songs, all the little things he had to fit a little scene or something we were talking about ..Ito Eats, Clambake. That's why he'd go in and play piano or something to 1 or 2 in the morning, psyching yourself up to do it".

Another question; Elvis Touch - "When was the last time you saw Elvis?" Scotty - "Myself was the 68 special" DJ - " I seen him a few times after that, I went to Memphis you know."

When unveiling the plaque DJ said "Elvis would have quite enjoyed that today, he would have found that funny, imagine if they put up a plaque to mark everywhere he had spent an hour or more in America".

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Jove »

Thanks for the link.

What was the exact date that Elvis set foot on Scotland, March 2 or 3, 1960?

This previous BBC link has it at March 3.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2196466.stm

Scratch me now a little lower

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

According to the Ayrshire Post dated Friday 4th March 1960, it says - "A large crowd of teenagers were at the United States Air Base terminal at Prestwick Airport on Wednesday night to cheer the American rock 'n' roll singer Sergeant Elvis Presley".

The Scottish Daily Mail dated Thursday 3rd March 1960 says - "Hundreds of screaming teen-agers drowned the noise of the jet engines when Sergeant Elvis (the pelvis) flew into Prestwick last night."

So according to those two sources Elvis was in Prestwick on the evening of Wednesday the 2nd. March 1960.

Another one, the Scottish Daily Express on Thursday 3rd March says - " Girls, you should have been with me last night. I MET ELVIS PRESLEY. Yes Mr Rock 'n' Roll himself - in all his droopy- eyed languor and a little surprised to be in Scotland at all. But, my word, what has the army done to him? You would have asked that more sharply than I did. He is - how can I break this to you gently? - not quite the Elvis you knew in the back stall you know. Take it easy - the fact is he is talking of going in for STAIGHT ACTING. The serious stuff. Not quite Shakespeare - but, er, serious. He arrived at Prestwick Airport at 7:37 pm."

."

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Jove »

Thank you Chris!

Scratch me now a little lower

drjohncarpenter

Chris Roberts wrote:According to the Ayrshire Post dated Friday 4th March 1960, it says - "A large crowd of teenagers were at the United States Air Base terminal at Prestwick Airport on Wednesday night to cheer the American rock 'n' roll singer Sergeant Elvis Presley".

The Scottish Daily Mail dated Thursday 3rd March 1960 says - "Hundreds of screaming teen-agers drowned the noise of the jet engines when Sergeant Elvis (the pelvis) flew into Prestwick last night."

So according to those two sources Elvis was in Prestwick on the evening of Wednesday the 2nd. March 1960.

Another one, the Scottish Daily Express on Thursday 3rd March says - " Girls, you should have been with me last night. I MET ELVIS PRESLEY. Yes Mr Rock 'n' Roll himself - in all his droopy- eyed languor and a little surprised to be in Scotland at all. But, my word, what has the army done to him? You would have asked that more sharply than I did. He is - how can I break this to you gently? - not quite the Elvis you knew in the back stall you know. Take it easy - the fact is he is talking of going in for STAIGHT ACTING. The serious stuff. Not quite Shakespeare - but, er, serious. He arrived at Prestwick Airport at 7:37 pm."

."
The 2014 news report shows March 2, 1960, and given the photos published in the Thursday, March 3, 1960 morning paper (both in my post), the date must be March 2nd. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Chris Roberts

Post by Chris Roberts »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:According to the Ayrshire Post dated Friday 4th March 1960, it says - "A large crowd of teenagers were at the United States Air Base terminal at Prestwick Airport on Wednesday night to cheer the American rock 'n' roll singer Sergeant Elvis Presley".

."

The 2014 news report shows March 2, 1960, and given the photos published in the Thursday, March 3, 1960 morning paper (both in my post), the date must be March 2nd. ;-)
Just got home from a sunny vacation in Florida so I'm a little behind with the posts 8) , good to see that we can agree on the date John, just wish that I had been there. ::rocks

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

From the flight logs it shows that Elvis arrived (after departing Frankdurt) at Prestwick the same day at approx 7:25 pm on March 2.
As Chris stated there is no doubt that he arrived on March 2. However some local fanclubs and newspaper really think He set foot on their ground on March 3.
This is not correct and is a littlee embarrassing, because many fans from Scotland still celeberate this day on march 3.....

Btw: Elvis was phoning priscilla in the photo

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

The fool

Post by The fool »

E-Cat wrote: Btw: Elvis was phoning priscilla in the photo
E-Cat, I´m so very glad to see you back on this forum (unless I have been blind, I don´t read every topic here).

InTheJungleRoom
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by InTheJungleRoom »

Such a shame he didn't fly back in the Lisa Marie... as I understand it, Elvis is still big in the States, still outselling the mime-acts and jokes like Justine Bebo... but in the UK he's HUGE; almost every pub with enough room has an Elvis Tribute on at least a few times a year and he's everywhere culturally... still The King...

"I dreamed I saw the face of God, there was this bright light... so bright I almost couldn't look - I mean I couldn't look at it." - Elvis, 1977.