Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: With Myron Cohen, August 1970

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 pm

egilj wrote:That would probably be the Black Brocade suit with red trim.

Not necessarily, DarrylMac's link (a few posts back) has a review to the August 24, 1970, Midnight Show in which Elvis' stage-wear is commented on...

...It was around this time that Elvis resorted to wearing on at least two occasions his off stage two piece suits with shoe string breast (for example, the front cover of the bootleg LP THE LEGEND LIVES ON or the back cover of the '70s Masters box set promo OUT OF THE BOX SAMPLER RJC-66765-2). Another variation, although slightly shorter in the jacket was seen in TTWII showing Elvis hanging out with his fans. In fact, Elvis makes mention of his change in "sartorial splendor" at the dinner show on August 21. He basically notes that he is wearing a dark suit in favor of his usual white suit.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 pm

jon_burrows wrote:
egilj wrote:That would probably be the Black Brocade suit with red trim.

Not necessarily, DarrylMac's link (a few posts back) has a review to the August 24, 1970, Midnight Show in which Elvis' stage-wear is commented on...

...It was around this time that Elvis resorted to wearing on at least two occasions his off stage two piece suits with shoe string breast (for example, the front cover of the bootleg LP THE LEGEND LIVES ON or the back cover of the '70s Masters box set promo OUT OF THE BOX SAMPLER RJC-66765-2). Another variation, although slightly shorter in the jacket was seen in TTWII showing Elvis hanging out with his fans. In fact, Elvis makes mention of his change in "sartorial splendor" at the dinner show on August 21. He basically notes that he is wearing a dark suit in favor of his usual white suit.

Yeah, but I was referring to Brian's "Strictly Elvis"-qoute from August 19 DS; one-piece black jumpsuit with with red scarf. My guess was based on that desciption.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:41 pm

lovin' EP wrote:Here's the footage Doc is referring to in his post. Just thought some of you might like to put it in your favorites. I'm sure most of you have seen this, but I had it in my favorites and had not watched it for a long time until I saw Doc's post about it. It truly is awesome footage. Please forgive me if it has already been posted before.

phpBB [video]

Thank you for this!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The photos of Elvis with singer Charo and comedian Myron Cohen are almost certainly from the same time frame as the candid below, as his appearance is exactly the same:

With Yanique Gomez (future wife of Tom Diskin) - Saturday, August 22, 1970

Well, no one else has commented on the 8-22-1970 date, but I believe my guess is accurate.

bripet56 wrote:Here´s the footage lovin´ EP posted in better quality and 19 seconds longer. However, some of the footage has been cut out of this one, like the last few seconds of Elvis kissing the very shy girl.

phpBB [video]

Thanks, it is a little better quality and there are several different edits.

I also suspect Elvis is being filmed en route to a rehearsal or concert. Sonny is carrying a change of clothes. If we can see what West, Fike, Esposito and Klein are wearing prior to the known filmed rehearsals in the convention center (8-04-1970), showroom (8-07, 8-10-1970, or backstage (before the 8-10-1970 OS), it might help determine a date. My feeling is it is for the 8-10-1970 OS.

bripet56 wrote:I knew I had forgotten to mention something about the photos.

The photos were taken at two different occasions.
Notice how the string holding the suit together is much shorter in the photo where Elvis holds the bottle as well as in the footage posted by lovin´ EP.
In this photo and footage the string is coming out of the 5th hole from the bottom of the jacket while in all the other still photos it is coming out of the 6th hole and still it is long enough to come back down to his waist again.

So we have Elvis on two different occasions here.

Actually, we are seeing three different appearances of Elvis in this lovely suit.

1 - photo in hallway with blue suit and bottle
2 - footage in hallway with blue suit and bottle
3 - photos backstage with blue suit (Charo, Cohen, Gomez)

As I noted, the photos backstage with blue suit are all from the same date, probably 8-22-1970.

The footage is prior to a show, maybe even the 8-10-1970 OS.

