Post here your Elvis' pictures

another then and now

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 am

I was talking to Bill's daughter Nancy today (or exchanging emails rather) and she mentioned something which made me look up something else , which yield this.
viewacross.jpg

by the way, she was telling me that they made her one of the judges in the Elvis tribute contest thing this year.
She also had this taken recently in a club in Memphis. Like father like daughter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: another then and now

Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 am

JamesVRoy wrote:I was talking to Bill's daughter Nancy today (or exchanging emails rather) and she mentioned something which made me look up something else , which yield this.

by the way, she was telling me that they made her one of the judges in the Elvis tribute contest thing this year.
She also had this taken recently in a club in Memphis. Like father like daughter.

1011650_720788507938383_851716378_n.jpg

That was cool. Thanks!

Bill Black lived down the block, at 971 Belz Avenue, when Scotty resided at 983 Belz.

And it was this very home on 983 Belz Avenue that Elvis visited on Sunday, July 4, 1954, to play music with Scotty.

What a very special Independence Day that was!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:I was talking to Bill's daughter Nancy today (or exchanging emails rather) and she mentioned something which made me look up something else , which yield this.

That was cool. Thanks!

Bill Black lived down the block, at 971 Belz Avenue, when Scotty resided at 983 Belz.

And it was this very home on 983 Belz Avenue that Elvis visited on Sunday, July 4, 1954, to play music with Scotty.

::rocks

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:41 am

Boy, it looks like the neighborhood has fallen on hard times...

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

That was cool. Thanks!

The Blacks lived at 967 Belz Ave. They renamed the street to Eldridge Ave sometime later. I remember Nancy saying she could see the Firestone plant from there and I couldn't figure out how until today.
map.jpg

The picture with Scotty and the kids was taken in front of his house. I used to think it was in front of Bill's

This was Bill's house courtesy of Mike Freeman.

and Scotty's down the street

Mister Mike wrote:Boy, it looks like the neighborhood has fallen on hard times...

I think the closing of the Firestone plant right nearby probably had a lot to do with it.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 am

JamesVRoy wrote:The Blacks lived at 967 Belz Ave.

This book says 971 Belz Avenue, and it was co-written by Mike Freeman, whose photo of Bill's house you use in your post.

970801_Memphis Elvis Style_p96.JPG

Cindy Hazen and Mike Freeman, Memphis Elvis-Style (Winston-Salem: John F. Blair, Publisher, August 1, 1997)

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks James your topics are always a pleasure to read! Also thanks John for the supplemental information. :smt023

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:The Blacks lived at 967 Belz Ave.

This book says 971 Belz Avenue, and it was co-written by Mike Freeman, whose photo of Bill's house you use in your post.

970801_Memphis Elvis Style_p96.JPG

Cindy Hazen and Mike Freeman, Memphis Elvis-Style (Winston-Salem: John F. Blair, Publisher, August 1, 1997)

Mike took the photo (correction, a Sue Mack took the photo and Mike posted it) and listed the address as 967. The number on the house says 967. Nancy confirmed that as their house. Its possible they renumbered it when they changed the name of the street but the numbering on Scotty's remains the same. Both are still physically only two houses apart. Where they got the 971 number from I've no idea unless they were one digit off and thought Bill lived next door at 981 which is the address adjacent to Scotty's (speculation). Bill didn't have a phone at the time so I could find no listing in the 1954 book.

I'll email him.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:17 pm

I emailed Mike and asked him where the 971 number came from. His response was "operator error."

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:10 pm

Cool to see Scotty had DirecTV :lol:

Awesome photos...I love these now and then photos. It's also neat to see the landmarks are still there 60 years later.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:54 am

I visited this location several years ago, and yeah, that neighborhood is not the greatest. Time enough to snap a pic and leave....

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:48 am

I was looking at some photos posted by a Facebook group that I follow and they posted an older photo of the Firestone plant and it made me think of this thread and the current image of the area posted by JamesVRoy. I do not know the year of the photo or who gets credit for it so please do not attack me.

