Post here your Elvis' pictures

Is there a chance this jacket is from the 68 comeback?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 127&type=1

If not, are there photos where he wore it after the 68 special? Thanks in advance.

Re: Is there a chance this jacket is from the 68 comeback?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 am

Joe Car wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=578279065557127&set=a.396867973698238.102447.396865750365127&type=1

If not, are there photos where he wore it after the 68 special? Thanks in advance.

No chance, it's a different jacket.

Why would Elvis have worn the leather jacket seen on the NBC-TV special after production ended?

Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=578279065557127&set=a.396867973698238.102447.396865750365127&type=1

No chance, it's a different jacket.

Why would Elvis have worn the leather jacket seen on the NBC-TV special after production ended?

I was thinking maybe he liked the jacket a lot. Either way, thanks for the clarification Doc.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 am

That jacket seems to be a plastic pvc type material, rather than black leather, and is different in design, but does look similar Joe. He can also be seen wearing it in the footage we know after the opening night show in August 1970, seen at the end of the TTWII SE edition.

As for wearing clothes from the 68 special after it was shot, there are other examples, such as the dark purple suit from the Guitar Man production number. He wore the whole suit on at least on occasion, in photos showing him disambarking a plane with a torch, and again the jacket was certainly worn to meet President Nixon, whatever some may say.

Here's one of the pics from the Airport.

Airport 68 special suit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 pm

DarrylMac wrote:That jacket seems to be a plastic pvc type material, rather than black leather, and is different in design, but does look similar Joe. He can also be seen wearing it in the footage we know after the opening night show in August 1970, seen at the end of the TTWII SE edition.

As for wearing clothes from the 68 special after it was shot, there are other examples, such as the dark purple suit from the Guitar Man production number. He wore the whole suit on at least on occasion, in photos showing him disambarking a plane with a torch, and again the jacket was certainly worn to meet President Nixon, whatever some may say.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:32 pm

DarrylMac wrote:That jacket seems to be a plastic pvc type material, rather than black leather, and is different in design, but does look similar Joe. He can also be seen wearing it in the footage we know after the opening night show in August 1970, seen at the end of the TTWII SE edition.

Great stuff DarrylMac! Nice to see you post.
JamesVRoy wrote:

Thanks James!!

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 pm

It's clearly not the same suit, although likely designed by the same man, Bill Belew.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's clearly not the same suit, although likely designed by the same man, Bill Belew.

On my most recent visit to Graceland the suit (as seen in the Elvis TV Special) is displayed with a description saying that Elvis wore the jacket on his visit with Nixon.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:50 am

IMO the suit by the visit of Nixon was dark blue and the Comeback has it in dark brown. But maybe I am wrong.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 am

Mr Whopitt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It's clearly not the same suit, although likely designed by the same man, Bill Belew.

On my most recent visit to Graceland the suit (as seen in the Elvis TV Special) is displayed with a description saying that Elvis wore the jacket on his visit with Nixon.

That's nice. Sadly, Graceland is not well-known for their pin-point accuracy identifying Elvis artifacts.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 pm

It's clearly not the same suit, although likely designed by the same man, Bill Belew.

It clearly IS the same suit, identical in every last detail, from the buttons, their location, the embroidery on the pockets / lapels etc. Every last detail. This is one where we're going to have to agree to disagree Doc. I've studied photos from every angle - it's the same in every way.

IMO the suit by the visit of Nixon was dark blue and the Comeback has it in dark brown. But maybe I am wrong.

It's a very deep purple, almost black, but the studio lighting can affect how it looks. It was never brown.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm

It looked very black when I took that picture, but it wasn't a detail I bothered to scrutinize at the time.

here's another i took another time.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 pm

DarrylMac wrote:

It clearly IS the same suit, identical in every last detail ...

You have fun with that. :D

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Tell you what Doc - instead of a "you have fun with that" can you offer me one shred of concrete proof it's a different suit. Show me one detail on the suit that's different, or a scanned receipt from Bill Belew from 1970 onwards for the second suit, maybe scans of the labels in each of the 2 suits. Anything you like that clearly demonstrates they're different.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 am

Here is a high res of the one I took in 2003

IMG_0923.JPG

and a few more through the glass from December of 2011 when I was in town for Scotty's party. The 2003 shot is the best light and shows the most natural colors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks James - great pics! Must have been great to be there.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 am

DarrylMac wrote:Thanks James - great pics! Must have been great to be there.

I've been there more than a few times, many when I won't even go in. I'll be there next week, not sure I'm going to go in but would like to see the Hawaii exhibit.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 am

DarrylMac wrote:Tell you what Doc - instead of a "you have fun with that" can you offer me one shred of concrete proof it's a different suit. Show me one detail on the suit that's different, or a scanned receipt from Bill Belew from 1970 onwards for the second suit, maybe scans of the labels in each of the 2 suits. Anything you like that clearly demonstrates they're different.

