Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Is there a chance this jacket is from the 68 comeback?

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:16 am

I'm not sure photo I posted in the car WAS taken before June 68. In the other pics I have in a book, his sideburns are long enough for it to have been taken afterwards, and we know he was wearing the "pork pie" style hat all through 1968.

You make no mention of the photo I posted of the white jacket he's wearing - double breasted, wide lapelled in a very similar style to the If I Can Dream suit.

Equally, and I'm only posting this as food for thought, but who's to say all of the clothes worn in the special were created specifically for it? After all, the black leather wrist bands Elvis wore through the special were pre-existing - he'd been wearing them for a while. While we know the black leather suit was a special item created by Bill Belew, what if some of the wardrobe was Elvis own? As I say, I'm not saying that was the case, but is it impossible?

Here's another pic in the red suit in the car - looks like it could be after June 68 to me. Any thoughts on the white suit jacket Doc - that photo is certainly after June 68.

Red Jacket 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DarrylMac on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 am

DarrylMac wrote:I'm not sure photo I posted in the car WAS taken before June 68. In the other pics I have in a book, his sideburns are long enough for it to have been taken afterwards, and we know he was wearing the "pork pie" style hat all through 1968.

You make no mention of the photo I posted of the white jacket he's wearing - double breasted, wide lapelled in a very similar style to the If I Can Dream suit.

Equally, and I'm only posting this as food for thought, but who's to say all of the clothes worn in the special were created specifically for it? After all, the black leather wrist bands Elvis wore through the special were pre-existing - he'd been wearing them for a while. While we know the black leather suit was a special item created by Bill Belew, what if some of the wardrobe was Elvis own? As I say, I'm not saying that was the case, but is it impossible?

You changed your post to add the second photo from November while I was composing my reply to your original statement. It is difficult to see anything in it, but other photos make it clear it's not from the TV program. The original photo you posted was taken circa June 17-28, 1968, at the 1174 Hillcrest Road driveway in Beverly Hills.

The 1968 TV Special clearly credits who was in charge of clothing:

601203_Singer Special_Belew credit.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 am

I've just added another photo above Doc...

other photos make it clear it's not from the TV program.

Would you mind sharing the other photos from the same date with the white suit jacket, and explain the differences in the jackets to me? I've messed about with the photo, brightness etc, just so we can a little more detail. Again, i'm not saying it's definitely the same jacket, but it's certainly the same style / design.

68 Special Suit.jpg

Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:54 am

Here's a few shots of some of the others
The reddish one doesn't look the same as the one he's wearing with the hat. The white one looks a lot like it but hard to tell about the top of the lapel.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:41 am

Here's my argument on the jacket situation. If you look at the 2 photos that James supplied here that have the 68 items, here is my question. Why is the "If I Can Dream" suit on display and the "Red" suit jacket on display, and the "Black Leather Jacket" is on display all for the 68 Special, but the "Crush Velvet" suit is not included?

The Reason Being-->
Elvis wore this jacket at 2 major times in career.
1: At The NBC Singer TV Special
2: At The White House Meeting With President Nixon

Graceland has decided that the White House Visit was more important of the 2 for the jacket since there were already items available for the TV Special display. Therefore they decided to use the Crush Velvet jacket with the White House display.

If these were indeed 2 different jackets, why then is there not a "Crush Velvet Jacket" on display for the Singer Special since the other items are indeed there?

Conclusion:
The 2 jackets in question - are one in the same.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:44 am

This looks like If I Can Dream suit to me.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 pm

The fool wrote:This looks like If I Can Dream suit to me.

It is in fact identical all the way down to the slanted pockets.
Elvis could indeed have had Bill Belew make him an identical replacement.. but the question is - why would he want an identical that would relate to the Singer Special ?
I don't think he did, he just liked those original suits and I believe they were his personal made items to start with Singer Special or not.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Elvis wore the Aloha Eagle suit for one of the biggest events in his career, and was yet another broadcast TV Special, and again he continued to wear it afterwards.

Lamar Fike once said, when Elvis liked something he stayed with it till he was burnt out, if loved a certain brand of cigar he would just about suck the tobacco out of it. He had a very addictive personality.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm

promiseland wrote:Elvis wore the Aloha Eagle suit for one of the biggest events in his career, and was yet another broadcast TV Special, and again he continued to wear it afterwards.

I don't recall a single photo after January 14, 1973 of Elvis visiting a dignitary in his spare time, or taking a private plane flight, while wearing the "Aloha" suit.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 pm

DarrylMac wrote:... it's certainly the same style / design.

Right. That's my point.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:Elvis wore the Aloha Eagle suit for one of the biggest events in his career, and was yet another broadcast TV Special, and again he continued to wear it afterwards.

