Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Yeah, yeah. You are the know it all...Not! :wink:


Graciousness is certainly not a southern courtesy your family taught.

Perhaps in the future, try asking questions with respect, not derision. Then you will not embarrass yourself when the factual information is presented for all to see. ;-)

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:29 am

Oh here now lil' buddy...no need to get all riled up. I'm a Southern boy and have Southern manners, I was raised to respect others when that respect was/is shown back. I was blessed to be born to spot a Bs'r when I see one. Like I have said...everyone here knows who I am, can look me up on youtube, nothing to hide...no fake names to hide behind...until you come out from behind that mask...I am not going to take you seriously. And that includes alot more folks on this forum than you might think...people do chat behind the "scenes" so to speak. You can figure that one out on your own. Regards, Zane Fairchild

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:34 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Oh here now lil' buddy...no need to get all riled up. I'm a Southern boy and have Southern manners ...


Please let us know, skipper, when you will decide to display them here on FECC. ;-)

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:40 am

And please let us know when you decide to emerge from behind that mask lil' buddy. :wink: With kindest regards, Zane "The Skipper" Fairchild

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:43 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:And please let us know when you decide to emerge from behind that mask lil' buddy. :wink: With kindest regards, Zane "The Skipper" Fairchild


You will need to address that question to about 6,350 other "masked" members before you get an answer from me:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/memberlist.php

Guess we'll be waiting a while for them manners to surface ... ;-)

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 am

A blunt?? Lol... Lordy Lordy I think somebody might be smoking something else

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:At the 0.32 mark...Elvis notices the camera on him and quickly takes the cigarette from his mouth. The look he gives is priceless...like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar. He was well aware of not "smoking" or "drinking" in public. As the Colonel preached to him to always show a "clean" image.


phpBB [video]



Cool footage. I first saw it in the video version of "This Is Elvis". Can't recall if it was in the abridged version shown in cinemas, but I'm almost sure it wasn't.

I think there's Dewey Phillips among the many people seen here. And, who's the gal in the dotted dress ?


It's probably FECC member Chuck Staley's wife, Joan.

Staley shot this film, taken Saturday, April 20, 1957, and this is what he wrote in July 2009:



Chuck Staley wrote:Here's what took place that night at Sam Phillips' house. Elvis was late arriving and was very apologetic about being late. As we stood by the pool table he quietly told me that he had a boil on his waist and his belt rubbed on it and it hurt like hell, so he had stopped by the doctor's to get some pain pills. He said the Cigarillo helped take the pain off his mind.

I asked if he minded if I shoot some film footage and he said it was fine with him, just let him know when he could see it.

When the others in the room saw the cigarillo, they all wanted to puff on it. Especially my wife Joan and Elvis' date, Yvonne Lime.

Harry, in the ape mask, also took a puff. Harry actually worked at WHBQ and it was the first time I'd seen him since I got laid off and went to WMCT. Elvis told Harry that Joan and I were moving to California. Joan was going first to get a job, then I would follow. Harry asked if he could ride out with me and help drive and he did. He also had a wreck, but that's a different story.

I hung out with Sam Phillips, Elvis, Charles Underwood, Cash, Orbinson, Perkins, Pittman and all of those guys from time to time. They were all on Dance Party, Dewey's radio show, and at Sun Records. We all drank like hell. Jack Daniels. But never did I smell, hear of or try a joint until almost 10 years later. If there had been grass, we would ALL have been into it.

But maybe not Elvis. He wasn't a "bad boy" like all the rest of us. I'm not sure that I ever saw him take a drink and I certainly never saw him drunk. His momma would not like that!

For those who haven't seen the Dance Party pictures or the Elvis interview, you can catch up here:

http://chuckstaleygallery.com/contactus.aspx

Sorry for the plug.

Hope this helped, drjohncarpenter...


Forum: ELVIS Picture Section
Topic: Did Elvis Smoke Cigarettes? More 50's photos
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46843&p=650112#p650112




Gotta love those first-person accounts. Thanks again, Chuck.

Thanks Doc. Yes the first hand accounts are always the best. Plus I was always curious who was behind that gorilla mask.

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:09 am

1Sixstring wrote:A blunt?? Lol... Lordy Lordy I think somebody might be smoking something else

Thanks Doc. Yes the first hand accounts are always the best. Plus I was always curious who was behind that gorilla mask.


You're welcome. I have tried to contact Chuck in the past couple of years, but have not heard from him. I worry he might not be well. He's not posted on FECC since March 2010.

By the way, please let us know when you decide to emerge from behind that mask, 1Sixstring. ;-)

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
By the way, please let us know when you decide to emerge from behind that mask, 1Sixstring. ;-)



Curtis ?? :shock:

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:45 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
By the way, please let us know when you decide to emerge from behind that mask, 1Sixstring. ;-)



Curtis ?? :shock:


No, it's a jokey reference to someone else's silly request on this page.

