Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Is there a chance this jacket is from the 68 comeback?

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:08 am

Sorry Doc - you say now you DIDN'T suggest the clothes were cheaply made?

What your few photos show, beginning with the ones circa 1970-71, is that Elvis somewhat liked the costumes designed by Bill Belew in June 1968 and requested -- after the special -- that Belew make a few similar items for him to wear, most likely using more expensive and longer-lasting material.

Why more expensive? Because NBC-TV and Singer had a specific program budget; it is a fact they were so cheap they would not underwrite STEREO recording at Burbank, even when engineer Bones Howe begged them. Thus, Belew had to adhere to its constraints as much as anyone else.

Surely your whole point here is your suggesting Elvis would have requested Bill Belew create replicas in more expensive and long lasting material, and went on to talk about how cheap NBC were. Does that not imply you feel the originals were cheaply made?

Essentially, by refusing to accept any of the evidence of Elvis clearly wearing the same clothes that were made for the special, insiting they are instead exact replicas, it's you who is refusing to engage, not me.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 am

Certainly someone out there in Elvisland knows whether the item(s) he wore in the '68 Special saw further use later? I gotta believe he did based on what I've seen here, but if he did ask Belew for more-expensive items later, I'd like to know that, as well.

Seems a bit far-fetched to think Elvis Presley might wear something he didn't like because of someone else's budget, though.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Thanks James - great pics! Must have been great to be there.

I've been there more than a few times, many when I won't even go in. I'll be there next week, not sure I'm going to go in but would like to see the Hawaii exhibit.

Just thought I'd mention that last week while at Graceland for Scotty's interview I tried to get in to see the Hawaii Exhibit. I felt like Jack Nicholson trying to order toast in "Five Easy Pieces." The Exhibit is not the type of thing that you can just go see. Its an extra limited time exhibit that you can see if you take the other tours even though it stands alone somewhere in the side plaza. They had no idea how to charge me for just that. The mansion is $33 alone, $37 if you get the other museums. I suggested then that they just charge me $4 and I wouldn't got to the mansion or the other museums but they said they couldn't do that. Finally i just gave up and walked away.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:39 pm

DarrylMac you are indeed correct about it being the same jacket. The company that Belew used to make all of Elvis' wardrobe he designed (I.C. Costume Co.) used two different labels in their clothing during the years they were in business. In 1968 when Elvis' wardrobe was designed and made the label they were using was "International Costume Company." (This label can be seen in the black velvet jacket displayed in "Elvis fashion.") A year later they changed their label and name to "I.C. Costume Co." All of Elvis' wardrobe from the 68 special was indeed taken home with him after the taping finished. This information is straight from Ciro Romano who virtually tailored all of Elvis' clothes for this company starting for the special until the end. Knowing Ciro and having many discussions with him in regards to Elvis' clothing confirms your belief.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks so much for the additional information, Its A Matter Of Time! I really appreciate you taking the time to help to confirm what common sense tells us was the case. There was never a doubt in my mind that the clothes in the photos posted by myself and others here were indeed the same ones made for, and worn in the 68 special.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:17 pm

It's a matter of Time wrote:... In 1968 when Elvis' wardrobe was designed and made the label they were using was "International Costume Company." (This label can be seen in the black velvet jacket displayed in "Elvis fashion.") A year later they changed their label and name to "I.C. Costume Co."

Interesting detail and new information for me :o

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:13 am

It's a matter of Time wrote:DarrylMac you are indeed correct about it being the same jacket. The company that Belew used to make all of Elvis' wardrobe he designed (I.C. Costume Co.) used two different labels in their clothing during the years they were in business. In 1968 when Elvis' wardrobe was designed and made the label they were using was "International Costume Company." (This label can be seen in the black velvet jacket displayed in "Elvis fashion.") A year later they changed their label and name to "I.C. Costume Co." All of Elvis' wardrobe from the 68 special was indeed taken home with him after the taping finished. This information is straight from Ciro Romano who virtually tailored all of Elvis' clothes for this company starting for the special until the end. Knowing Ciro and having many discussions with him in regards to Elvis' clothing confirms your belief.

Bloody brilliant information ::rocks

Somehow the Doc will discredit you with some piffle, no doubt, tick tock, tick tock....