I don't recall a single photo after January 14, 1973 of Elvis visiting a dignitary in his spare time, or taking a private plane flight, while wearing the "Aloha" suit.

I didn't mean casual, after all it was a stage costume, but he did wear it later at less important concert events even though it typecast him to that major event - a costume that was made specifically for the Aloha event.

The Singer attire was a fitted style for such public relations use, more so than a jumpsuit.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks The Fool - that looks to be taken on the same evening, and I agree it's the same suit. Promised Land / James - thanks for your input too!

I'd suggest we now have the evidence The Doc was seeking in proving Elvis wore clothes used in the 68 special after the fliming. Of course, whether The Doc will accept this is a different matter. That was his main reason for debating whether the Nixon jacket is the same one as the 68 special jacket, so with that oibjection removed, there should be no more argument!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:59 pm

I have no problem believing he took home the coolest clothes that were ever designed for him and wore it in private. The pics in the red suit is obviously taken after the special, as his sideburns are somewhat longer and different shaped. It's dated September 11 in Elvis Files and that seems very plausible to me. Othet than that I support DarrylMac and promiselands points in this thread.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:00 pm

promiseland wrote:Elvis wore the Aloha Eagle suit for one of the biggest events in his career, and was yet another broadcast TV Special, and again he continued to wear it afterwards

That’s not correct. Elvis never wore the suit from January 14th, 1973 again. The suit that he wore for the Aloha rehearsal show was however worn again in both 1973 & 1974.

Elvis wore the white “If I Can Dream” suit in October 1968, at the very least and the red “Gospel sequence” suit in Nov and Dec 1968. I have no doubt at all that the black jacket that Elvis wears over his “Black Herringbone Suit” when at the Whitehouse in December, 1970 is the jacket Elvis wears during the NBC TV Special “Nightclub scene”.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:07 pm

If you ask a elvis if elvis ever worn a jumpsuit to a local car dealer they would say are you crazy... or wearing a 69 stage suit to the president in a jacket from the 68 comeback... they possibly walk away... in my opinion it all happend... look in the book behind the image 1 and you will find more pictures of elvis wearing a stage suit around his house in 68.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Erik van den Berg wrote:If you ask a elvis if elvis ever worn a jumpsuit to a local car dealer they would say are you crazy... or wearing a 69 stage suit to the president in a jacket from the 68 comeback... they possibly walk away... in my opinion it all happend... look in the book behind the image 1 and you will find more pictures of elvis wearing a stage suit around his house in 68.

I was just thinking about posting that picture from Madison Cadillac before you posted this. Now I think I will.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:23 pm

DarrylMac wrote:I'd suggest we now have the evidence The Doc was seeking in proving Elvis wore clothes used in the 68 special after the fliming.

I've seen nothing that disproves my suggestion Elvis was never seen wearing the actual clothing Bill Belew designed for the videotaping of the NBC special, after June 1968. But you have fun.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 pm

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... car75.html
A jumpsuit shopping in memphis

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... vegas.html
A leather stage suit going out in vegas

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:17 pm

I've seen nothing that disproves my suggestion Elvis was never seen wearing the actual clothing Bill Belew designed for the videotaping of the NBC special, after June 1968. But you have fun.

Seriously? You don't recognise that Elvis is clearly wearing the white suit from If I Can Dream in the photos that I and The Fool posted? In that case, you're so closed minded that there's no point entering in to any further discussion with you on this. Let me guess, you think Elvis had Bill Belew make three identical suits, as the original clothes used for the videotaping were somehow used once and locked away somewhere for their historical importance?

It's an approach like this Doc that totally discredits you, which is a shame. It's the Bobby Dick scenario all over again. You'd gain so much more good will on this board if every once in a while, you were able to say, "you know what, I can see you might have a point"...

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:I'd suggest we now have the evidence The Doc was seeking in proving Elvis wore clothes used in the 68 special after the fliming.

Elvis wore what ever he wanted. If he wanted to use 68 clothes, he did..
Last edited by sami928 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 am

DarrylMac wrote:That jacket seems to be a plastic pvc type material, rather than black leather, and is different in design, but does look similar Joe. He can also be seen wearing it in the footage we know after the opening night show in August 1970, seen at the end of the TTWII SE edition.

As for wearing clothes from the 68 special after it was shot, there are other examples, such as the dark purple suit from the Guitar Man production number. He wore the whole suit on at least on occasion, in photos showing him disambarking a plane with a torch, and again the jacket was certainly worn to meet President Nixon, whatever some may say.

Here's one of the pics from the Airport.

Airport 68 special suit.jpg

I will only discuss the pants. This is not properly "a suit." The pants are from the new "fur suit" he had made for the Jaycees event. The jacket does not match those pants, because the new jacket that he wore at another time during the festivities, does match the pants. These are the new pants.

