Post here your Elvis' pictures

I was so close! Springfield MO 1956

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 am

image.jpg
I've been trying to find pictures of this show forever! But I was only able to get the ad from the local paper. There wasnt a write up in the paper the day after either. Boo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: I was so close! Springfield MO 1956

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Is this the show John Wilkinson attended as a boy? He told the story several times of having seen Elvis in Springfield......

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Yes, it is.

Peter Verbruggen & John Wilkinson "Memories - Sweetened thru' the ages just like wine":

Elvis came to John Wilkinson's hometown and was second bill to Hank Snow. They were appearing at The Shrine Mosque, about the only place in Springfield to hold any shows. John found out when the sound checks were taking place and decided to make his way there to try and get to see and to speak to Elvis. He went in search of the dressing room and eventually found him. After knocking first before entering, he extended his hand to Elvis introducing himself. Elvis being the polite guy he was, invited him to sit down and asked him what he was doing there. John replied, 'Elvis, you can't play guitar worth a damn'. Elvis laughed and challenged John to play guitar for him. Against the wall was an old Gibson J45. He played and sang for Elvis and he was impressed with this kid. However, the conversation was soon interrupted when two burly guys entered the room and wanted to know what John was doing there. Elvis told them that John was his friend and he had just given him a guitar lesson. Before leaving Elvis told John that one day they would meet again.

Mississippi

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Here's the entire story:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Thanks for uploading, Hilton2000.

I find a lot of the stories in John's later interviews less than convincing, unfortunately. In one interview an unpleasant Parker interupted this first meeting, in another the meeting took place long before Parker became Elvis's manager. It's also interesting how the, reputedly, very quiet Mr. Wilkinson was the most outspoken and self-assured 10 year-old you ever saw. And that he didn't tell his mother about this meeting even when he started working for Elvis? Or how about the three days party he spent with Elvis in the mid-sixties? Or that Elvis told him in 1967 that he planned to go out on tour and wanted John as his guitarist?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 pm

BrandtMichaels wrote:
image.jpg
I've been trying to find pictures of this show forever! But I was only able to get the ad from the local paper. There wasnt a write up in the paper the day after either. Boo.

Shhot I need a scan of that ad ... :D

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:22 am

This is all i can do, sorry...

Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:40 am

haha thanks

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 am

:wink: Por nada

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:18 am

Thank Brandt

Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:25 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Thank Brandt

Ops right , thank you Brandt.

Since we are at, do you know the name of the newspaper ?

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 am

I got the ad at home, will send you when I get back.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Here you go Francesc.

I got my ad from the library and they didnĀ“t write which paper the ad apperaed in only that it appeared in the four days prior to the show and that they could not find anything else about the visit.
I just think there should have been. Elvis was big news in May 1956.

560517-Springfield.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Brian. As Brandt said there was nothing the day after.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Springfield News Leader. That was from the day of.