Caesars Palace '74

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

memphismartin
Registered for: 15 years

Re: Caesars Palace '74

Post by memphismartin »

On a minor note, in photo 4, the lady in the black hair looking at Elvis is Ann Shiels, who is an irish lady that still regularly attends the Irish Elvis Social Club gatherings. I think this picture is used on the rear of the FTD release: "It's Midnight".

memphis martin

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by eligain »

brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:I wish Elvis did this more. He needed to go out more. Jackie Gleason warned him early on that he needed to go out and not become isolated and trapped by his fame. I often think about what a small world Elvis lived in even though he had the whole world at his feet!
He probably got out more that we realize.
Not really. He tended to only go out when the rest of the world was sleeping and then only to places that we open only to him. Rarely out in the public to restaurants and parties etc. that didn't involve only his group.
He didn't go to restaurants or parties because he didn't want to.

If he wanted to go to more restaurants or Hollywood parties he certainly could have.

Fame doesn't stop celebrities from doing those things.
But it seemed to stop him. The bottom line is Elvis isolated himself and was out of touch with the real world and popular culture which wasn't good.
Nah.

Being famous didn't stop Elvis from going to Hollywood parties or going to restaurants.

Celebrities do those things if they want and a lot of them do.

If Elvis was out of touch with popular culture or the real world he should have read more newspapers and watched the news.

Going to Hollywood parties wouldn't have changed that if he was out of touch with the real world.
The reason he didn't go to Hollywood parties is that he felt insecure
I doubt that.

I thought it was that he didn't enjoy the lifestyles of other famous people and couldn't relate to them.

In his life he did go to a few Hollywood parties.

There are stories of Elvis going to see Bobby Darin, Barbara Streisand and Nancy Sinatra concerts In Vegas.

He attended WFL football games in Memphis.

There are stories of him going out to eat with Linda Thompson and people thought he was an Elvis impersonator.

So maybe just maybe he got out more than we realize.
And those were rare occasions and they grew rarer as the 70's went on. Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker have both commented on Elvis being insecure about going to "Hollywood parties".

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:I wish Elvis did this more. He needed to go out more. Jackie Gleason warned him early on that he needed to go out and not become isolated and trapped by his fame. I often think about what a small world Elvis lived in even though he had the whole world at his feet!
Not really. He tended to only go out when the rest of the world was sleeping and then only to places that we open only to him. Rarely out in the public to restaurants and parties etc. that didn't involve only his group.

If he wanted to go to more restaurants or Hollywood parties he certainly could have.

But it seemed to stop him. The bottom line is Elvis isolated himself and was out of touch with the real world and popular culture which wasn't good.
Nah.

Being famous didn't stop Elvis from going to Hollywood parties or going to restaurants.

If Elvis was out of touch with popular culture or the real world he should have read more newspapers and watched the news.

Going to Hollywood parties wouldn't have changed that if he was out of touch with the real world.
I doubt that.

I thought it was that he didn't enjoy the lifestyles of other famous people and couldn't relate to them.

There are stories of Elvis going to see Bobby Darin, Barbara Streisand and Nancy Sinatra concerts In Vegas.

There are stories of him going out to eat with Linda Thompson and people thought he was an Elvis impersonator.

And those were rare occasions and they grew rarer as the 70's went on. Lamar Fike and Marty Lacker have both commented on Elvis being insecure about going to "Hollywood parties".
But he was around other celebrities a lot.

After his concerts in Vegas they would come see him and they would have these parties after the show.

For someone that was so insecure around them.

dreambear
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by dreambear »

Picture 4 is one of my all time favourites from the 70´s. I wish it would have been on the Promisded land LP cover.

DEH

Post by DEH »

rlj4ep wrote:
fn2drive wrote:Good lord he looked ridiculous. Guitar player laughing- at him in pic 1? This is what delusional looks like- very sad.

I can see why you make that statement..... But I'm willing to not read so much into the photo. It is a frozen moment in time and we really do not know why the man with the guitar was laughing. Perhaps Tom Jones had invited Elvis on stage to perform some karate; maybe some jokes were shared, anything is possible. The picture simply captures the moment and not the complete context. I'll extend the benefit of the doubt to Elvis. :wink:

rlj
The fans probably got a kick out of it. It was freaking Elvis! to think the guitar player was laughing AT him is what is funny. too negative. anytime Elvis did something out of the ordinary people think he was drugged up when he was just having fun. Elvis and Tom were good friends and Tom probably thought it was funny too. in a good way.

DEH

Post by DEH »

Elvis didn't really become more secluded until 1976/1977. that's when Sammy Davis and Tom Jones said they lost touch with him. Before that he would be seen and would entertain celebs in Vegas. Sammy Davis talked about being out in Vegas with him and Sammy's wife in the 70's. just having a good time. the hermit Elvis image has been blown out of proportion.

roustabout2014
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by roustabout2014 »

fn2drive wrote:Good lord he looked ridiculous. Guitar player laughing- at him in pic 1? This is what delusional looks like- very sad.
Absolutely agree. to do this is simply embarrassing.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

DEH wrote:Elvis didn't really become more secluded until 1976/1977. that's when Sammy Davis and Tom Jones said they lost touch with him. Before that he would be seen and would entertain celebs in Vegas. Sammy Davis talked about being out in Vegas with him and Sammy's wife in the 70's. just having a good time. the hermit Elvis image has been blown out of proportion.
Your information is again inaccurate. Davis spent time with Elvis circa 1970-71. And it was by mid-1975 that Elvis began to pull back from friends and family alike.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed May 28, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DEH

Post by DEH »

he went out plenty. he went to quite a few shows in vegas in those years. its been overblown that he was a recluse.