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 am

Seem to have hit a nerve there Doc. haha

Seriously, folks may like you more if you would talk to them instead of DOWN to them. :wink:

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 am

It is DEFINITELY not "a blunt."

(This is an old tempest-in-a-teapot, btw. Get it? "Teapot"? Ok, boooooooo.)

The status of the object in question was addressed and denied by, Staley, as I recall.)

This clip version looks slightly edited to me. The smoke was first offered by Gorilla-head to the girl, and then the "you're a square" sign was made.

rjm
P.S. -- Zane, this is not Facebook. You are given the right to privacy here, by choosing a username. In the CB radio craze of the 70s, it was called "your handle" and should be respected. One may reveal as much or as little about oneself as one chooses. Whereas Facebook grabs your phone number without your permission. Give that some thought. Privacy still matters, or it should.

So, if you disagree about something, insisting on the other member's legal name is actually bad manners here. Here, think of it just like "breaker 1-9." I had a handle then! And I have one here. Cool?

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:At the 0.32 mark...Elvis notices the camera on him and quickly takes the cigarette from his mouth. The look he gives is priceless...like a kid with his hand in the cookie jar. He was well aware of not "smoking" or "drinking" in public. As the Colonel preached to him to always show a "clean" image.


phpBB [video]



Cool footage. I first saw it in the video version of "This Is Elvis". Can't recall if it was in the abridged version shown in cinemas, but I'm almost sure it wasn't.

I think there's Dewey Phillips among the many people seen here. And, who's the gal in the dotted dress ?


It's probably FECC member Chuck Staley's wife, Joan.

Staley shot this film, taken Saturday, April 20, 1957, and this is what he wrote in July 2009:



Chuck Staley wrote:Here's what took place that night at Sam Phillips' house. Elvis was late arriving and was very apologetic about being late. As we stood by the pool table he quietly told me that he had a boil on his waist and his belt rubbed on it and it hurt like hell, so he had stopped by the doctor's to get some pain pills. He said the Cigarillo helped take the pain off his mind.

I asked if he minded if I shoot some film footage and he said it was fine with him, just let him know when he could see it.

When the others in the room saw the cigarillo, they all wanted to puff on it. Especially my wife Joan and Elvis' date, Yvonne Lime.

Harry, in the ape mask, also took a puff. Harry actually worked at WHBQ and it was the first time I'd seen him since I got laid off and went to WMCT. Elvis told Harry that Joan and I were moving to California. Joan was going first to get a job, then I would follow. Harry asked if he could ride out with me and help drive and he did. He also had a wreck, but that's a different story.

I hung out with Sam Phillips, Elvis, Charles Underwood, Cash, Orbinson, Perkins, Pittman and all of those guys from time to time. They were all on Dance Party, Dewey's radio show, and at Sun Records. We all drank like hell. Jack Daniels. But never did I smell, hear of or try a joint until almost 10 years later. If there had been grass, we would ALL have been into it.

But maybe not Elvis. He wasn't a "bad boy" like all the rest of us. I'm not sure that I ever saw him take a drink and I certainly never saw him drunk. His momma would not like that!

For those who haven't seen the Dance Party pictures or the Elvis interview, you can catch up here:

http://chuckstaleygallery.com/contactus.aspx

Sorry for the plug.

Hope this helped, drjohncarpenter...


Forum: ELVIS Picture Section
Topic: Did Elvis Smoke Cigarettes? More 50's photos
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46843&p=650112#p650112




Gotta love those first-person accounts. Thanks again, Chuck.



Thanks for the post, Doc. I hadn't read it.

Now that you mention Staley, I think he had a feature article on ETMAHM not many years ago. I got to look for it. His website doesn't work anymore.

rjm wrote:This clip version looks slightly edited to me. The smoke was first offered by Gorilla-head to the girl, and then the "you're a square" sign was made.


Yes, rjm, I think you're right !

There must be several "versions" of this footage.

As I said in a previous post, this clip appeared (for the first time anywhere?) in the long version of "This Is Elvis", but I can't recall seeing Elvis smoke. Perhaps this little bit was edited out. I definitely remember him looking at the camera. I can't check because my Betamax machine stopped working decades ago. Anyone can check with the DVD ?

Thanks.

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:30 am

[quote="rjm"]It is DEFINITELY not "a blunt."

(This is an old tempest-in-a-teapot, btw. Get it? "Teapot"? Ok, boooooooo.)

The status of the object in question was addressed and denied by, Staley, as I recall.)

This clip version looks slightly edited to me. The smoke was first offered by Gorilla-head to the girl, and then the "you're a square" sign was made.

rjm
P.S. -- Zane, this is not Facebook. You are given the right to privacy here, by choosing a username. In the CB radio craze of the 70s, it was called "your handle" and should be respected. One may reveal as much or as little about oneself as one chooses. Whereas Facebook grabs your phone number without your permission. Give that some thought. Privacy still matters, or it should.

