Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis at stax Denver

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Does anyone have the photo of Elvis from Denver 1970 that is on the cover of this release? And who is the photo credited to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis at stax Denver

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:40 pm

I´ve never seen this particular November 25, 1970 photo of Elvis before so can´t help you out there.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm

elvisnorway wrote:Does anyone have the photo of Elvis from Denver 1970 that is on the cover of this release? And who is the photo credited to?

All the photos from the Denver Police Department on Wednesday, November 25, 1970 were likely by photographer Sgt. Bill Smith.

701125_w Denver police chief Seaton.JPG
With Chief George Seaton

701125_w Tina Rowe at Denver PD.JPG
With assistant Tina Rowe

701125_w Denver police officials.JPG
Elvis meets with Denver Police Captain Jerry Kennedy (right, standing), Chief George Seaton (right, seated) and other police officials during a visit to Denver in 1970. Presley donated $5,000 for the completion of a police gym, and he got a badge.
Photos: Bill Smith, Denver Police Department

See more here:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/jail70.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:14 pm

I thought we had agreed upon November 25, 1970 for these photos acording to a previous discussion and a post from the guy who put those photos online.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40401&hilit=Denver+Little+Rock+November+1970&start=75

Hello folks,

I'm Dave Bentley, the webmaster of the Little Rock Ski Club. I've received a few emails from some of you inquiring about the Elvis photos. The past member of our club who took those 4 pictures, had his sister scan and email them to me for a slideshow for our 40th anniversary last year. He wishes to remain anonymous. We also have another current club member who was on that Braniff flight. You already know him as Dave Greunewald, from his article in the August '07 ski club newsletter. Both gentlemen are in their 70's, I believe, and neither seem interested in discussing their story online.

Here's an excerpt of what the anonymous photographer emailed me (edited to remove his name, and some other off-topic stuff):

I was a member of the Ski Club; on the day before Thanskgiving 1970 we boarded a Braniff fight from LR to Denver.

Unknown to us, Elvis WAS aboard the plane, in the first class section. Some of us commented on the boarding of the plane through the rear door, instead of the usual stairs up front. We also noticed the curtains dividing the first class section from coach class were drawn.

Soon after take-off, we learned that Elvis was aboard. We were allowed to go up front to meet him. He was on his way back to LA, from a visit in Memphis with his Mom. He preferred to fly commercial because he disliked flying in a private jet.

Later he got on the cabin speaker system and sang a bit of "Love Me Tender."

I had black-and-white film in my camera; I took four photos of him visiting with passengers in the first rows of the coach class.

Upon arrival at Denver, he, his bodygaurd and a young woman traveling companion got off first.

I have no plans to sell the photos or the rights to the photos.

Thanks for your interest!

[name withheld]

I checked an online perpetual calendar, and the day before Thanksgiving 1970 was Nov 25th.
I'm not sure if he was told, or assumed that " He was on his way back to LA, from a visit in Memphis with his Mom. He preferred to fly commercial because he disliked flying in a private jet." Apparently Elvis rarely traveled by commercial jet (you guys would know better than me), so perhaps this is what the passengers were told as a cover-story.

If you Elvis experts can match up dates, etc, perhaps the facts surrounding this flight would be of interest to the two gentlemen. I can forward your questions on to them.

Thanks,
Dave Bentley

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Did he go back to Denver to collect the badge on nov 25?

I know that EPE owns the rights to a more common photo, but the photo is probably taken by Bill Smith. I saw a scan of the back of the cd booklet, but no credits for Bill Smith or EPE.
I wonder if there would be any chance of getting the pics from the denver police? Especially the one of Seaton and Elvis.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 am

bripet56 wrote:I thought we had agreed upon November 25, 1970 for these photos acording to a previous discussion and a post from the guy who put those photos online.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40401

Hello folks,

I'm Dave Bentley, the webmaster of the Little Rock Ski Club. I've received a few emails from some of you inquiring about the Elvis photos. The past member of our club who took those 4 pictures, had his sister scan and email them to me for a slideshow for our 40th anniversary last year. He wishes to remain anonymous. We also have another current club member who was on that Braniff flight. You already know him as Dave Greunewald, from his article in the August '07 ski club newsletter. Both gentlemen are in their 70's, I believe, and neither seem interested in discussing their story online.

Here's an excerpt of what the anonymous photographer emailed me (edited to remove his name, and some other off-topic stuff):

I was a member of the Ski Club; on the day before Thanskgiving 1970 we boarded a Braniff fight from LR to Denver.