The photo in hallway is from another time, as Elvis' hair is falling on his forehead, and he is wearing two rings on his left hand ring finger. There are no rings on his left hand in the TTWII outtake footage.

Note: left hand has rings.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:45 am

WOW!!!!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The photos of Elvis with singer Charo and comedian Myron Cohen are almost certainly from the same time frame as the candid below, as his appearance is exactly the same:

With Yanique Gomez (future wife of Tom Diskin) - Saturday, August 22, 1970

Well, no one else has commented on the 8-22-1970 date, but I believe my guess is accurate.

bripet56 wrote:Here´s the footage lovin´ EP posted in better quality and 19 seconds longer. However, some of the footage has been cut out of this one, like the last few seconds of Elvis kissing the very shy girl.

phpBB [video]

Thanks, it is a little better quality and there are several different edits.

I also suspect Elvis is being filmed en route to a rehearsal or concert. Sonny is carrying a change of clothes. If we can see what West, Fike, Esposito and Klein are wearing prior to the known filmed rehearsals in the convention center (8-04-1970), showroom (8-07, 8-10-1970, or backstage (before the 8-10-1970 OS), it might help determine a date. My feeling is it is for the 8-10-1970 OS.

bripet56 wrote:I knew I had forgotten to mention something about the photos.

The photos were taken at two different occasions.
Notice how the string holding the suit together is much shorter in the photo where Elvis holds the bottle as well as in the footage posted by lovin´ EP.
In this photo and footage the string is coming out of the 5th hole from the bottom of the jacket while in all the other still photos it is coming out of the 6th hole and still it is long enough to come back down to his waist again.

So we have Elvis on two different occasions here.

Actually, we are seeing three different appearances of Elvis in this lovely suit.

1 - photo in hallway with blue suit and bottle
2 - footage in hallway with blue suit and bottle
3 - photos backstage with blue suit (Charo, Cohen, Gomez)

As I noted, the photos backstage with blue suit are all from the same date, probably 8-22-1970.

The footage is prior to a show, maybe even the 8-10-1970 OS.

The photo in hallway is from another time, as Elvis' hair is falling on his forehead, and he is wearing two rings on his left hand ring finger. There are no rings on his left hand in the TTWII outtake footage.

Note: left hand has rings.

Well spotted Doc. I didn´t notice the missing rings in the footage.

Do we know where the Aug 22 date comes from?
I would think the photos with the longer string would be prior to the shorter (cut) string but it could of course be an entirely new string.

The bodyguards clothes does not fit the Aug 4, Aug 7 rehearsals, nor prior to the Aug 10 OS.

I don´t think the footage was taken prior to one of the rehearsals. I just don´t think he would change clothes prior to a rehearsal.

But the footage must at least have been shot no later than August 15 as this was the last day they filmed.
Right?

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:18 am

bripet56 wrote:Well spotted Doc. I didn´t notice the missing rings in the footage.

I would think the photos with the longer string would be prior to the shorter (cut) string but it could of course be an entirely new string.

The bodyguards clothes does not fit the Aug 4, Aug 7 rehearsals, nor prior to the Aug 10 OS.

I don´t think the footage was taken prior to one of the rehearsals. I just don´t think he would change clothes prior to a rehearsal.

But the footage must at least have been shot no later than August 15 as this was the last day they filmed.
Right?

Here's a screenshot from the outtake footage where you clearly see no rings on Elvis' left hand:

700810_Inside Internatonal_MGM outtake.JPG

Two more reasons to date this backstage outtake footage to 8-10-1970:

- Elvis' hair looks exactly as it does at the 8-10-1970 post-show party
- Filming from leaving his suite to post-show party makes sense for opening night

The backstage photos of fan Judy Cherry (blonde) and RCA France rep Yanique Gomez have long been identified as 8-22-1970. One example comes from an E-Cat post made back in 2008:

2 Elvis & a girl identified as Yanick Gomez. The picture is dated in handwritten ink on the reverse as "August 22, 1970";

10 great Ebay Candids: 1969 - 1971 .. some are new...?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41606

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Well spotted Doc. I didn´t notice the missing rings in the footage.

