Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Denver '76

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:There were only 4 singers noted at the funeral. Maybe Baize didn't make it.

Nope - JD says Larry was driving the bus to their next date, where the other four who sang at the funeral would be flown back to meet him. It's all perfectly reasonable, and explained very clearly by JD Sumner, as you have still yet to acknowledge.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:19 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376648298.181167.jpg

From the book of Bob Cantwell. He also mentions JD as being there singing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:Image

From the book of Bob Cantwell. He also mentions JD as being there singing.

Actually, no, he does not. What is written is different, and quite generic:

"JD Summer [sic] and the Stamps gospel group sang hymns at the funeral ..."

Bob Cantwell saw four gospel singers at the funeral, and he is clearly unfamiliar with them ("JD Summer"?).

It is doubtful he knew JD from DJ.

Again, it is a great shame not a single photo of Sumner from this date and location is available to us.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:17 pm

ImageImage

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:22 pm

paulsweeney wrote:ImageImage

Those are wonderful photos. It's as if, for a moment, Elvis found a place where he belonged in a society that more often than not shunned him ("a freak" as he himself often said).

Too bad there are none with JD Summer. ;-)

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:23 pm

ImageImage

Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:24 pm

And two from earlier in January 1976ImageImage

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Those are wonderful photos. It's as if, for a moment, Elvis found a place where he belonged in a society that more often than not shunned him ("a freak" as he himself often said).

Also from the book:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376765703.475119.jpg

Still, no photo proof, but a clue indeed. Bob Cantwell did know JD. He also mentions him earlier in the book.

Did you like the book Paul?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Yes, I do like the book. I am reading it now and I was just going to post the JD reference from page 102!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:54 pm

Good ol' JD Summer!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:31 am

paulsweeney wrote:Yes, I do like the book. I am reading it now and I was just going to post the JD reference from page 102!

It's a nice read indeed. Now let's hope the other two Denver cops will write a book too. Cantwell states that they spend even more time with Elvis, so more insight in this whole Denver connection would be great!

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:00 am

Lexie1973 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Also from the book:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376765703.475119.jpg

Still, no photo proof, but a clue indeed. Bob Cantwell did know JD. He also mentions him earlier in the book.

Did you like the book Paul?

My Great Grandfather's farm was on the land that the Regency Hotel (now student housing) now stands. It is where my grandmother grew up. My Great Aunt took the property after my Great Grandpa died and she sold the house and land to the Regency.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

"Dr John" - you should be a politician - you completely ignore the main comment in any of this topic that JD Sumner said he was there himself. Until you actually address this I would suggest you refrain from writing in this topic at all. Have the decency and humility to accept when you may have been wrong and maybe people wouldn't think you are such a plonker. You obviously have a lot of very interesting things to say about Elvis, but your knowledge shouldn't define you as a person. Therefore if you make a mistake or quite realistically cannot know everything because you weren't there, don't react as if it is chipping away at your very core.

This was a really cool topic, kind of hijacked by you in a troll-like manner. It is completely unnecessary.

Back to the actual topic and not the hijacking of it, I get the sense that most people on here, when they see these pics, really feel bittersweet about them. Here was Elvis apparently enjoying himself, looking pretty decent etc at a time leading up to the saddest and sorriest times of his life, and ultimately his death. Perhaps if Elvis had ventured out more with a variety of genuine people, seen more of 'real' everyday life, he may have been happier and not descended into addiction and depression and may even still be here today. That is certainly how I am thinking anyway.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote:Im not catholic.However I did attend a private catholic school for a couple of years.I attended several funerals while there.It was mandatory.You never saw a photo taken.I've attended other catholic funeral services as an adult. You never see a photo taken.The funeral mass is not disturbed by picture taking.At least the ones I have been present at.I was brought up southern Baptist.It's a different story there.People take all the pictures they want.Nothing off limits.It would be unusual not to see photo's being taken.

At my mother's Catholic funeral we took some photos after the mass.

