Post here your Elvis' pictures

Pic doing the rounds... early Elvis or fake?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 am

I apologise if someone has already posted this photo that started circulating yesterday, but I couldn't find a thread, so here it is.
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Pic doing the rounds... early Elvis or fake?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 am

JaneTLC wrote:I apologise if someone has already posted this photo that started circulating yesterday, but I couldn't find a thread, so here it is.
What do you think?

Never seen it before. There's something about the hairline that makes me think it may not be authentic.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 am

Head seems a little large.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:45 am

That's what some of us thought.
The head seems not to match the body.
Yet both head and body 'look' like Elvis. If we ignore the head, where and when might he have worn a white shirt unbuttoned that far down?

Someone could photoshop something like this, but they'd need base photos to work with, or be good at drawing. Or something.
It just came up in a Facebook group, and nobody is claiming paternity, which is also dodgy, imho. If you had a 'new' pic, surely you'd circulate it differently?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:55 am

That appears indeed to be his BODY. But while the head is "his," the features are very distorted. The nose is drooping. Hair is odd. Someone "created" a "new" photo.

I believe it is an elongated child head. Using the Warp function. I will grab my laptop in a few minutes and see what's going on!

The girls look vaguely familiar.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 am

A very similar pose from our boy... This is a real promo shot for "Fun In Acapulco".

1b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:49 am

Yes, it's a typical Elvis stance.

If it's a fake, why would anyone go to all the trouble of making it? Ok, one has gotten used to the dreadful imikimi things around; they are what they are.
But why create a fake 'real' photo?

:-?

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:46 am

Now this is not "it," of course. It would take me a couple days of harder work on it, to get what they got. But just in this time since I posted that I was going to do something, well, Photoshop can do A LOT.

This is a mess, okay? But with more time, and a definite idea of what you wanted to do . . . the head could be distorted!

This WAS the photo in front of the Lauderdale courts, in the first step of a process of massive distortion. (I'm sorry, Elvis. :( )

DistortedCourtsHead_withColorAdjustments.jpg

The photo JaneTLC found, that is "going around."

WhatISThis.jpg

The famous Lauderdale Courts photo, unaltered:

youngelvis4.jpg

They can do anything! But there are signs of distortion on that photo. Whoever did it it, is pretty good at it, and took their time before they got it right. I think the body looks from around the time of Flaming Star.

I would need to work on the forehead a lot more. It's already pretty wide in the original. So it's just a matter of piecework, with the warp function. I made it narrower than before. But you can do it. Anybody wanna try for a match? The shadows, and the facial contours suggest they used this photo. (They might have even used "aging" software, as well.)

@JaneTLC

rjm

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 am

And how about this photo, flipped and with the hat removed?
Which would also square with what Doc said about the hairline.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:15 am

JaneTLC wrote:And how about this photo, flipped and with the hat removed?
Which would also square with what Doc said about the hairline.

Several pictures could work. But the shadows, the light and shadow on the face, the tilt, that all helps. I'm not going to spend a couple days trying to replicate it, that's for sure. But it's a distorted head, almost surely from the teen years and manipulated. It's just not that hard!

Doing the hairline is quite easy, if you are experienced. It's a combination of several tools: rubber-stamp (clone), blur tool, layering of the warp effect, then using the eraser, etc., etc. Many people use masks, as well. But, for the whole head, this would require layering and warping principally. After that, it's the coloring, the "scratches" on the photograph . . . it's just not hard.

As to why? Because they can. Makes them feel important that people are talking about the "new photo." I don't think it's being sold anywhere, because that would be a very serious matter. So, it's ego gratification. Something wrong with somebody to waste talent on such a thing!

Bottom line: that is not his nose! His nose is messed up and drooping.

rjm

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 am

I made a few changes, distorting etc & came up with some similarities to this photo in question. I know it's a bad job..but like some have said...with the right tools one can manufacture a new picture.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 am

I doubled the size, to get a closer look. It's a complete fake, but the technique is of interest.

WhatISThis1.jpg

The side on the left of the photo is most interesting, as it might not even be him. But it might well be someone related to him!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
vernon1933.jpg

Also,

VernonYoung.jpg

rjm

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks rjm, your posts are always interesting, and I seek them out. :D

I agree with you, the photo is all wrong, look at the hands in the photo, too, they are also slightly elongated along with the body. I recall that Elvis said, something to the affect that he wasn't tall as a young teenager, and this person certainly is. If you increase the size of the photo, you can see, would it be called "noise"? is different on the face, too. I also agree with you, the girls look familiar. :D Thanks again, great.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am

You're welcome! It was fun exploring the photo,

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:39 pm

JaneTLC wrote:I apologise if someone has already posted this photo that started circulating yesterday, but I couldn't find a thread, so here it is.
What do you think?

