RARE 1971 jumpsuit

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bripet56
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

RARE 1971 jumpsuit

Post by bripet56 »

Searching the internet I found this photo showing Elvis wearing a jumpsuit that I don´t believe we have seen in other photos.

I actually have had the photo for a couple of years as I used it in a list I made of the suits he wore during his concert years but I don´t know where I stored the photo because I couldn´t find it in my folders.
However, hope it´s new to most of you.

According to a Las Vegas report this is what I have written about the suit.
White Jumpsuit, small Stars of Golden Studs
A small short metal fringe was hanging from the centre of each Star.
Similar Belt! Made up of squares of stars, cut and joined together, with a short metal strand from the centre of each all the way round.. Worn with a BLACK Scarf
elvis-sm-1024x693.jpg
http://www.onehellofaneye.com/2010/08/05/elvis-the-king-and-i/

Elvis wore this suit on August 18, 1971 Midnight show. Don´t know if he wore it at other shows.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When I was a child I was a dreamer,
I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book
And I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie
So every dream I´ve ever dreamed has come true a hundred times.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: RARE 1971 jumpsuit

Post by DarrylMac »

Hi Brian,

There's some film of Elvis in that suit singing The Impossible Dream, if memory serves. It had short fringes along the arms too. as can be made out in the photos.

Here's a link:

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Heres a bit more info Brian - must have been worn on a couple of occasions, as it looks like a white belt in one pic, and the video, and purple in a differnent pic. Thanks Fransesc, as always.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/jumpsuits/1971-02.htm

swagers
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by swagers »

they call it the knot suit and yes he wore it more tha year
but only in 1971
jan

egilj
Registered for: 14 years

Post by egilj »

Brian's pic shows the Tassel suit and is taken in January/February 1971(Fashion for a king). By the description in Elvis - live at the international it looks like he also wore it on August 18. The link that DarrylMac shared shows Elvis in the Knot Suit.

egilj

Post by egilj »

By the way, to seperate the photos from February and August there's two important keys. In February the bands platform is coverd with carpet, in August it's not. And Elvis used the small "That's the way it is"-microphone (Electro Voice RE-15) in February while he used a much larger one (Electro Voice RE-16) in August (and also in Tahoe). This implies that none of the known pics of the Elvis Now-suit or the numerous Ciscos were taken in January/February.

noone
Registered for: 15 years

Post by noone »

That is correct egilj ::rocks

egilj

Post by egilj »

noone wrote:That is correct egilj ::rocks
Good. Noone rocks too!

onelove
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by onelove »

DarrylMac wrote:Heres a bit more info Brian - must have been worn on a couple of occasions, as it looks like a white belt in one pic, and the video, and purple in a differnent pic. Thanks Fransesc, as always.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/jumpsuits/1971-02.htm
Not the same suit. If you look at the suit in Salisbury's shot you'll see it has 'stars' on the chest area, and a little fringe is hanging from the center of each star.
The "knot suit" has the chest area pretty much just covered with small fringes.

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

Thanks all for your comments.

I knew it wasn´t the Knot suit but had forgotten to look in "Fashion for a King" to find out the name of the suit.

Egilj, you are of course right in the photo being from Jan/Feb 1971.
Unfortunately I haven´t got much info on this season so I don´t know of any Jan/Feb 1971 dates that Elvis wore this suit.
The only one I know of is the August 18, 1971 MS.

Sincerely
Brian

Mr. TCB
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Mr. TCB »

bripet56 wrote:Searching the internet I found this photo showing Elvis wearing a jumpsuit that I don´t believe we have seen in other photos.

I actually have had the photo for a couple of years as I used it in a list I made of the suits he wore during his concert years but I don´t know where I stored the photo because I couldn´t find it in my folders.

Similar Belt! Made up of squares of stars, cut and joined together, with a short metal strand from the centre of each all the way round.. Worn with a BLACK Scarf
elvis-sm-1024x693.jpg

Elvis wore this suit on August 18, 1971 Midnight show. Don´t know if he wore it at other shows.

Sincerely
Brian
Brian, the suit you posted is actually the "Star Tassel" suit. You did have the date correct though! As far as anyone knows, it was only worn once. Here's another picture. And the "Knot Suit" is a completely separate suit. You'll see the difference with the close up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr. TCB
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Mr. TCB »

This is the Knot Suit. You can see the difference.

egilj

Post by egilj »

Mr. TCB wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Searching the internet I found this photo showing Elvis wearing a jumpsuit that I don´t believe we have seen in other photos.

elvis-sm-1024x693.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
Brian, the suit you posted is actually the "Star Tassel" suit. You did have the date correct though! As far as anyone knows, it was only worn once. Here's another picture. And the "Knot Suit" is a completely separate suit. You'll see the difference with the close up.
Read my posts and Brian's answer, please.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Cool photos and information

swagers
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by swagers »

you,re right and i was wrong it was they tassel suit and not
the knot suit
thanks for pointing me at my mistake
thanks for the last foto of they tasselsuit never saw that one
jan

noone

Post by noone »

Mr. TCB wrote:

elvis-sm-1024x693.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

These photos are 100 % from January/February 1971 because the photographer was only at one show and he grabbed the menu from his table when he left and it was the menu from this season. I know because I bought these photos from him and he offered me the menu also.
You can also read egilj post about the microphone and carpet on front of the tcb platform. But I also believe that it was used in August 18, 1971 midnight show.

egilj

Post by egilj »

noone wrote:
Mr. TCB wrote:

elvis-sm-1024x693.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

These photos are 100 % from January/February 1971 because the photographer was only at one show and he grabbed the menu from his table when he left and it was the menu from this season. I know because I bought these photos from him and he offered me the menu also.
You can also read egilj post about the microphone and carpet on front of the tcb platform. But I also believe that it was used in August 18, 1971 midnight show.
Thank you for additional info, noone

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

noone wrote:
Mr. TCB wrote:

elvis-sm-1024x693.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

Cool, any chance of letting us see what the other photos look like in original quality. How many photos did he take/you buy?

Sincerely
Brian

noone

Post by noone »

I bought 6 files from negative 70mb each, sorry but I can`t share them because I paid 1000usd for them. You can see five of them in the Fashion for a King book. The files is big but the quality of them is not the best, the two photos posted here is the two best shots he take that night the photographer told me.

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

noone wrote:I bought 6 files from negative 70mb each, sorry but I can`t share them because I paid 1000usd for them. You can see five of them in the Fashion for a King book. The files is big but the quality of them is not the best, the two photos posted here is the two best shots he take that night the photographer told me.
That´s quite understandable noone. That´s a lot of money but then again, that´s a VERY RARE suit.

I´ve scanned the photos from Fashion for a King so now I´ve got at least five of the six photos.

Sincerely
Brian

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

I totally forgot about that post. For me this was a new photo but I guess I forgot i saw it already and the sad part commented about it .... :facep:

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

Francesc wrote:
I totally forgot about that post. For me this was a new photo but I guess I forgot i saw it already and the sad part commented about it .... :facep:
Oops, me too :facep: :facep: :facep: :facep:
I must be getting old :?

Sincerely
Brian

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by hilton22000 »

:smt003 this was great!!!
We're not getting younger, right, my friends?

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

hahaha - if it's any consolation guys, in that old post, I again confused it with the knot suit after an initial glance! :)

We're all growing old together, at least!!!