Use your common sense, and you'll have the answer to this crucial question. ;-)

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 am

We've been debating that issue since at least 2009, still no substantiation for the claims that they are different and only observation and belief that they are.
Without something more conclusive to dispute it, in this case I think common sense favors the opinion that they are the same. Like then though I've no more info than anyone else. In the larger scheme, what difference does it really make anyway?
http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49473

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 am

Use your common sense, and you'll have the answer to this crucial question.

No Doc - I asked for one bit of evidence you can provide. Show me that the buttons are a different design, that the jackets have a different lining, or are made from a differnet material. Find me a quote from Bill Below, or invoice that there were 2 identical suits. In the other thread James reposted (thanks James) I used several different photos / angles to show it clearly is the same jacket. The only difference is he has the lapels buttoned down in the 1970 / 71 photos, but you can clearly see in the 68 pics where the button holes are on the lapels.

I'll repeat again - identical in every conceivable detail. It's the same jacket. If your position is that Elvis wouldn't have been allowed to keep or re-use any items of clothing from the 68 special, then you're wrong.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Graceland has pretty much all of the clothes that Elvis wore in the 68 special on display. Its my understanding they went home with him. or the Colonel, like just about everything else he was involved with. Its possible that Elvis could have arranged to have another made though someone in the other thread alluded to a conversation from Bill Belew that implied he didn't. If however he had then there would be two, where is the other? Graceland only has and has ever displayed the one.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:We've been debating that issue since at least 2009, still no substantiation for the claims that they are different and only observation and belief that they are.

There's equally no substantiation for the claims that they are one and the same, only observation and belief that they are.

Here's a common sense thought for today:

Assuming Elvis took home on June 30, 1968 the clothing Bill Belew designed for the NBC program, which is unlikely, there are exactly ZERO photographs since of him wearing anything we see on the program, save the "evidence" above.

Common sense would indicate photos would exist of him wearing something clearly from this cache between July 1968 and December 1970, but we have none. Yet, suddenly, in the winter of 1970, he pulls one of these 1968 items out and starts wearing it? The idea is absurd.

What is much more likely is Presley had Belew create something of a similar design, in a more expensive fur or corduroy material, to wear two years later.

Again, use your common sense. It is an asset. ;-)

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:We've been debating that issue since at least 2009, still no substantiation for the claims that they are different and only observation and belief that they are.

There's equally no substantiation for the claims that they are one and the same, only observation and belief that they are.
Yes, I said that.

Here's a common sense thought for today:

Assuming Elvis took home on June 30, 1968 the clothing Bill Belew designed for the NBC program, which is unlikely, there are exactly ZERO photographs since of him wearing anything we see on the program, save the "evidence" above.

Common sense would indicate photos would exist of him wearing something clearly from this cache between July 1968 and December 1970, but we have none. Yet, suddenly, in the winter of 1970, he pulls one of these 1968 items out and starts wearing it? The idea is absurd.

What is much more likely is Presley had Belew create something of a similar design, in a more expensive fur or corduroy material, to wear two years later.

Again, use your common sense. It is an asset. ;-)

You drop terms like common and sense too loosely in this context. There are at least photos that support the belief and opinions that they are the same and nothing to support that they aren't. Given that they still are both only beliefs and opinions, which one do you really think is more "sensible" and/or common? That's rhetorical by the way, I already know your answer. The horse has been dead since 2009, we can stop beating it.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:52 am

As it happens, there are some photos of Elvis signing autographs in his car, wearing a black hat, wearing what could very well be the brownish red suit from the gospel medley sequence. I can't find the better quality ones I mean, but here's a starter.

Red Suit.jpg

Equally, here's a photo of Elvis clearly wearing a white double breasted suit jacket with white buttons - apologies for the clarity of the photo - could this be the white suit jacket worn for If I Can Dream? Can we say with any confidence it isn't? It's the same style for sure.

68 Special Suit.jpg

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:08 am

DarrylMac wrote:

As it happens, there are some photos of Elvis signing autographs in his car, wearing a black hat, wearing what could very well be the brownish red suit from the gospel medley sequence. I can't find the better quality ones I mean, but here's a starter.

Red Suit.jpg

Is this a suit from the program? Perhaps, perhaps not. However, the photograph was apparently taken before the gospel medley was done at NBC on Friday, June 28, 1968. If you mean to suggest Elvis took the gospel suit home and was wearing it prior to taping the segment, that is beyond absurd. And it does nothing to disprove the fact that we see ZERO examples of Elvis wearing anything from the TV special after June 30, 1968.

Common sense. It's a starter. ;-)