Post here your Elvis' pictures

Rare? Elvis on bass

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:50 pm

This was posted on the Elvis Club Berlin forum. Does anybody have more infos for this pic? I thought it might be from one of the Sullivan rehearsals.

Re: Rare? Elvis on bass

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Yes, I believe it is and I think it was published in a Ger Rijff book a few years back.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Rocker wrote:This was posted on the Elvis Club Berlin forum. Does anybody have more infos for this pic? I thought it might be from one of the Sullivan rehearsals.

It's new to my eyes, and I don't recall seeing it before in any book.

It looks like it was scanned from a postcard, and the background has been removed.

It appears to date to about a week before his debut on the Ed Sullivan program.

560901_Radio Recorders_West Hollywood.JPG
Mugging with Bill Black's acoustic bass, Radio Recorders, West Hollywood - Saturday, September 1, 1956
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:43 pm

Allright. Thanks guys!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 am

Rocker wrote:Allright. Thanks guys!

bripet56 or davide should also chime in -- they also have a ton of knowledge on dating photos.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker wrote:Allright. Thanks guys!

bripet56 or davide should also chime in -- they also have a ton of knowledge on dating photos.

Difficult to say, due to the lack of detail on Elvis' shirt, but I would go with the rehearsal for the Ed Sullivan Show, 9 September, 1956?

Thanks
Davide
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 am

560901_w Nogar_Radio Recorders_West Hollywood_03.JPG

560901_Radio Recorders_West Hollywood_02.JPG

We see the same combination of hair styling, clothing and instrument in photos from Radio Recorders, West Hollywood - Saturday, September 1, 1956.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:58 am

The rings on Elvis' hand look to be the key to solving this?

Davide

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:59 am

It could be!

Where is bripet56? He knows rings.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:03 am

close up of hand

Davide

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 am

Looks like two -- but what of the hair?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:54 am

This blog notes that the image was used on the cover of Wayne Russell's "Footsoldiers and Kings" booklet back in the 1970s/80s:
http://rockabillydukebox.blogspot.co.uk ... kings.html