Post here your Elvis' pictures

"Elvis In The Army" - Photo Feature, 1964

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 pm

Some Army era photos as published by "Elvis Monthly" in 1964.

EITA 1.jpg

EITA 2.jpg

EITA 3.jpg

EITA 4.jpg

EITA 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "Elvis In The Army" - Photo Feature, 1964

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:57 pm

It is interesting to read (in this 1964 article) that his Christmas Album appears to be re-released in December 1958.
There has been a lot of talk (also on this forum) that there is no actual proof of this, and some people believe it must have been re-released in late '59.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Some Army era photos as published by "Elvis Monthly" in 1964.

Thanks for posting!

Interesting they decided to post an Army era topic when the Beatles were spearheading the British Invasion.

When was this 'Monthly' published in '64?

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Bob-Holland wrote:It is interesting to read (in this 1964 article) that his Christmas Album appears to be re-released in December 1958.
There has been a lot of talk (also on this forum) that there is no actual proof of this, and some people believe it must have been re-released in late '59.

I'm afraid I can't help with this matter, Bob. I have checked the "elvisrecords.us" website, and it gives the re-release date as October 1959. Interestingly, it also mentions December 1958 as the originally planned date :

http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1951-elvis-christmas-album/

EPA4368 wrote:Interesting they decided to post an Army era topic when the Beatles were spearheading the British Invasion.

When was this 'Monthly' published in '64?

I'm sorry but I don't have the original issue. This is taken from the magazine "Elvis Collectors Special No. 8", published in 1984 by the Official EP Fan Club of UK. They devoted that whole issue to reprints of articles and features taken from 1964 Monthlies, even using the original typesetting, etc.

In case you missed it the first time around, here's another article from the same magazine, that I posted here a few months ago :

**Tupelo - "Journey Into Memoriesville", by Albert Hand - http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79357

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Bob-Holland wrote:It is interesting to read (in this 1964 article) that his Christmas Album appears to be re-released in December 1958.

I'm afraid I can't help with this matter, Bob. I have checked the "elvisrecords.us" website, and it gives the re-release date as October 1959. Interestingly, it also mentions December 1958 as the originally planned date :

http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1951-elvis-christmas-album/

No worries, MM. It was just an observation really.
I remember that not too long ago there was a big discussion about this on FECC. And if I'm correct the brilliant elvisrecords site took it's (updated) info from that discussion on this board.

There hardly seems to be any 'proof' (and hard proof is what the FECC-scientists need, right?) that it was really re-released with the new cover/number as early as 1958, which after all seemed to be RCA's original idea. But there is plenty of evidence that it was indeed available from late '59 onwards.
On the other hand, many oldtime collector's claim it was actually re-released in 1958 but very late (too late?) in the year and without any commercial support (no ads in Billboard and alike), hence there also was no chart entry in 1958 for the re-release. I've also heard of the possibility that the re-release, even though it had a new catalog number, did not chart as such (as two separate releases) and that the sales of the first and second release were counted as one.

Just another observation. :smt002