Post here your Elvis' pictures

Louisville, July 23, 1976 - Faraway, fuzzy shots !

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 am

This is strictly for you hardcore seventies afficionados !

These are two photos from a series of 21 taken by 12-year old Hunter Goatley at Elvis's concert in Louisville, Kentucky, on July 23, 1976 :

760723.jpg

760723 b.jpg

Here's the story :

The very first concert I attended was an Elvis Presley concert on July 23, 1976, at Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY. I was 12 years old and had been an Elvis fan for as long as I could remember---my mom had been a lifelong Elvis fan, and I grew up listening to Elvis. We completely wore out our 8-track tape version of Elvis's Aloha from Hawaii album.

Elvis shows in the '70s sold out very quickly, and by the time I'd even heard Elvis was going to be in Louisville, tickets had been sold out for weeks. As the show approached, a neighbor and classmate whose aunt had bought tickets decided that she didn't want to spend her money ($12.50, an outrageous amount for a concert then---tickets for Elton John and The Eagles that same week that Elvis performed were more like $7) on the concert and wanted to put it toward a pony instead. So out of the blue, I had an opportunity to purchase the ticket. (An aside here: my sister Margaret was killed in an accident on June 21, 1976; she was 11 years old. Two weeks after that, this Elvis ticket became available to me. I was convinced then, and remain convinced, that Margaret had something to do with my getting the ticket. Whatever afterlife there is or isn't, I'll always know that she was involved.) Of course, $12.50 to a 12-year-old in 1976 might as well have been $100. I didn't have it. So I cut lawns and saved up the money, and finally the night of the show arrived.

I borrowed a 35mm camera from a friend; he was convinced I wouldn't be very close, so he set the camera focus to "infinity" for me. Having never used such a fancy, expensive camera before, I wasn't going to chance messing it up! As it turns out, our seats were on the floor, about 16 rows back---closer than "infinity," and the pictures I took ended up all being out-of-focus because I was closer than anticipated.

Elvis performed for less than an hour that night, and he performed "Hurt" twice in a row. But despite the brevity of the performance, I was thrilled to no end. I had seen The King!

(Another aside here: my mother saw Elvis in Louisville in November 1956, when she was 12 years old. 20 years later, an Elvis show was my first concert.)

See the rest of Hunter's Elvis (and audience) photos, and lots of newspaper clippings on the concert, here :

http://www.goatley.com/hunter/concerts/1976-07-23-elvis.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Louisville, July 23, 1976 - Faraway, fuzzy shots !

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 am

Thanks, Mister Moon!

I have this magazine, Louisville Courier & Times, August 29th 1976. It´s too big for my scanner, but here´s part of the front cover anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks for the post and the magazine scan, "The fool".

The photos aren't much, that's true, but I thought it was worth bringing them to everybody's attention. Also, I liked the guy's story on the concert, and the fact that his mother had seen Elvis live twenty years earlier.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks! I always like to read such first hand accounts.

I wonder if the guy knows about James' fantastic page about the '56 Louisville show which also features the know video of the show. If not, is there any way to contact him?

http://www.scottymoore.net/louisville56.html

EDIT:

I just saw his email adress on his site. Think I'm gonna write him and give him the link.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:03 pm

I've lost count as to how many times this (admittedly nice) site and its photos have been posted on this site... :lol:

Photos from this show are kinda scarce, though. Apart from the ones taken by the Courier-Journal and the ones by Mr. Goatley, I'm only aware of the ones by Nancy Cunningham, sample of which can be found at Francesc's site:

An alternate distant photo was recently posted at Facebook by a Ms. Fernette Flowers, which appears to show, in addition to Elvis, Nancy Cunningham taking one of her photos! :)

Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:19 pm

Rocker wrote:Thanks! I always like to read such first hand accounts.

I wonder if the guy knows about James' fantastic page about the '56 Louisville show which also features the know video of the show. If not, is there any way to contact him?

http://www.scottymoore.net/louisville56.html

EDIT:

I just saw his email adress on his site. Think I'm gonna write him and give him the link.

That's a good idea !

Scott Hayward wrote:I've lost count as to how many times this (admittedly nice) site and its photos have been posted on this site...:lol:

If that's true, then whoever posted it failed to mention Hunter Goatley's name, which is not nice, I think.

Before posting, I typed "Goatley" on the FECC searcher, and it gave no results. Of course, typing "Louisville" would have yielded too many results, and I don't have the time, or the will, for that.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:39 am

Weird that Goatley's name doesnt come on the search because I remember about finding his photos years ago

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/c760723.htm

WE lost hundreds of messages years ago.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:43 am

Funny enough this was posted in Jan 25

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81345&p=1255829&hilit=Louisville#p1255829

Mister Moon, I'm not trying to insult you or anything, apparently the search doesnt "search" on links.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:27 pm

Have I ever mentioned the fact that I could have seen the 1976 Louisville show, but passed it up?

I'd rather not talk about it.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:30 pm

The fool wrote:Thanks, Mister Moon!

I have this magazine, Louisville Courier & Times, August 29th 1976. It´s too big for my scanner, but here´s part of the front cover anyway.

Being 12 at the time, I had no use for the magazine, but did cut out that photo, which is on my page. I wish had the whole magazine, now! :)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's nice to know that people enjoy my photos, even if they are pretty lousy. But they're priceless to me!

Hunter

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm

goathunter wrote:Being 12 at the time, I had no use for the magazine, but did cut out that photo, which is on my page. I wish had the whole magazine, now! :)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's nice to know that people enjoy my photos, even if they are pretty lousy. But they're priceless to me!

Hunter

The photos may be lousy, but some people on this board would give an arm to have been in your place.

Thanks for posting them in your page, Hunter, and thanks also for sharing your story on the concert, and on your mother seeing Elvis in 1956.

Priceless, indeed !

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Francesc wrote:Funny enough this was posted in Jan 25

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81345&p=1255829&hilit=Louisville#p1255829

Mister Moon, I'm not trying to insult you or anything, apparently the search doesnt "search" on links.

Oh my... I also posted that link? I couldn't remember... :facep: :D

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 am

goathunter wrote:
The fool wrote:Thanks, Mister Moon!

Being 12 at the time, I had no use for the magazine, but did cut out that photo, which is on my page. I wish had the whole magazine, now! :)

Hunter

THose kind of photos are always welcomed ! Thanks again