Right?

Here's a screenshot from the outtake footage where you clearly see no rings on Elvis' left hand:

700810_Inside Internatonal_MGM outtake.JPG

Two more reasons to date this backstage outtake footage to 8-10-1970:

- Elvis' hair looks exactly as it does at the 8-10-1970 post-show party
- Filming from leaving his suite to post-show party makes sense for opening night

The backstage photos of fan Judy Cherry (blonde) and RCA France rep Yanique Gomez have long been identified as 8-22-1970. One example comes from an E-Cat post made back in 2008:

2 Elvis & a girl identified as Yanick Gomez. The picture is dated in handwritten ink on the reverse as "August 22, 1970";

10 great Ebay Candids: 1969 - 1971 .. some are new...?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41606

Yeah, I found that second of footage with the missing rings when I watched the film again and clearly we have three different occasions with this suit.

I had the photos dated as Aug 22 as well and I just wondered where we got the date from.
I´m OK with dating them as Aug 22 and Elvis having a new shorter string in the suit at earlier dates.
Maybe some female fan snatched the string off his suit :)

Well Doc, you know me better than that :)
I (almost) never accept a date based on how Elvis´ hair looks and especially not when he´s wearing different clothes and the only thing we have is filmed footage in not the best quality.

Filming from leaving his suite to post-show party makes sense for opening night

I´m not quite sure I can follow you here Doc.

I always thought these parties were held in Elvis´ suite but I might be wrong so let´s assume they were not.
Why would Elvis do his show, go back up to his suite and take a bath, dress in the blue suit, take the elevator down to the basement and his dressing room, change his clothes and then go to the post-show party?
It just doesn´t make sense to me.

I´m sorry, but untill we have some solid facts I´m gonna keep these photos dated as Aug 1970 Las Vegas.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Some more

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Phenomenal work everybody. Much appreciated!!

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 pm

On September 13, 1970 Judy Cherry told Peggy Elzea on the phone that the date for the meeting was August 22. The conversation was taped and transcripted by Peggy. All this in phenomenal book, Elvis - live at the International. I don't have a clue about the other two occations, but wasn't this the suit he wore in the family photos from late November 1970?

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:01 pm

bripet56 wrote:I always thought these parties were held in Elvis´ suite but I might be wrong so let´s assume they were not.
Why would Elvis do his show, go back up to his suite and take a bath, dress in the blue suit, take the elevator down to the basement and his dressing room, change his clothes and then go to the post-show party?

I don't know about every party, but the 8-10-1970 OS party we have on film is from the dressing room at the International. You also misread the rest of my suggestion.

It's possible MGM used opening night to capture an Elvis show from start-to-finish, and the blue suit footage is the start, from suite to dressing room. Then we see pre-show jitters, backstage in live outfit, performance, and post-show party. Somewhere, the MGM documentation must exist for filming of these segments.

I mention his hairstyle looking exactly the same at the post-show party filmed by MGM and the hallway footage because it definitely changed as the season wore on. And the hand-held nature of both segments is very similar.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 pm

rjm wrote:
intheghetto wrote:

The gentleman in the photo may be old, bald, and probably Jewish but it's not Myron Cohen...or at least it's not THEE Myron Cohen.

Close but no ceegar

phpBB [video]

So, he's just standing there with some anonymous old bald dude?

The clip seems older, so people change. Perhaps it's not him, but who?

I'm confused.

It seems likely this man is not Cohen, despite the similarities. Given that his portrait with Elvis is the same time as the one we see with singer and entertainer Charo, he must be associated with her.

Billboard notes that Charo and her then-husband Xavier Cugat were playing down the street at the Tropicana Hotel at the time:

Billboard Aug 29 1970 p18.JPG
Billboard - August 29, 1970
"Alternating with Xavier Cugat and Charo in the Tropicana Hotel's Blue Room is the Six Fingered Glove."