I believe you can see Bill's house and the roof of Scotty's in the photo at the very bottom of the image along that wide street. The area has obviously changed but I believe this older image was taken roughly from the same direction. You can see "FIRESTONE" painted on the stack and the main streets seem to match.

This isn't anything earth shattering, I just thought it was pretty cool.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Greetings all, new UK member here. In April I enjoyed a terrific Memphis tour with Mike Freeman. Subsequent research led me to your pages and I just emailed Mike again. See the 1954 Memphis city directory attachment (with Scotty's given name misspelled). My conclusion is that Bill did indeed live at 967 Belz and although I couldn't get a fix on brother John's second name/initial - you'd imagine it be a mighty strange coincidence if it *wasn't* bro. John at 971

Is anyone in touch with Johnny's family to check this (or maybe Nancy)?

When I queried the change of name from Belz to Eldridge Avenue, Mike suggested as follows:

<< Why did the street name change? We are not sure, but this is our best answer. The Belz family were real estate developers. By the end of the 1950s they developed a large shopping and industrial area on the south side of town. They named a street there "Belz Avenue" and it is still named that. To avoid confusion they, and the city, renamed this little street (and it is little) Eldridge. Because these duplexes were rental properties, they renamed the street whether the residents wanted a name change or not >>

Fascinating - and just imagine what went on when The Hillbilly Cat first sauntered into #983. Looking forward to contributing more

Belz, Eldridge 1954 Memphis city directory2.jpg

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:19 pm

colmalk wrote:Greetings all, new UK member here. In April I enjoyed a terrific Memphis tour with Mike Freeman. Subsequent research led me to your pages and I just emailed Mike again. See the 1954 Memphis city directory attachment (with Scotty's given name misspelled). My conclusion is that Bill did indeed live at 967 Belz and although I couldn't get a fix on brother John's second name/initial - you'd imagine it be a mighty strange coincidence if it *wasn't* bro. John at 971

Is anyone in touch with Johnny's family to check this (or maybe Nancy)?

Belz, Eldridge 1954 Memphis city directory2.jpg

I emailed Nancy. I know she had a cousin about the same age who was Johnny's daughter and she told me before she remembers her mother going next door to use the phone because they didn't have one. I couldn't find an entry for bill at the time, just his dad who lived across from Elvis at the time on Alabama. I took it for granted at the time they used Scotty's . My initial thought was that Johnny was much younger but apparently not. I'll let you know when I hear back. Both Johnny and Bill worked at Firestone so it makes a lot of sense.

This probably explains how Mike got the initial address wrong. He knew Bill lived down the street from Scotty. Scotty had a phone with a listing, Bill didn't but there was a Black at 971. He may have assumed an error in name on the phone company's part.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm

ranskal wrote:I

This isn't anything earth shattering, I just thought it was pretty cool.

Yes, I saw it the other day also, on Memphis Memories I think, and thought the same thing. It is pretty cool.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
colmalk wrote:Is anyone in touch with Johnny's family to check this (or maybe Nancy)?

I emailed Nancy. I

Yes, that was Bill's brother who lived at 971. Thanks for helping clear that up colmalk and welcome to the FECC.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:50 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
colmalk wrote:Is anyone in touch with Johnny's family to check this (or maybe Nancy)?

I emailed Nancy. I

Yes, that was Bill's brother who lived at 971. Thanks for helping clear that up colmalk and welcome to the FECC.

Thanks for the confirmation James and the welcome to the FECC. Re that extract from the Memphis phone book, it seems that Jno is an ancient abbreviation for John. See Google incl>
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/History/ ... 74407.html
I loved my first trip this Spring to Graceland, Sun Studio, Tupelo, the Presleys' Lauderdale Courts apartment, exterior of Humes, the old Overton Shell site etc. & Studio B Nashville. I look forward to much more on the board here, kind regards to all, Colin: