Post here your Elvis' pictures

Denver '76

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 pm

E in a fireman's uniform. Denver, Colorado. January 28th, 1976.

Re: Denver '76

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 pm

New for me. Thank you.

It was a nice gesture from Elvis to wear a police uniform for the funeral.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50 am

New for me! Thanks!!!

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 am

TCB-FAN wrote:E in a fireman's uniform. Denver, Colorado. January 28th, 1976.

I'd not take Facebook comments as legit. He's not in a fireman's uniform, but a Denver policeman's outfit. It's also unclear if the date is 1-28-1976, or whether he's in Denver or Vail.

And those images were posted on FECC by me, on a topic by elvisjock, last August.

elvis week - black diamond 1.jpg

elvis week - black diamond 2.jpg

What it's all about is that Elvis got a new ring with a black diamond in it from Robert Kortz.

elvisjock wrote:Here's an Elvis Week treat. A nice story, and a couple of unpublished photos.

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/08/bob_kortz_elvis_black_diamond.php

Elvis, Vail and a Black Diamond
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71472

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:30 am

Elvis in Denver on Wednesday January 28, 1976 for the funeral of Eugene Kennedy (Captain Jerry Kennedy's brother). Elvis knew the funeral would be filled with police officers so he dressed the part and fit right in so not to take the attention away from what was going on. He also paid for the entire funeral

Thanks to Doc for the newspaper article

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... s0176.html

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 am

Thanks for this, never seen these photo's.

Elvis looked so much better at the end off stage in clothes that were not a one piece jumpsuit. Also dig the Change Of Habbit haircut.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:17 am

So where did those photos come from? I first saw those photos in 1976 when at my Dad's friend's house who was a Denver police detective and a very good friend of Jerry Kennedy and Ron Pietrafeso. Yes, that is not a fireman's uniform but a custom made, double breasted police uniform Elvis had special made for himself. The picture was taken in Denver.

The funeral for Jerry Kennedy's brother took place at Holy Family Catholic Church in North Denver. Elvis also flew in JD and the Stamps for the funeral. Elvis visited the church which also has a high school a few days before the funeral wearing a white suit with a white cape. He caused quite a commotion with the high school students the day he visited. My friend was a student there and saw him as he arrived and went in to talk to the priest about arrangements for the funeral. Students were hanging out the windows to get a good look at him and he acknowledged them. My friend called me up all out of breath when he got home from school. We didn't have our licenses yet so his Mom drove us back there but Elvis had already left. Had we known what was up with the funeral we would have gone to it.

Later in the summer of 77, the church raffled off the pew Elvis sat in along with the blue with silver phoenix jumpsuit that Elvis donated to the church.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 am

eligain wrote:So where did those photos come from? I first saw those photos in 1976 when at my Dad's friend's house who was a Denver police detective and a very good friend of Jerry Kennedy and Ron Pietrafeso. Yes, that is not a fireman's uniform but a custom made, double breasted police uniform Elvis had special made for himself. The picture was taken in Denver.

The funeral for Jerry Kennedy's brother took place at Holy Family Catholic Church in North Denver. Elvis also flew in JD and the Stamps for the funeral. Elvis visited the church which also has a high school a few days before the funeral wearing a white suit with a white cape. He caused quite a commotion with the high school students the day he visited. My friend was a student there and saw him as he arrived and went in to talk to the priest about arrangements for the funeral. Students were hanging out the windows to get a good look at him and he acknowledged them. My friend called me up all out of breath when he got home from school. We didn't have our licenses yet so his Mom drove us back there but Elvis had already left. Had we known what was up with the funeral we would have gone to it.

Later in the summer of 77, the church raffled off the pew Elvis sat in along with the blue with silver phoenix jumpsuit that Elvis donated to the church.

Your information on the Denver funeral is somewhat incorrect. J.D. Sumner was not there.

Elvis brought "four gospel singers" who performed at the service. They were the current edition of Stamps Quartet (Bill Baize, Ed Enoch, Ed Hill and Larry Strickland). All four were at Graceland for his first RCA recording session five days later, on Monday, February 2, in the "Jungle Room."

Denver Police Captain Jerry Kennedy, "Captain" Elvis Presley and Police Chief Art Dill
Funeral of Detective Eugene Kennedy, Denver, CO - Wednesday, January 28, 1976

Elvis' visit made the national press:

St. Joseph News-Press, Thursday, January 29, 1976

The part about a visit to the church a few days earlier sounds a bit far-fetched. Surely the above article would have given it a mention.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 am

From Peter Guralnick's Careless Love, page 593 Doc - "Elvis flew out to the funeral. In addition, he arranged for JD Sumner and the Stamps to sing at the service, which he himself attended wearing the Denver police captains uniform that his friends on the force had given him."

Do you have evidence that JD wasn't present - was he performing elsewhere that night, or is there a mention from one of the other stamps that he wasn't there?

All four were at Graceland for his first RCA recording session five days later, on Monday, February 2, in the "Jungle Room."

As was JD Sumner....