As for the jacket, why not ask someone who was there?

rjm

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 am

DarrylMac wrote:

Seriously? You don't recognise that Elvis is clearly wearing the white suit from If I Can Dream in the photos that I and The Fool posted? In that case, you're so closed minded that there's no point entering in to any further discussion with you on this. Let me guess, you think Elvis had Bill Belew make three identical suits, as the original clothes used for the videotaping were somehow used once and locked away somewhere for their historical importance?

It's an approach like this Doc that totally discredits you, which is a shame. It's the Bobby Dick scenario all over again. You'd gain so much more good will on this board if every once in a while, you were able to say, "you know what, I can see you might have a point"...

Here's a thought: instead of choosing to be rude, condescending and accusatory, why not interact in a discussion like an adult?

I'll try one last time to impress upon you my point regarding this extremely crucial issue.

What your few photos show, beginning with the ones circa 1970-71, is that Elvis somewhat liked the costumes designed by Bill Belew in June 1968 and requested -- after the special -- that Belew make a few similar items for him to wear, most likely using more expensive and longer-lasting material.

Why more expensive? Because NBC-TV and Singer had a specific program budget; it is a fact they were so cheap they would not underwrite STEREO recording at Burbank, even when engineer Bones Howe begged them. Thus, Belew had to adhere to its constraints as much as anyone else.

In this 1982 interview with Country Rhythms magazine, Belew describes making clothing for Elvis to wear to Sonny West's 12-28-1970 wedding, with expensive material (fur that looks like velvet) that seems a match for those 1971 airport photos.

821000_Country Rhythms.JPG
Thank you to FECC's The fool for this article clip.

Again, nothing you have posted refutes the common sense notion Elvis is wearing similar -- not exact -- pieces from the TV special in the few candids we see on this topic. However, since this is something that has dominated your thinking for at least 4 years, I invite you to prove us all wrong with more than a few fuzzy photographs and a bunch of baseless declarations.

And, as always, have fun! ;-)

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 am

Doc, the black fur suit was a Christmas gift to Elvis from Priscilla, and has absolutely nothing to do with any of the clothing we're dicussing here. The jacket for that fur suit bears no resemblance to the jacket worn at the airport, in the photos I posted. You seem to be trying to confuse the issue, now talking of a suit that was made after the special, which is totally different to the clothing we're discussing.

Heres the fur suit you're referring to, seen here at George Kleins's wedding, much earlier in the month that Sonny Wests.

Fur Suit.jpg

I would also dispute Belew's comments about a cape - I'm not sure I've seen any photos of him wearing a cape in late 1970 at the time he was wearing the fur suit.

Finally, there's some debate over the date he was given the black fur suit, meaning he's wrong about it being made for Sonny' wedding. There's a photo of him in Paul's Candid Central wearing it on New Years Eve 1969, leading me to believe it was a Christmas present perhaps Xmas 69.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the clothes we're discussing from the 68 special. You mention you feel the clothes were cheaply made, hence Elvis MUST have asked for replicas to me made, yet the clothes survived without falling apart, and Bill Belew has been quoted as saying that the black leather suit was made from expensive glove leather, which would cling to the body, so he clearly had a good clothing budget to work with, esepcially for the star of his own special.

What your few photos show, beginning with the ones circa 1970-71, is that Elvis somewhat liked the costumes designed by Bill Belew in June 1968 and requested -- after the special -- that Belew make a few similar items for him to wear, most likely using more expensive and longer-lasting material.

Why not begin with the photos from late 1968 that show Elvis wearing clothes from the 68 special after it was taped, something you said wasn't possible? Why start with 1970-71, and then try to muddy the waters by referring to a fur suit that we all know was made later, and worn often though late 1970 - early 71?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:23 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:You drop terms like common and sense too loosely in this context. There are at least photos that support the belief and opinions that they are the same and nothing to support that they aren't. Given that they still are both only beliefs and opinions, which one do you really think is more "sensible" and/or common? That's rhetorical by the way, I already know your answer. The horse has been dead since 2009, we can stop beating it.

Very well said, James. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to believe Elvis would wear the same items from the '68 Special, and why such a discussion needs to lead to any condescending remarks. I understand it can be difficult to backpedal once you're "dug in" with an argument, but having a bit of flexibility would go a long way to continuing the discussion in an adult manner.

Ah, well.....doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, I suppose. Makes for fun reading......

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 pm

DarrylMac wrote:You mention you feel the clothes were cheaply made ... Why not begin with the photos from late 1968 that show Elvis wearing clothes from the 68 special after it was taped, something you said wasn't possible ...

I give up. I never made either of those specific declarations.

If you cannot carefully read what I write, there is no reason to have a discussion. You are already out of the game.