I'm sure you'll cherish such grossly disrespectful photos of that very sad day for the rest of your life.

Man, you're sick ...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:37 pm

stedders wrote:"Dr John" - you should be a politician - you completely ignore the main comment in any of this topic that JD Sumner said he was there himself. Until you actually address this I would suggest you refrain from writing in this topic at all. Have the decency and humility to accept when you may have been wrong and maybe people wouldn't think you are such a plonker. You obviously have a lot of very interesting things to say about Elvis, but your knowledge shouldn't define you as a person. Therefore if you make a mistake or quite realistically cannot know everything because you weren't there, don't react as if it is chipping away at your very core.

This was a really cool topic, kind of hijacked by you in a troll-like manner. It is completely unnecessary.

Back to the actual topic and not the hijacking of it, I get the sense that most people on here, when they see these pics, really feel bittersweet about them. Here was Elvis apparently enjoying himself, looking pretty decent etc at a time leading up to the saddest and sorriest times of his life, and ultimately his death. Perhaps if Elvis had ventured out more with a variety of genuine people, seen more of 'real' everyday life, he may have been happier and not descended into addiction and depression and may even still be here today. That is certainly how I am thinking anyway.

Ah, a breathe of fresh air !

2 posts and this newcomer has "Doc" pegged to a tee.

Another good thread ruined by such immature, idiotic behavior from our self proclaimed "scholar".

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:18 pm

minkahed wrote:
stedders wrote:"Dr John" - you should be a politician - you completely ignore the main comment in any of this topic that JD Sumner said he was there himself. Until you actually address this I would suggest you refrain from writing in this topic at all. Have the decency and humility to accept when you may have been wrong and maybe people wouldn't think you are such a plonker. You obviously have a lot of very interesting things to say about Elvis, but your knowledge shouldn't define you as a person. Therefore if you make a mistake or quite realistically cannot know everything because you weren't there, don't react as if it is chipping away at your very core.

Another good thread ruined by such immature, idiotic behavior from our self proclaimed "scholar".

From everything I've heard, Elvis was happy and really enjoying himself during his time in Denver, so much so that he seriously was wanting to move here. Kennedy and Pietrafeso took him house hunting and he landed on a couple of cool ones but the neighborhoods didn't want him. Jerry Kennedy is a hell of a guy, a very down to earth man's man but also a good family man. I can see why Elvis liked him and maybe had Elvis spent more time with people like him, he would have really seen the trouble he was in and sought help. I think he was craving a change.

One of the houses Elvis wanted to buy in Colorado:

http://www.sundancechannel.com/blog/201 ... oreclosure

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 pm

A little bit of wumming going on in this thread.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 pm

daylon wrote:A little bit of wumming going on in this thread.

So nice of you to chime in ...

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:16 pm

You got that right. And from "new" members. It just never ends. ;-)

Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

You got that right. And from "new" members. It just never ends. ;-)

Ironic statement since it's YOU that most people have a "wumming" issue with.

Just go back to be the humble, kind person I know you are, (we don't want you to be what you were, we want you to be who you can be and had been), and you will see, the respect and gratitude towards you will return.

Love ya man !

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:41 am

Like I said ...

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:53 am

So who else has read the book? Thoughts?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am

minkahed wrote:

Thanks. I am a new member in terms of posting, although I do read on here a fair bit. I see "Dr John" still refuses to acknowledge that JD Sumner himself said he was there. It's quite funny really!

I don't know what 'wumming' is, speak English people! ;)

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:08 pm

paulsweeney wrote:So who else has read the book? Thoughts?

Finished it this weekend. Nice read. Not a very in-depth look into Elvis but still enjoyable to read. It does seem Elvis felt like a normal person around these police officers. Still it's strange that these narcs never ever saw any signs of Elvis' abuse of pills. But mr. Cantwell comes over as sincere in his book when saying he never noticed anything really concerning.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 am

thanks for the scans Paul, Elvis looks OK on these.
I think most level-headed people would now concede that J.D. and Bill's personal comments mean that J.D. probably was there.