Post here your Elvis' pictures

new to my eyes .

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:47 pm

some of the pictures are new to me , I hope to some of you also .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: new to my eyes .

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Haven't seen the first one before. Thanks Looks like 1957...any idea where it was taken?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Looks lie Elvis wearing the trouser part of his gold suit. So it is maybe from that same photo shoot?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:29 pm

570000.jpg

I would say this is from one of the press conferences he gave in 1957 prior to his concerts.

Thanks for posting, motleycrue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
570000.jpg

I would say this is from one of the press conferences he gave in 1957 prior to his concerts.

Thanks for posting, motleycrue.

your welcome MISTER MOON sorry I have no dates for them. :sosorry:

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 pm

motleycrue wrote:some of the pictures are new to me , I hope to some of you also .

f4430813537c0eab8712e41a14479487.jpg

bbb5d8729e9b1675deae1e3cfe539c1a.jpg

03b88ecead028a5a0c291dafe19f559c.jpg

Nice finds, mostly new to my eyes. They appear to be:

March 1957 (Los Angeles)
April 1973 (Seattle)
January 1973 (Las Vegas)

The 1957 photo does not look like a press conference but a studio pose. If so, where? Was this taken inside Nudie's Rodeo Tailors on 11000 Victory Boulevard in Los Angeles, as the famous gold suit Nudie Cohn designed was being fitted for Elvis?

600000_Nudie at 11000 Victory Blvd_Los Angeles.JPG

The 1973 shot is neat, as it is apparently uncropped. We see all of the Sweet Inspirations, not just Elvis and Myrna Smith. Sadly, only one person is still with us today, Estelle Brown. We lost Myrna and Sylvia Shemwell in 2010.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Certainly the image is intriguing - Elvis looks to be dressed as he did for the Canadian Press conference, April 1957 - with the red jacket and gold trousers - seen in the second photo of Elvis on the desk. One observation is that Elvis can be seen wearing a ring sitting on the desk, and the image of Elvis with his foot resting on a chair. Elvis didn't wear any rings at the Gold suit or Loving You stills.

The publicity stills that were taken with the full gold suit, and used, for example on the cover of '50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2,' were most likely taken at the same location and timeframe as one of the Loving You publicity still sessions at Paramount Studios.

Having said that, the lamp seen, would indicate a portrait session ?

With thanks
David

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm

davide wrote:Certainly the image is intriguing - Elvis looks to be dressed as he did for the Canadian Press conference, April 1957 - with the red jacket and gold trousers - seen in the second photo of Elvis on the desk. One observation is that Elvis can be seen wearing a ring sitting on the desk, and the image of Elvis with his foot resting on a chair.

Plus, the ring is on the same finger in both photos. Definitely looks like it was taken at the Press Conference.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 pm

davide wrote:Certainly the image is intriguing - Elvis looks to be dressed as he did for the Canadian Press conference, April 1957 - with the red jacket and gold trousers - seen in the second photo of Elvis on the desk. One observation is that Elvis can be seen wearing a ring sitting on the desk, and the image of Elvis with his foot resting on a chair. Elvis didn't wear any rings at the Gold suit or Loving You stills.

The publicity stills that were taken with the full gold suit, and used, for example on the cover of '50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong Elvis' Gold Records Volume 2,' were most likely taken at the same location and timeframe as one of the Loving You publicity still sessions at Paramount Studios.

I don't think the lamp would necessarily indicate a portrait session. That's why I suggested the press conference possibility in my post above.

Those press conferences were usually held in (dressing) rooms which most likely didn't have lighting resources to ensure good quality photos being taken. So additional lighting sources being installed wouldn't have been an outlandish idea.

For example, check this photo taken at the Detroit press conference, March 31, 1957. Aside from the small lamp beside Elvis, there's clearly a larger source of light aiming at him :

570331 Detroit.JPG

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
davide wrote:Certainly the image is intriguing - Elvis looks to be dressed as he did for the Canadian Press conference, April 1957 - with the red jacket and gold trousers - seen in the second photo of Elvis on the desk. One observation is that Elvis can be seen wearing a ring sitting on the desk, and the image of Elvis with his foot resting on a chair. Elvis didn't wear any rings at the Gold suit or Loving You stills.

I don't think the lamp would necessarily indicate a portrait session. That's why I suggested the press conference possibility in my post above.

Those press conferences were usually held in (dressing) rooms which most likely didn't have lighting resources to ensure good quality photos being taken. So additional lighting sources being installed wouldn't have been an outlandish idea.

For example, check this photo taken at the Detroit press conference, March 31, 1957. Aside from the small lamp beside Elvis, there's clearly a larger source of light aiming at him :

570331 Detroit.JPG

I agree with your thoughts, so for the moment - we can put this down as being from backstage, Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada, April 2, 1957?

David

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 pm

davide wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

570331 Detroit.JPG

I agree with your thoughts, so for the moment - we can put this down as being from backstage, Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada, April 2, 1957?

David

Thanks, davide.

I don't know, but at least that date is where we can find further images of him wearing the same rare combination of clothes. It would be interesting to know if there are other photos, from other dates, where he wore the red jacket and the gold trousers at the same time. And there's also the ring detail that you noticed.

570402 Toronto.jpg
Last edited by Mister Moon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 pm

The photo of Elvis in the blue outfit isn't from Seattle in April. Firstly, he was using a yellow plane, and secondly, there are some well known pics of him arriving in Seattle wearing that outfit, but with a thick gold necklace. Here's a couple, courtesy of Paul.

Seattle 1.jpg

Seattle 2.jpg

I'd suggest the photo in this post to be maybe June 24, leaving Philadelphia.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Good work on the photos. The assumptions about 1957 and 1974 seem right.

That 1957 shot is so interesting, so weird, really. Never seen it before this topic. It was fun digging out the Nudie Cohn information, though.

Thanks again motleycrue for uploading them.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 pm

The assumptions about 1957 and 1973 seem right.

The assumption about 1957 seems right. The assumption about 73 is most likely out by one year. The photo almost certainly from Philadelphia in 1974. Paul also has the same photo dated as June 74 on Candid Central.

Here he is leaving the hotel in June 74 in the same outfit.

Leaving Philly.jpg

And again, at the airport:

74e.jpg

philadelphia062474b.jpg

Thanks to Paul for these extra pics.

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Definitely right. Meant to type '1974.' I must admit, he looked great in that jacket.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:38 am

Definitely right. Meant to type '1974.' I must admit, he looked great in that jacket.

Thanks Doc. You're right - he did look really good in it, it suited him. Very flattering outfit, and a good colour too. Flashy enough to be unmistakeably Elvis, but not over the top.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:53 am

DarrylMac wrote:

Thanks Doc. You're right - he did look really good in it, it suited him. Very flattering outfit, and a good colour too. Flashy enough to be unmistakeably Elvis, but not over the top.

I loved that outfit as well.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:31 am

He looked very cool in this outfit.