Post here your Elvis' pictures

Another 'new' movie publicity shot?? Girl Happy, 1964

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't recall having seen this publicity shot of Elvis singing to a chair (!) before!! :D This is on the front of a magazine from Chile.
ELVIS MAG CHILE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Another 'new' movie publicity shot?? Girl Happy, 1964

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Tony.. wrote:I don't recall having seen this publicity shot of Elvis singing to a chair (!) before!! :D This is on the front of a magazine from Chile.

It's a tiny shot but looks more like Elvis from "Viva Las Vegas."

Perhaps he's singing to Ann-Margret's stand-in during a run-through of "The Lady Loves Me."

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

new to me,thanks Tony!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:21 pm

Not a new one but yes, from "Girl Happy".

You can see a bit bigger version of the shot, along with more from the same shoot (same jacket) here;

--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/Girl-Happy-1964
Last edited by onelove on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:24 pm

onelove wrote:Not a new one but yes, from "Girl Happy".

You can see a bit bigger version of the shot, along with more from the same shoot (same jacket) here;

Cool. Did he wear this jacket and tie in a scene from the movie? It's been a long while since I've watched that classic.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:27 pm

It's certainly a more entertaining film than any of Billy Fury's, Cliff Richards' (with the exception of "Serious charge") or The Beatles (with the exception of "Let it be") cheesy badly acted movies!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
onelove wrote:Not a new one but yes, from "Girl Happy".

Cool. Did he wear this jacket and tie in a scene from the movie? It's been a long while since I've watched that classic.

It's been a long while since I've watched it too but with a quick look at the trailer, you can see Elvis wearing it on the first clips of him.

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz92a77W7mE

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Tony.. wrote:It's certainly a more entertaining film than any of Billy Fury's, Cliff Richards' (with the exception of "Serious charge") or The Beatles (with the exception of "Let it be") cheesy badly acted movies!

Actually, no.

I've not seen the Fury or Richards films, but "A Hard Day's Night" is, by a very wide margin, considered the "Citizen Kane" of rock 'n' roll films. "Girl Happy" is ... um ... not even close, on any level.

Interestingly, the MGM film is the first attempt by Hollywood to acknowledge the massive popularity and influence of the Fab Four in a Presley film, from Elvis being a member of a quartet in matching suits, to songs like "I've Got To Find My Baby," which apes the chorus of the Beatles' stunning cover of "Twist and Shout."

Again, you enjoy Elvis' film, but the reality is ... it's crap.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 pm

onelove wrote:It's been a long while since I've watched it too but with a quick look at the trailer, you can see Elvis wearing it on the first clips of him.

-->
phpBB [video]

Thanks a lot!

You can see the Presley rock and roll quartet in matching suits, as I just referenced!!

640700_Elvis Four.jpg
EAP Four

650814_Fab Four.jpg
FAB Four

And to think some on FECC dare question the idea that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much!

Look at that proof!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:59 pm

I've Got to Find my Baby and She's Evil (The Meanest Girl in Town) are good rock 'n' roll songs, too bad that were in the same LP with Do the Clam, Wolf Call and Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce. If Elvis recorded more songs like the first mentioned, maybe Girl Happy could be a better LP than Roustabout and another Bilboard number one.

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Didn't The Drifters, The Coasters etc wore matching suits?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:It's certainly a more entertaining film than any of Billy Fury's, Cliff Richards' (with the exception of "Serious charge") or The Beatles (with the exception of "Let it be") cheesy badly acted movies!

Actually, no.

I've not seen the Fury or Richards films, but "A Hard Day's Night" is, by a very wide margin, considered the "Citizen Kane" of rock 'n' roll films. "Girl Happy" is ... um ... not even close, on any level.

Interestingly, the MGM film is the first attempt by Hollywood to acknowledge the massive popularity and influence of the Fab Four in a Presley film, from Elvis being a member of a quartet in matching suits, to songs like "I've Got To Find My Baby," which apes the chorus of the Beatles' stunning cover of "Twist and Shout."

Again, you enjoy Elvis' film, but the reality is ... it's crap.

I don't know why some film 'critics' think "A hard day's night" is a good film just because it was done with a respected director. It's just an infantile 3rd rate 'farce' made to cash in on the Beatles success. Acting is poor. Songs are OK, granted, but if I had a choice of watching the Beatles acting like fools on the screen, or Elvis, I personally prefer Elvis. If "Let it be" (ironically their only decent film which has NEVER been officially released) came out, then I would buy it instantaneously. These 4 guys were musicians and songwriters, NOT movie actors. :roll:

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:14 pm

Jove wrote:Didn't The Drifters, The Coasters etc wore matching suits?

They were vocal groups from the 1950s.

To ask such a question you must be totally unaware that, in the summer of 1964, when Elvis was at MGM filming "Girl Happy," he and his three co-stars in his movie rock band were outfitted in matching suits because of the massive Beatles influence at that time. The media called it "the British Invasion."