So, if you disagree about something, insisting on the other member's legal name is actually bad manners here. Here, think of it just like "breaker 1-9." I had a handle then! And I have one here. Cool?

RJM... I appreciate the advice, but I think I can handle this on my own. I am well aware of "handles" and "CB's" and CW McCall...Convoy...as I grew up in the 70's. It seems to me, bad manners are certainly in fashion from some of the members of this forum. I am a nice guy, but I can give as good as I take. All I did was give my opinion about Elvis, that it looked like he was passing a joint...my opinion...if someone thinks differently, then that's their right...but they are guessing just like I am, as they weren't no more there than I was. If you are wanting respect you got to give it, don't talk down to folks and act like one knows it all, because no one does...I don't care how much one uses google...there is always someone out there that knows more than they do...sorry to bust the ego bubble for certain ones...but thats a fact, Jack! :wink:

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:07 am

Zane, Staley is a member here. That's a major thing. So, whatever anyone thinks they see, and I totally understand, he was there and he says it wasn't. And so, a fellow member here believes him. I mean, we have to give our own members the benefit of the doubt, if they were actually fortunate enough to be at a party like this. Or nobody who was in Elvis' life will come here! if they're not believed. I mean, anybody can "think" what they want, but the gentleman, Mr. Staley, deserves the respect because he came on here, and is a member, you know? It would be wrong to say he's not telling the truth, right at him.

That's how I look at it.

rjm (Robin, my "original" handle ;) )

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Well, if the man says he was there, then I take him at his word and appreciate hearing the stories...unlike a certain member that needs 100% ironclad scientific proof on everything that is posted. I hadn't noticed the post by Chuck Staley, thanks for pointing that out to me. Kindest regards, Zane

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:57 am

rjm wrote: ... Staley is a member here. That's a major thing. So, whatever anyone thinks they see, and I totally understand, he was there and he says it wasn't. And so, a fellow member here believes him. I mean, we have to give our own members the benefit of the doubt, if they were actually fortunate enough to be at a party like this. Or nobody who was in Elvis' life will come here! if they're not believed. I mean, anybody can "think" what they want, but the gentleman, Mr. Staley, deserves the respect because he came on here, and is a member, you know? It would be wrong to say he's not telling the truth, right at him.

That's how I look at it.


100% spot-on. That's why I posted the information for all to see.

Sadly, some people here are opaque thinkers, rjm.

It's life on the internet. ;-)

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:12 am

Looks like a cigarette to me (sorry, I couldn't find a bigger pix).

Image

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:02 am

Mister Mike wrote:Looks like a cigarette to me (sorry, I couldn't find a bigger pix).

Image


Here you go, taken in Nashville, circa February-March 1965.



Image


Image

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:Looks like a cigarette to me (sorry, I couldn't find a bigger pix).

Image


Here you go, taken in Nashville, circa February-March 1965.



Image


Image

Thanks, Doc! :smt023

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:13 am

Several photos on ebay right now of Elvis smoking what appears to be a cigarette. Funny how he appears to be hiding it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 am

Yes.Precilla said he smoked like a train.in something I was watching

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 am

here is my topic that cover this in detail and elvis andh is cigars and what he liked . elvis on only a rare instance smoked cigerette's as he much perferred cigars . read about it here -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28837&hilit=+elvis+smoking

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 am

Image

I've removed the lines and EBAY writing from one of these pictures cos i thought it was a nice shot which I'd not seen before - don't know if that's ok to do or not but....

I know Freddie Mercury specifically took up smoking because he wanted to achieve a raspier quality to his singing voice as well as to give his hands something to do during interviews as he was very conscious of them flailing around when he spoke. Maybe Elvis wanted to achieve the same raspier tone - he certainly achieved this and then some!

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

It seems Elvis increased his cigar/cigarillo-smoking in late 1967. All three Sergio Leone's spaghetti-western movies with Clint Eastwood was released in USA that year, maybe he got inspired. Interestingly it was exactly at this point that Elvis's voice got rougher and a bit hoarsened. I don't know if this has anything to do with his smoking, though, as I understand he didn't inhalate much. Or did he?

Re: Did Elvis smoke cigarettes?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

egilj wrote:It seems Elvis increased his cigar/cigarillo-smoking in late 1967. All three Sergio Leone's spaghetti-western movies with Clint Eastwood was released in USA that year, maybe he got inspired. Interestingly it was exactly at this point that Elvis's voice got rougher and a bit hoarsened. I don't know if this has anything to do with his smoking, though, as I understand he didn't inhalate much. Or did he?


The coarse nature of his "rock" voice was influenced by seeing Tom Jones in concert around this time.