Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Elvis got his first car for his 18th birthday from his parents, but i've only seen this one picture of it and there's not much history to gi with it either. Does anyone know any more info, stories or pictures of it? Or most interesting, does anybody know if it still excists?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:06 pm

ElvisNor wrote:Elvis got his first car for his 18th birthday from his parents, but i've only seen this one picture of it and there's not much history to gi with it either. Does anyone know any more info, stories or pictures of it? Or most interesting, does anybody know if it still excists?


There are a least a couple from this day, both taken in front of 462 Alabama Avenue in Memphis. The vehicle was confirmed by our own bripet56 as a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe. The $50.00 his parents paid for the car is about $430.00 in today's world, a huge investment for the cash-strapped Presley family.


530400_w Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe_462 Alabama_01.JPG


530400_w Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe_462 Alabama_02.JPG


Dig the perm Elvis wears, in emulation of movie star hero Tony Curtis, and the extremely long sideburns and pipe! It must have been awesome to have a car to drive as a senior in high school, the sense of fun and freedom is unforgettable.

Does the 1942 Lincoln still exist? No idea, but one suspects it's long gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:39 pm

This is what the car would have looked like as new.
42 Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe.jpg


Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 am

Here's a front shot of one that is forsale- could be Elvis'!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 am

I know it would be amazing if it still excists, but i don't have my hopes up. Anyway it's good to see how it looked like as the pictures of Elvis with his is not the best, but anyone who knows more about Elvis' car is welcome to share more on the facebook group called Elvis' Graceland Garage, about his cars and motorcycles that i have created. This is the start of a bookproject as i have missed a book on this subject for years, so any help with any cars or motorcycles he had is good News 8)

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:26 am

ElvisNor wrote:I know it would be amazing if it still excists, but i don't have my hopes up. Anyway it's good to see how it looked like as the pictures of Elvis with his is not the best, but anyone who knows more about Elvis' car is welcome to share more on the facebook group called Elvis' Graceland Garage, about his cars and motorcycles that i have created. This is the start of a bookproject as i have missed a book on this subject for years, so any help with any cars or motorcycles he had is good News 8)


What is the page link?

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:02 am

promiseland wrote:Here's a front shot of one that is forsale- could be Elvis'!


Sorry, this could not be Elvis´ as it´s not a Club Coupe.
However, that is what the front would have looked like on Elvis´ Club Coupe.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:29 am

bripet56 wrote:
promiseland wrote:Here's a front shot of one that is forsale- could be Elvis'!


Sorry, this could not be Elvis´ as it´s not a Club Coupe.
However, that is what the front would have looked like on Elvis´ Club Coupe.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

What is different on the Club Coupe?
And what is it in the original photo of Elvis with the Zephyr that distinguishes it from a Club Coupe without seeing the entire car? :smt017

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Here's a link to the facebook group, ask for membership and i'll let you in: https://www.facebook.com/groups/4017805 ... 7/?fref=ts

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 pm

The Club Coupe is a 5 window, the Coupe is 3 Window. In the picture of Elvis you can see that it isn't Coupe or a 4 door model, i hope that answers Your question promiseland?

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 pm

a coupe is a two door

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:33 am

The Club Coupe is a 5 window 2 door, the Coupe is a 3 window 2 door. The picture shows a 4 door.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:26 am

ElvisNor wrote:The Club Coupe is a 5 window 2 door, the Coupe is a 3 window 2 door. The picture shows a 4 door.


You said that already. Just so we're clear, that visual distinction is limited in this case to the Zephyr and not necessarily other brands. Traditionally a "club coupe" means a two door with a larger rear seat.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:38 am

I just thought i didn't make the difference clearly enough, i'm not sure that the 3 window Coupe has a backseat at all. Isn't that what they called a business coupe back then? I've never seen any of these here in Norway, but i know other models called a 3 window coupe for a business coupe and those had a large and open trunk all the way to the frontseats...

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:32 pm

ElvisNor wrote:I just thought i didn't make the difference clearly enough,...


I thought the same thing.

My point is that the emphasis of definition is not on the number of windows. The terms and their meanings get lost over time. Take deuce coupe for instance. On the surface it sounds redundant since coupe means two door and deuce means two. In actuality a deuce coupe refers to a 1932 ford model B and the deuce is meant to identify the year of introduction (2). Ok, back to Elvis cars.

Re: Elvis first car - the 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisNor wrote:Elvis got his first car for his 18th birthday from his parents, but i've only seen this one picture of it and there's not much history to gi with it either. Does anyone know any more info, stories or pictures of it? Or most interesting, does anybody know if it still excists?


There are a least a couple from this day, both taken in front of 462 Alabama Avenue in Memphis. The vehicle was confirmed by our own bripet56 as a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe. The $50.00 his parents paid for the car is about $430.00 in today's world, a huge investment for the cash-strapped Presley family.


530400_w Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe_462 Alabama_01.JPG


530400_w Lincoln Zephyr Club Coupe_462 Alabama_02.JPG


Dig the perm Elvis wears, in emulation of movie star hero Tony Curtis, and the extremely long sideburns and pipe! It must have been awesome to have a car to drive as a senior in high school, the sense of fun and freedom is unforgettable.

Does the 1942 Lincoln still exist? No idea, but one suspects it's long gone.


Hello Drjohncarpenter

Since you have disabled your e-mail, can you please send me an e-mail to steinar@elvisinorge.no? I would like to get contact with you about the possibility to use these pictures for my project, so a personal contact would mean a lot to me...

Yours sincerely

Steinar Elvis Lyshaug