Could the man be associated with the Tropicana? Or part of the Cugat team?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:I always thought these parties were held in Elvis´ suite but I might be wrong so let´s assume they were not.

I don't know about every party, but the 8-10-1970 OS party we have on film is from the dressing room at the International. You also misread the rest of my suggestion.

It's possible MGM used opening night to capture an Elvis show from start-to-finish, and the blue suit footage is the start, from suite to dressing room. Then we see pre-show jitters, backstage in live outfit, performance, and post-show party. Somewhere, the MGM documentation must exist for filming of these segments.

I mention his hairstyle looking exactly the same at the post-show party filmed by MGM and the hallway footage because it definitely changed as the season wore on. And the hand-held nature of both segments is very similar.

OK, so the post-show was held in the dressing room. I´m fine with that.

No Doc, I did not misread the rest of your suggestion?
Although it might make sense that MGM filmed Elvis leaving his suite for the post-show party I can´t see the logic in Elvis doing his show, take the elevator up to his suite, take a bath, put the blue suit on, take the elevator back down to the dressing room and change into other clothes.

And at least Joe Esposito wears different clothes at the post-party show from the walk down to the dressing room.
I find it very hard to believe that he would change his clothes in Elvis´ dressing room.

I don´t have the footage available during the week-end so I can´t tell if the other guys wore the same clothes during the party as they did during the walk.

And yes, Elvis´ hairstyle changed during the engagemant but as I mentioned in an earlier post the footage must be from no later than August 15 as this was the last day MGM filmed.
I don´t think Elvis´ hair changed that much in the course of a week or even 10 days.

No, I still need some hard evidence before I change the date from Aug 1970 to anything else.

It would be great if we had access to all of the MGM documentation for the filming.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56dk

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 pm

bripet56 wrote:Although it might make sense that MGM filmed Elvis leaving his suite for the post-show party I can´t see the logic in Elvis doing his show, take the elevator up to his suite, take a bath, put the blue suit on, take the elevator back down to the dressing room and change into other clothes.

Somehow I am not being clear to you.

Again, I am not saying Presley is leaving the suite for the party, I am suggesting he is leaving the suite to go down and give a performance in the showroom. That is why the clip specifically shows the numbering on the elevator drop from the highest number to the lowest. The director seeks to depict the steps Elvis takes to get to the stage for his show, in the same way he had already filmed the rehearsal process, step-by-step.

Whether they chose the 8-10-1970 OS to capture this footage I do not know, but logic might indicate that would be an obvious date to do it.

Also note, Elvis is not known at this time to take baths, only showers.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 pm

In the video, there are people working, and gathered in a room. Perhaps a cafeteria. So, what time of day or night? Just a shot in the dark. I have no idea.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 pm

rjm wrote:In the video, there are people working, and gathered in a room. Perhaps a cafeteria. So, what time of day or night? Just a shot in the dark. I have no idea.

That appears to be a staff break room. It's Las Vegas, 24/7, so it could be any time of day.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:16 am

eligain wrote:That would have been a great suit to wear onstage!

Oooooohhhh, yeah................ :D

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:56 am

intheghetto wrote:The gentleman in the photo may be old, bald, and probably Jewish but it's not Myron Cohen...or at least it's not THEE Myron Cohen.

Close but no ceegar

I agree. I had never heard of this gentleman, Myron Cohen. But the person in this photo does not look like him. I have changed the topic title.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:58 am

The fool wrote:I agree. I had never heard of this gentleman, Myron Cohen. But the person in this photo does not look like him. I have changed the topic title.

I identified who Cohen was in one of my replies. The man does look a bit like Cohen, but it's likely not him in the 1970 photo. My feeling is that it is someone associated with singer and entertainer Charo, seen in the other photo from backstage.

And all of these are from 8-22-1970, not sure why that did not get in your title revision.