I've always assumed this pic to be real.
But I love reading all theories on why it just has to be a fake. The pic is 60 years old, full of wrinkles and smudges, lots of discolorization, blown way out of proportion after it has been copied over and over, and it looks like a photograph of a photograph in the first place.
For all we know all three heads could have easily been pasted on. But indeed, the head looks a bit too big, or maybe the body is too slim to fit the head? On the other hand, around that age it is not very uncommon when things are out of proportion, and it really is a typical Presley pose for sure.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 pm

There is someting wrong with the girl on the left. Here arm is leaning agaist someting but it looks like it is crossing the arm of "elvis"... his hand and arm are like a ghost... I think its a fake....

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:26 pm

If you look at the shoulder blemish in negative state you can see some writing. I see an "N" quite clearly, so maybe it's distorted because some writing was removed from the original scan/ It might be somewhere else on the web with writing through it? But could explain the distortion and even the head size.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Interesting pic,

looks like a flaming star pose / clothing.
Head is indeed to large, looks like E has a nose like a boxer.

It even looks that the girls are pasted.... :roll:

Ed

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 am

rjm wrote:I doubled the size, to get a closer look. It's a complete fake, but the technique is of interest.

WhatISThis1.jpg

The side on the left of the photo is most interesting, as it might not even be him. But it might well be someone related to him!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/
vernon1933.jpg

Also,

VernonYoung.jpg

rjm

All your Vernon images are reversed. I posted the correct versions on this topic, which you participated in:

Elvis School Footage 1940s
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79004&p=1210581#p1210581

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:02 am

So what's the general verdict? Fake?
It certainly caused some arguments (not here but elsewhere).

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:04 am

ArtyMorty wrote:If you look at the shoulder blemish in negative state you can see some writing. I see an "N" quite clearly, so maybe it's distorted because some writing was removed from the original scan/ It might be somewhere else on the web with writing through it? But could explain the distortion and even the head size.

Yes I see that. Interesting.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am

JaneTLC wrote:So what's the general verdict? Fake?

Faked.

There are strong *elements* of Elvis in it, but it is by no means a "real" photograph. It is a distorted composite of some kind.

The "N" is intriguing; what do you think it means, Arty?

rjm

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Meanwhile the guy who re-posted it from that Facebook page to another Facebook page and got questioned about it has got his knickers in a twist over some perfectly civil comments and questions regarding the authenticity of the photo:

Yes Jane it went personal...neither you nor ***** have proven it not to be real...there is no Flaming Star photo with this pose...I think the quote was "anyone with common sense would know this is fake"...there was no opinion that it "may be" fake...it was pretty emphatic that it was fake ..personally I couldn't care less...I posted other rare photos over there ..I'll bet you and the other expert cannot give the place, date etc of those photos either...this is the drama BS that some people just like to stir, which makes others not want to do or say anything ..cause you have to defend yourself against all the self-ordained Elvis experts...I got the photo from THIS PAGE!...

He seems to think the onus is on the person questioning the pic to prove it's a fake with photographic evidence, when really the onus is on the person who produces a 'new' pic to produce evidence of its authenticity, surely?

This is the page where it was originally posted, in case anyone wishes to pursue it:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elvis-Can ... 94?fref=ts

To me it's a fake. Carefully done, but a fake. I don't understand why people do this and then try and pass them off as real photos. What is the point??

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 pm

JaneTLC wrote:Meanwhile the guy who re-posted it from that Facebook page to another Facebook page and got questioned about it has got his knickers in a twist over some perfectly civil comments and questions regarding the authenticity of the photo:

Yes Jane it went personal...neither you nor ***** have proven it not to be real...there is no Flaming Star photo with this pose...I think the quote was "anyone with common sense would know this is fake"...there was no opinion that it "may be" fake...it was pretty emphatic that it was fake ..personally I couldn't care less...I posted other rare photos over there ..I'll bet you and the other expert cannot give the place, date etc of those photos either...this is the drama BS that some people just like to stir, which makes others not want to do or say anything ..cause you have to defend yourself against all the self-ordained Elvis experts...I got the photo from THIS PAGE!...

He seems to think the onus is on the person questioning the pic to prove it's a fake with photographic evidence, when really the onus is on the person who produces a 'new' pic to produce evidence of its authenticity, surely?

This is the page where it was originally posted, in case anyone wishes to pursue it:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elvis-Can ... 94?fref=ts

To me it's a fake. Carefully done, but a fake. I don't understand why people do this and then try and pass them off as real photos. What is the point??

Read it. Wow. I think that guy had something to do with the "photograph." And you've got his number!

That's basically it.

Most of the others accept ANYTHING, and say "nice," "lovely," "thanks," etc., etc. It could be a reconstruction of King Tut, and if you said it was Elvis, they'd say "nice!"

One person said it was him at "14." (Longest 8th grade fingers I ever saw.) ROFL!

Don't sweat the small stuff.

rjm

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 pm

rjm wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:So what's the general verdict? Fake?

Faked.

There are strong *elements* of Elvis in it, but it is by no means a "real" photograph. It is a distorted composite of some kind.

The "N" is intriguing; what do you think it means, Arty?

rjm

I think it is the remnants of some kid of protective watermark text that at one time ran across that section of the photo. The "N" would be part of a longer word or copyright mark.