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:So where did those photos come from? I first saw those photos in 1976 when at my Dad's friend's house who was a Denver police detective and a very good friend of Jerry Kennedy and Ron Pietrafeso. Yes, that is not a fireman's uniform but a custom made, double breasted police uniform Elvis had special made for himself. The picture was taken in Denver.

Your information on the Denver funeral is somewhat incorrect. J.D. Sumner was not there.

Elvis brought "four gospel singers" who performed at the service. They were the current edition of Stamps Quartet (Bill Baize, Ed Enoch, Ed Hill and Larry Strickland). All four were at Graceland for his first RCA recording session five days later, on Monday, February 2, in the "Jungle Room."

Denver Police Captain Jerry Kennedy, "Captain" Elvis Presley and Police Chief Art Dill
Funeral of Detective Eugene Kennedy, Denver, CO - Wednesday, January 28, 1976

Elvis' visit made the national press:

St. Joseph News-Press, Thursday, January 29, 1976

The part about a visit to the church a few days earlier sounds a bit far-fetched. Surely the above article would have given it a mention.

Sorry, but the part about the visit a few days earlier is not far fetched. I personally know several who saw it including my friend who called me the day it happened. This included not just students but a church secretary who my Aunt knew. Just because things aren't mentioned in newspaper articles doesn't mean they didn't happen. There was an article in the Denver Catholic Register in the summer of 77 when they raffled off the jumpsuit at the church bazaar. It had an interview with the priest who met with Elvis a few days before the funeral and talked with him about God and religion.

It's just like, in the articles and news stories about Elvis's trip to Denver and Colorado, they never mention Elvis visiting an Italian restaurant in Arvada Colorado and getting into a flour fight in the kitchen while making pizzas. Ron Pietrafeso's relative (a sister or a cousin) owned a little Italian restaurant called La Treve' (If I remember the name correctly) in a strip mall in a Denver suburb; Arvada which is close to where I lived at the time. Ron Pietrafeso took Elvis there after hours and Elvis ate 2 of these giant sausage cannolis (like calzones). At some point they went into the kitchen and they were teaching Elvis how to make pizzas and Elvis got into a flour fight like a little kid.

As far as JD Sumner being there or not being there, I don't know. I just said JD and The Stamps because that is the name they go by. Jerry Kennedy did mention to us how the bass singer rattled the rafters during low notes but that could have been Larry Strickland.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 pm

I can only assume that, in describing Elvis as wearing a fireman's uniform, TCB-FAN misinterpreted Trevor Cajiao's sense of humour over at ETM&HM's FB page.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:29 pm

It's interesting that in the new book about Elvis relationship with the Denver police, JD Sumner is specifically mentioned as being in attendance at the funeral.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:39 am

DarrylMac wrote:It's interesting that in the new book about Elvis relationship with the Denver police, JD Sumner is specifically mentioned as being in attendance at the funeral.

It's more likely that Sgt. Cantwell mistook Larry Strickland's legendary bass vocals at the service as belonging to J.D. Sumner. Obviously, there are no photos, or I am sure you would have posted same, with bold print for Sumner's credit.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:54 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:It's interesting that in the new book about Elvis relationship with the Denver police, JD Sumner is specifically mentioned as being in attendance at the funeral.

It's more likely that Sgt. Cantwell mistook Larry Strickland's legendary bass vocals at the service as belonging to J.D. Sumner. Obviously, there are no photos, or I am sure you would have posted same, with bold print for Sumner's credit.

Cantwell and his colleagues were invited to Graceland, during preparations for the February recording session. He recalls talking with Sumner. JD "taught" him how to sing bass, by cupping his hand over his ear.

It is possible that JD accompanied the Stamps to the funeral, but did not sing. That would jibe with the account of the four singers. Sumner played the star game. Recall that at the opening of the Elvis shows he only sang at the end of the set. I'm inclined to believe he was there.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:14 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Cantwell and his colleagues were invited to Graceland, during preparations for the February recording session. He recalls talking with Sumner. JD "taught" him how to sing bass, by cupping his hand over his ear.

It is possible that JD accompanied the Stamps to the funeral, but did not sing. That would jibe with the account of the four singers. Sumner played the star game. Recall that at the opening of the Elvis shows he only sang at the end of the set. I'm inclined to believe he was there.

And J.D. wouldn't get up in front of everyone at the service to take all the bass solos? It seems unlikely he would turn his "star" off like that. The report says four singers, and unless photos show Sumner there at the funeral it's probably just the Stamps, as noted above.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

And J.D. wouldn't get up in front of everyone at the service to take all the bass solos? It seems unlikely he would turn his "star" off like that. The report says four singers, and unless photos show Sumner there at the funeral it's probably just the Stamps, as noted above.

You don't take photos in or at a Catholic funeral. I am going to try to contact a couple of people I know who were at the funeral. They are Elvis fans and know who JD was and wouldn't have mixed him up with Larry Strickland. They will know if JD was there. I remember Jerry Kennedy telling us that JD's bass rattled the rafters at the funeral.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:45 am

Seems that JD was there:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78340&start=50#p1199904

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks TJ - I've commented over in the other thread - your help is much appreciated.