Learn more here:

British Invasion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion#Influence

Always happy to help!

::rocks

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:59 pm

In Girl Happy Elvis's jacket is a different colour to the other 3 members of the group, just like in the 50's the 3 members of his group would often wear one colour jacket whist he would wear another. Elvis as usual was the first. The Beatles look was more like the Shadows (Cliffs backing group) the Beatles most likely copied their style, or Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

How anyone could relate this to Elvis loving the Beatles very very much is beyond me, he was just following the directors instructions just as he did when singing old McDonald from Double Trouble, just because he did it, didn't mean he loved it very very much.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:In Girl Happy Elvis's jacket is a different colour to the other 3 members of the group, just like in the 50's the 3 members of his group would often wear one colour jacket whist he would wear another. Elvis as usual was the first. The Beatles look was more like the Shadows (Cliffs backing group) the Beatles most likely copied their style, or Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

How anyone could relate this to Elvis loving the Beatles very very much is beyond me, he was just following the directors instructions just as he did when singing old McDonald from Double Trouble, just because he did it, didn't mean he loved it very very much.

No, the outfits are matching, but Elvis' hue is just a bit lighter, such as what we see below.

The concession to the British Invasion is obvious, if not blatant.

640700_Girl Happy_EAP Four.jpg
EAP Four

640209_Sullivan_FAB Four.jpg
FAB Four

True love travels on a gravel road indeed!!

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:16 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
onelove wrote:It's been a long while since I've watched it too but with a quick look at the trailer, you can see Elvis wearing it on the first clips of him.

-->
phpBB [video]

Thanks a lot!

You can see the Presley rock and roll quartet in matching suits, as I just referenced!!

640700_Elvis Four.jpg
EAP Four

650814_Fab Four.jpg
FAB Four

And to think some on FECC dare question the idea that Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much!

Look at that proof!

What proof?!!! it was certainly the director' idea Not Elvis, and we all know when it came to movies, Elvis didn't have much say, it wasn't his idea to be riding in the back of a truck with chickens singing Old MacDonald in double trouble ! it wasn't like Elvis was suggesting ideas to the directors in his movies! he was just doing it to be done with the whole thing ....

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Don't deny what your own two eyes tell you.

"Oh, seeing, seeing, seeing is be-lieeeeeeeving."

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Don't deny what your own two eyes tell you.

"Oh, seeing, seeing, seeing is be-lieeeeeeeving."

But i don't deny what my common sense and mind tell me!

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:In Girl Happy Elvis's jacket is a different colour to the other 3 members of the group, just like in the 50's the 3 members of his group would often wear one colour jacket whist he would wear another. Elvis as usual was the first. The Beatles look was more like the Shadows (Cliffs backing group) the Beatles most likely copied their style, or Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

No, the outfits are matching, but Elvis' hue is just a bit lighter, such as what we see below.

640700_Girl Happy_EAP Four.jpg
EAP Four

640209_Sullivan_FAB Four.jpg
FAB Four

Pity Gary Crosby wasn't playing left handed, your choice of pictures would have been even more alike. :lol:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:52 am

Chris Roberts wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

EAP Four

FAB Four

Pity Gary Crosby wasn't playing left handed, your choice of pictures would have been even more alike. :lol:

Apparently there are some MGM outtakes that depict Crosby trying to fake it left-handed.

If only we knew someone on the forum who could find out if they still exist in the archives.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:31 am

GIRL HAPPY did very well at the boxoffice. :wink:

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:45 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:GIRL HAPPY did very well at the boxoffice. :wink:

damn right!

Mary Ann Mobley-EP-Girl Happy-July 1964.jpg

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Judging by that pic, Elvis was doing VERY well too!!! :P

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Going of topic slightly, the most blatant concession to the British (our :wink: ) invasion is featured in the 1965 movie 'Village Of The Giants' that stars Tommy Kirk and Johnny Crawford. In it is featured a group called 'The Beau Brummels', Beatles copyists if ever there was one! The film also stars a very young Ron Howard.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Going of topic slightly, the most blatant concession to the British (our :wink: ) invasion is featured in the 1965 movie 'Village Of The Giants' that stars Tommy Kirk and Johnny Crawford. In it is featured a group called 'The Beau Brummels', Beatles copyists if ever there was one! The film also stars a very young Ron Howard.

If the group is already a band that has released two top twenty singles and two LPs, as the Beau Brummels had by the film's release in October 1965, they can't be considered suddenly conforming to a trend, as Elvis does in "Girl Happy."

The San Francisco quintet, like many bands that formed in 1964, began with a huge debt to the Beatles. It's just one of a thousand examples of how incredibly huge and influential the Fab Four were in the United States. But, like some of the better acts, their sound evolved to something a little different.

Beau Brummels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beau_Brummels