Post here your Elvis' pictures

Memphis - June 17, 1956

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:47 pm

I think this rarely seen photo comes from July 2, 1956, as the clothes are a complete match to the ones he wore that day, but I'm not sure.

Could somebody confirm / deny this date ?

Thanks in advance !

560702 XX.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

New York - July 2, 1956 ?

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Great photo. It looks like Elvis on his way to the RCA Studios alright. If he only knew that he was about to create history.

Re: New York - July 2, 1956 ?

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:22 pm

is the June 17, 1956 Audubon Drive ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 pm

claude 91 wrote:is the June 17, 1956 Audubon Drive ::rocks

You could be right. Elvis seemed up be very fond of those clothes around that time. Here's one from June 19th.

image.jpg

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I think this rarely seen photo comes from July 2, 1956, as the clothes are a complete match to the ones he wore that day, but I'm not sure.

Could somebody confirm / deny this date ?

Thanks in advance !

It's a nice photo, and I agree it is not from New York on July 2, 1956, but likely Memphis the month before. He was in town from June 14 to June 20.

An uncropped image might make identification easier.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 pm

memfisking wrote:Great photo. It looks like Elvis on his way to the RCA Studios alright. If he only knew that he was about to create history.

I stand corrected. On closer inspection of the shirt that Elvis wore on July 2nd, the image does come from that date. See Claude 91's post.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:18 pm

memfisking wrote:
claude 91 wrote:is the June 17, 1956 Audubon Drive ::rocks

You could be right. Elvis seemed up be very fond of those clothes around that time. Here's one from June 19th.

That photo is also from Sunday, June 17, 1956.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Of course, Elvis was out on a date on the 19th.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm

This blog post from 2006 seems to confirm we are looking at Elvis in Memphis on Sunday, June 17, 1956:

Bogie:
I'll have to answer for my sister, Mary Lynne. She remembers Elvis' visit--boy, does she! She and a friend climed into the back of his car when the concert was over and he asked them if they wanted to "go to Memphis"! She had to decline. We had our photo made with Elvis shortly after at his home on Audubon Drive. He was being interviewed by a couple of reporters and photographers in the front of his home. We were just out for a ride and decided to go by his home to see if he was there. He was! Our photo appeared in the Oct. issue of "Elvis Speaks" 1956--the very last picture in the magazine. I was 12, Mary Lynne was 18, and our cousins, Bill and Shirley were 14 and 15--we were in heaven!

560617_w Forrest City fans at Audubon Drive Memphis.JPG

Bogie:
When? Summer of 1956
Where? Elvis' house on Audobon Drive, Memphis, TN
Who? Left to right--My sister, Mary Lynne Bogart, 18, cousin, Shirley, 16, Bogie, 12, and cousin, Bill, 15.
How? Went riding one Sunday afternoon--checked to see if Elvis was home--he was! And so were two reporters and a photographer with The Memphis Commercial Appeal. (The) picture didn't make the newspaper--it was on the last page of a magazine called "Elvis Speaks", released in October, 1956. Ain't we sum'um'!!??

PEACH FUZZ CHRONICLES: 50's Culture: Elvis
http://forrestcitymemories.blogspot.com/2006/07/50s-culture-elvis.html

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks a million memfisking, claude 91, and doc for the additional information and pictures.

But there's something I don't understand. Elvis played Tucson on Sunday, June 10. The next concert was in Atlanta on Friday, June 22. Where does Forrest City fit in this scenario ? Elvis played there more than once in 1955, but did he in 1956 too ?

I wasn't sure of the July 2 date, and now I know why. The picture with Vernon and Gladys where he is wearing the same coat is somewhere in the back of my mind. Also, the hair doesn't look at all like the hair he had on July 2, which was different than usual.

By looking at the photo I posted, and the ones claude 91 and the doc posted, you can tell they are from the same day, maybe minutes apart only.

Thanks again everybody !

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:02 am

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks a million memfisking, claude 91, and doc for the additional information and pictures.

But there's something I don't understand. Elvis played Tucson on Sunday, June 10. The next concert was in Atlanta on Friday, June 22. Where does Forrest City fit in this scenario ? Elvis played there more than once in 1955, but did he in 1956 too ?

I wasn't sure of the July 2 date, and now I know why. The picture with Vernon and Gladys where he is wearing the same coat is somewhere in the back of my mind. Also, the hair doesn't look at all like the hair he had on July 2, which was different than usual.

By looking at the photo I posted, and the ones claude 91 and the doc posted, you can tell they are from the same day, maybe minutes apart only.

Thanks again everybody !

They were just fans from Forrest City who went to Memphis to see if they could meet up with the singer. It's about a 40-minute drive to Memphis. Visit the blog.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Thanks a million memfisking, claude 91, and doc for the additional information and pictures.

Thanks again everybody !

They were just fans from Forrest City who went to Memphis to see if they could meet up with the singer. It's about a 40-minute drive to Memphis. Visit the blog.

I did visit it, that's why I'm asking. There are comments in it about Elvis playing Forrest City, and the main text of the photo, which you posted above the picture with the fans, also mentions "when the concert was over". Maybe it was somebody else's concert.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:26 am

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:They were just fans from Forrest City who went to Memphis to see if they could meet up with the singer. It's about a 40-minute drive to Memphis. Visit the blog.

I did visit it, that's why I'm asking. There are comments in it about Elvis playing Forrest City, and the main text of the photo, which you posted above the picture with the fans, also mentions "when the concert was over". Maybe it was somebody else's concert.

The fan is referring to the memory of the "11/15/55" Elvis Presley concert in Forrest City (Elvis actually played there on 11/14/55).

Seven months later, they drove over to Memphis to see if they could find him. They did!

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:They were just fans from Forrest City who went to Memphis to see if they could meet up with the singer. It's about a 40-minute drive to Memphis. Visit the blog.

The fan is referring to the memory of the "11/15/55" Elvis Presley concert in Forrest City (Elvis actually played there on 11/14/55).

Seven months later, they drove over to Memphis to see if they could find him. They did!

I've re-read it again, and now it makes sense. My bad.

Thanks for the clarification, Doc.

Re: Memphis - June 17, 1956

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:26 pm

No worries -- great little topic!