JD himself, funeral attendees and Guralnik all have JD in attendance, against one newspaper report that says "4 singers", and at no point says one of those 4 singers wasn't JD Sumner.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:59 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Thanks TJ - I've commented over in the other thread - your help is much appreciated.

JD himself, funeral attendees and Guralnik all have JD in attendance, against one newspaper report that says "4 singers", and at no point says one of those 4 singers wasn't JD Sumner.

OK, so I talked to one of the people I know who was at the funeral and she says JD was there so that's 4 sources that say he was there.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:53 am

eligain wrote:You don't take photos in or at a Catholic funeral. I am going to try to contact a couple of people I know who were at the funeral. They are Elvis fans and know who JD was and wouldn't have mixed him up with Larry Strickland. They will know if JD was there. I remember Jerry Kennedy telling us that JD's bass rattled the rafters at the funeral.

Both John and Robert Kennedy's Catholic funerals were photographed AND televised. Did God bend the rules for them?

Please let us know exactly who you contact, and what was their connection to this event, as anonymous sources aren't worth too much. Digging up a photograph or two would certainly be definitive, though I suspect we will see nothing but more heresay on this subject.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:You don't take photos in or at a Catholic funeral. I am going to try to contact a couple of people I know who were at the funeral. They are Elvis fans and know who JD was and wouldn't have mixed him up with Larry Strickland. They will know if JD was there. I remember Jerry Kennedy telling us that JD's bass rattled the rafters at the funeral.

Both John and Robert Kennedy's Catholic funerals were photographed AND televised. Did God bend the rules for them?

Please let us know exactly who you contact, and what was their connection to this event, as anonymous sources aren't worth too much. Digging up a photograph or two would certainly be definitive, though I suspect we will see nothing but more heresay on this subject.

You are talking about the President and his senator and presidential candidate brother! That is the most ridicules example I have ever heard. It has nothing to do with God's rules. It has to do with dignity and respect! Unfortunately, I have been to several Catholic funerals (many in this same church) and I have never seen anyone ever take a picture ever! There wasn't any photos of the funeral taken so no photos will be "dug up". Like has been said. Most in attendance didn't know Elvis was even there until after the fact. The person I talked to is Milli Zarlengo, a good friend of Jerry Kennedy and his family and a friend of my Aunt.. So not anonymous but still hearsay to you.

There are a lot of things we know and have heard about Elvis that can be classified as hearsay yet you and most others believe they are true. Just because one newspaper from nowhere near Denver said four gospel singers, it is taken as total fact yet sources who where actually there including actual principals are regarded as just hearsay.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Digging up a photograph or two would certainly be definitive, though I suspect we will see nothing but more heresay on this subject.

Have you listened to JD's own comments on having been there, as posted by TJ over in the other thread? That's not just hearsay, that's first hand testimony from the man himself! He even explains why only 4 singers were at the funeral - Larry Strickalnd had to stay behind to drive / take care of the bus!

Just in case you missed the link:

http://jdsumner.elvis.com.au/#sthash.nC70wVJ8.0iuP7ugn.dpbs

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 pm

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Both John and Robert Kennedy's Catholic funerals were photographed AND televised. Did God bend the rules for them?

You are talking about the President and his senator and presidential candidate brother! That is the most ridicules example I have ever heard. It has nothing to do with God's rules. It has to do with dignity and respect! Unfortunately, I have been to several Catholic funerals (many in this same church) and I have never seen anyone ever take a picture ever! There wasn't any photos of the funeral taken so no photos will be "dug up". Like has been said. Most in attendance didn't know Elvis was even there until after the fact. The person I talked to is Milli Zarlengo, a good friend of Jerry Kennedy and his family and a friend of my Aunt.. So not anonymous but still hearsay to you.

There are a lot of things we know and have heard about Elvis that can be classified as hearsay yet you and most others believe they are true. Just because one newspaper from nowhere near Denver said four gospel singers, it is taken as total fact yet sources who where actually there including actual principals are regarded as just hearsay.

The Kennedy examples were a simple and easy way to disprove your statement about such things. It was not at all "ridiculous," but rather quite appropriate. Furthermore, I've participated in Catholic funerals, and have seen photos taken before and after them.

The newspaper in question was running a United Press International story, it was not "one newspaper from nowhere near Denver," it ran all over the U.S.

It's a shame there are no photos to verify this sub-topic discussion about the great J.D. Sumner's whereabouts on this day.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 am

Doc - still no comment about JD himself saying he was there, and explaining the absence of Larry Strickland?

in 99% of circumstances, I'm sure including the funeral of a respected police officer, taking photos of a funeral would be considered in very poor taste.

The newspaper in question was running a United Press International story, it was not "one newspaper from nowhere near Denver," it ran all over the U.S.

And the newspaper concerned only said that 4 singers attended which JD HIMSELF confirms in the interview!

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:56 am

"Boys, break out the telephones and a fifth of whiskey."

John Daniel Sumner - July, 1973.