Unknown to us, Elvis WAS aboard the plane, in the first class section. Some of us commented on the boarding of the plane through the rear door, instead of the usual stairs up front. We also noticed the curtains dividing the first class section from coach class were drawn.

Soon after take-off, we learned that Elvis was aboard. We were allowed to go up front to meet him. He was on his way back to LA, from a visit in Memphis with his Mom. He preferred to fly commercial because he disliked flying in a private jet.

Later he got on the cabin speaker system and sang a bit of "Love Me Tender."

I had black-and-white film in my camera; I took four photos of him visiting with passengers in the first rows of the coach class.

Upon arrival at Denver, he, his bodygaurd and a young woman traveling companion got off first.

I have no plans to sell the photos or the rights to the photos.

Thanks for your interest!

[name withheld]

I checked an online perpetual calendar, and the day before Thanksgiving 1970 was Nov 25th.
I'm not sure if he was told, or assumed that " He was on his way back to LA, from a visit in Memphis with his Mom. He preferred to fly commercial because he disliked flying in a private jet." Apparently Elvis rarely traveled by commercial jet (you guys would know better than me), so perhaps this is what the passengers were told as a cover-story.

If you Elvis experts can match up dates, etc, perhaps the facts surrounding this flight would be of interest to the two gentlemen. I can forward your questions on to them.

Thanks,
Dave Bentley

I never agreed to anything regarding this topic side-issue, but it seems clear from the evidence that 11-25-1970 seems more likely for this Denver PD visit. Presley's appearance on the plane en route to Denver, captured in some remarkable candids, matches what we see in the Sgt. Bill Smith photos I posted above.

701125_Plane1.jpg
701125_Plane2.jpg
701125_Plane3.jpg
701125_Plane4.jpg

And the lovely tie Elvis has on was borrowed, which explains its somewhat awkward appearance on the singer.

So on Wednesday afternoon, November 25, 1970, Elvis flew from Memphis (or Little Rock) to Denver, got his badge and ID photo done, and grabbed another flight to Los Angeles. As for the young woman and bodyguard with him, we still do not know for sure who they were (Joyce Bova and Jerry Schilling, perhaps).

The plane clock shows 12:40pm. Assuming it shows Little Rock time (CT) and a 12 noon takeoff, they would arrive in Denver around 1:00pm Denver time (MT), leaving plenty of leeway to get to the Denver Police Department and be seen in the photos taken around 2:30pm.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:46 pm

I´m glad you agree with the November 25, 1970 date for these photos Doc.

As for the time E-Cat pointed out that:
I really don think the time is 12:40 but 8:03 (ETA : 09:45) - btw: this is a dual cabin clock that Braniff introduced in 1968..

What do you think? Could it be ATD (Actual Time of Departure) 8:03 CT and ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) 9:45 MT. Am, I assume.
I checked the internet and a nonstop flight from Little Rock to Denver would take 2:21 hrs. Departure at 9:09 CT and arrival at 10:30 MT.

Notice that in the painting in front of Elvis you can make out almost the entire "BRANIFF INTERNATIONAL"

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:28 pm

From http://tinalewisrowe.com/2008/05/, this is Tina Rowe's account of meeting Elvis (see photo above):

I mention in my bio that I was kissed by Elvis - passionately. Actually, it was more like deeply and warmly. Maybe sweetly and friendly. But it was nice!

Since I first wrote this article, in 2008, several stories have been done about the day, because of the donation Elvis made (mentioned in the next paragraph). As a result, I’ve had to correct the dollar figure and some other information–but the kiss is the same. Hey, some things just aren’t as memorable!

It was 1971 [sic] and Elvis had just given Denver Chief of Police George Seaton a check for several thousand dollars to fully equip a gym in honor of slain officer Merle Nading [This detail is inaccurate because, although Elvis did make a donation, it could not have been until the following year; Officer Nading was killed off-duty on 3rd October 1971]. Elvis wasn’t wearing a tie with his open collared shirt, so when Chief Seaton gave him a tie tack that looked like little handcuffs, Elvis borrowed someone’s tie so he could wear the tie tack for a few photos.

The tie tack was recently purchased by a collector and I was able to provide the information that Elvis grumbled a bit to someone in the room about not liking the look of the tie with that shirt. (That style of shirt – or the actual shirt – is seen in a lot of photos of Elvis in that era, so he must have liked the look!)