DEH

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:Elvis didn't really become more secluded until 1976/1977. that's when Sammy Davis and Tom Jones said they lost touch with him. Before that he would be seen and would entertain celebs in Vegas. Sammy Davis talked about being out in Vegas with him and Sammy's wife in the 70's. just having a good time. the hermit Elvis image has been blown out of proportion.
Your information is again incorrect. Davis spent time with Elvis circa 1970-71. By 1975, Elvis began to pull back from friends and family alike.
Davis saw him 1972 as well and has talked about seeing him in 1974 as well. and as u can see i said he did not get secluded until 1976/1977.

drjohncarpenter

DEH wrote:Davis saw him 1972 as well and has talked about seeing him in 1974 as well. and as u can see i said he did not get secluded until 1976/1977.
They were not "palling around" at that time. Please do provide information to the contrary, if you have it. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DEH

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:Davis saw him 1972 as well and has talked about seeing him in 1974 as well. and as u can see i said he did not get secluded until 1976/1977.
They were not "palling around" at that time. Please do provide information to the contrary, if you have it. :smt023
whats your definition of "palling around"? The only celeb he ever really seemed to "pal around with" was Tom Jones. But Elvis and Sammy did see each in in those years. and Elvis was still seeing celebs up until at least 1974/1975. He had Orbison backstage in december 1976.

drjohncarpenter

DEH wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:They were not "palling around" at that time. Please do provide information to the contrary, if you have it. :smt023
whats your definition of "palling around"? The only celeb he ever really seemed to "pal around with" was Tom Jones. But Elvis and Sammy did see each in in those years. and Elvis was still seeing celebs up until at least 1974/1975. He had Orbison backstage in december 1976.
The standard one. Please do provide information, if you have it. :smt023

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mountain Misst

Post by Mountain Misst »

Elvis looked hot, actually. Looks like he was mucking around to me, and having fun, with other people joining in with the fun.
Last edited by Mountain Misst on Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Misst

Post by Mountain Misst »

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:

Nah.

I doubt that.

Remember that Elvis entertained at night-time so his sleep patterns would be indicative of this; besides the obvious convenience of having privacy when going out with the people he wanted to spend time with.

I don't know if the word "insecure" would have been used? Certainly Elvis may have found some of the Hollywood actors "painful" to be around and tactless, he wouldn't have felt the need to mix with some, due to the falseness of some people in that position. I think he would enjoy down to earth people. Marty and Lamar can only rely on their personal experience and insecurities and project that onto a situation; furthermore, they would always contradict each other, too ;)

Elvis should have come to Australia. :D

SouthernMan
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by SouthernMan »

eligain wrote:
And those were rare occasions and they grew rarer as the 70's went on.
This....

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

elvisbot
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by elvisbot »

Elvis was often portrayed as a recluse trapped in Graceland during his later years. Not true! He usually had a plan worked out where a car would be parked and waiting for him on the street behind Graceland(tho it remains a mystery as to who actually parked the car there.) Elvis would sneak out of his bedroom, walk down the hall and take the kitchen exit, walk across the rear lawn of Graceland property and climb over the wall in the rear. Walk through a neighbor's yard (with their permission), jump into the car and leave on his own. When Joe or Charlie realized he was missing, they would push the panic button and be fearful of his life because even they didn't know what had happened to him.. After awhile, it became something of a routine and they worried less because Elvis always returned safely, never revealing where he had gone. In a way, they were "true" friends because they had to have some respect for his privacy.
On at least one occasion around 1975, Elvis was seen at a local Memphis gas station at 3 am. The attendant reportedly recognized him and asked for an autograph. Elvis replied "y'all think i'm Elvis Presley? I get that all the time. If i were Elvis, would i be here buying gas at 3 am ...by myself? I would just pay someone to do it for me!" The attendant reportedly apologized and said nothing else, believing that he had made a genuine mistake. This was always Elvis' routine to "get away" with being incognito on these jaunts.
Where Elvis went, what he did, and who he saw during these wee hours of the morning is anyone's guess. Me? i think that he probably mingled with real people (tho this "mingling" would be limited to just a few people because of the hours he did this), had some freedom to go places on his own and without an entourage and perhaps had multiple women he was visiting on a regular basis, the reason for the secrecy being that these were women were married and needed total secrecy. I also have come to believe that on at least one occasion, Elvis visited his mother's grave in Tupelo (the time when he was missing for the longest period of time...seven hours).
Ask me how i know this, if you will, but I'll never tell.
End of story.

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Tony.. »

There's a lot more info and pics to be found here on my original thread;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81917&view=unread#unread