I was in a nearby office when Sergeant Bill Smith, a police photographer, called me and told me to come over and get my photo taken with Elvis Presley. I said I didn’t want to, because I didn’t think the chief or anyone else would want me to do that. But, Sergeant Smith insisted and when I arrived someone introduced me to Elvis, who was very nice about the whole thing. He said, “What about you let me get a nice photo with you, Honey?” I said OK and Sgt. Smith took the picture.

Then, he told Sgt. Smith, “You should get one that is more friendly.” That’s when he gave me the kiss. I expected a quick little peck on the lips, but what I got was (what seemed to me anyway) a very warm kiss! I was so embarrassed I almost couldn’t think of anything to say. What I did say was, “If you’re very lucky, I’ll give you my autograph.” He smiled and chuckled. I asked him about his baby and he showed me two photos of Lisa Marie, which he had in a little plastic photo holder.

Bill was laughing through all of this and still getting his camera and flash set up (isn’t that the way it always is??). I would give a lot to have a photo of the kiss!

Let me assure you, Elvis was not impressed or enthralled with me particularly, he was just very gentlemanly, and I think he figured I’d like saying I was kissed by Elvis. Well, heck, I DO like saying it!

When I was the United States Marshal for Colorado I had the photo on my memorabilia wall, and every foreign visitor was much more impressed with the Elvis photo than with anything else. Several got their own photos taken next to it! Isn’t it amazing how a legend like Elvis Presley can live on in that way?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Garfield wrote:From http://tinalewisrowe.com/2008/05/, this is Tina Rowe's account of meeting Elvis (see photo above):

I mention in my bio that I was kissed by Elvis - passionately. Actually, it was more like deeply and warmly. Maybe sweetly and friendly. But it was nice!

Since I first wrote this article, in 2008, several stories have been done about the day, because of the donation Elvis made (mentioned in the next paragraph). As a result, I’ve had to correct the dollar figure and some other information–but the kiss is the same. Hey, some things just aren’t as memorable!

It was 1971 [sic] and Elvis had just given Denver Chief of Police George Seaton a check for several thousand dollars to fully equip a gym in honor of slain officer Merle Nading [This detail is inaccurate because, although Elvis did make a donation, it could not have been until the following year; Officer Nading was killed off-duty on 3rd October 1971]. Elvis wasn’t wearing a tie with his open collared shirt, so when Chief Seaton gave him a tie tack that looked like little handcuffs, Elvis borrowed someone’s tie so he could wear the tie tack for a few photos.

The tie tack was recently purchased by a collector and I was able to provide the information that Elvis grumbled a bit to someone in the room about not liking the look of the tie with that shirt. (That style of shirt – or the actual shirt – is seen in a lot of photos of Elvis in that era, so he must have liked the look!)

I was in a nearby office when Sergeant Bill Smith, a police photographer, called me and told me to come over and get my photo taken with Elvis Presley. I said I didn’t want to, because I didn’t think the chief or anyone else would want me to do that. But, Sergeant Smith insisted and when I arrived someone introduced me to Elvis, who was very nice about the whole thing. He said, “What about you let me get a nice photo with you, Honey?” I said OK and Sgt. Smith took the picture.

Then, he told Sgt. Smith, “You should get one that is more friendly.” That’s when he gave me the kiss. I expected a quick little peck on the lips, but what I got was (what seemed to me anyway) a very warm kiss! I was so embarrassed I almost couldn’t think of anything to say. What I did say was, “If you’re very lucky, I’ll give you my autograph.” He smiled and chuckled. I asked him about his baby and he showed me two photos of Lisa Marie, which he had in a little plastic photo holder.

Bill was laughing through all of this and still getting his camera and flash set up (isn’t that the way it always is??). I would give a lot to have a photo of the kiss!

Let me assure you, Elvis was not impressed or enthralled with me particularly, he was just very gentlemanly, and I think he figured I’d like saying I was kissed by Elvis. Well, heck, I DO like saying it!

When I was the United States Marshal for Colorado I had the photo on my memorabilia wall, and every foreign visitor was much more impressed with the Elvis photo than with anything else. Several got their own photos taken next to it! Isn’t it amazing how a legend like Elvis Presley can live on in that way?

Thanks, I've seen that :)

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:53 am

Here is the Japanese ad for Elvis at Stax.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Wow. Thanks Jove! Is this something that is given out? I want one. Lol

Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 pm

I'll make the date changes to the 2 pages. The plane photos and the badge photos.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ane70.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ail70.html