Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:14 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-ELVIS-PRES ... 4174a655b0

Mississippi

Re: New to me from "Jailhouse Rock"

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:21 pm

thanks for the link,new to me too

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Mississippi wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-ELVIS-PRESLEY-JAILHOUSE-ROCK-HAIR-CUT-CLIPPING-/281129932208

Mississippi

Neat. Here is the clipping, from UPI:

570500_Jailhouse Rock UPI photo.JPG

570500_Jailhouse Rock UPI photo_DETAIL.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:26 am

An alternative can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55489&hilit=+jailhouse+rock

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:09 am

Never seen that picture.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 pm

It has appeared in fan magazines during late 50s. Possibly Hep Cats or Dig.

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Th cipping that is auctioned off on Ebay comes from the frontpage of the Memphis Press Scimitar, June 18, 1957.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:50 pm

bripet56 wrote:Th cipping that is auctioned off on Ebay comes from the frontpage of the Memphis Press Scimitar, June 18, 1957.

Nice to have a date for the article!

If I may, bripet56, how do you know this is a front-page Memphis Press-Scimitar feature -- do you have access to an archive?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Th cipping that is auctioned off on Ebay comes from the frontpage of the Memphis Press Scimitar, June 18, 1957.

If I may, bripet56, how do you know this is a front-page Memphis Press-Scimitar feature -- do you have access to an archive?

Yes? No??

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, not anymore, but when I did the research for my book I spent a couple of days at the University in Memphis digging through the Press scimitar so I have copies of (I hope) every mention of Elvis in that paper from 1954-1958 plus a couple more months.

I also have a number of clippings from the Commercial Appeal but nothing near complete for those years.

Here´s my copy from the microfilm.
570618-MPS-pg1-bripet56.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 am

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

No, not anymore, but when I did the research for my book I spent a couple of days at the University in Memphis digging through the Press scimitar so I have copies of (I hope) every mention of Elvis in that paper from 1954-1958 plus a couple more months.

I also have a number of clippings from the Commercial Appeal but nothing near complete for those years.

Here´s my copy from the microfilm.

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure you would agree that a quality 12x12 book compiling all the photos and stories from the Memphis Press-Scimitar relating to Elvis during his career, from July 1954 to August 1977, would make for a valuable and fascinating reference, one of the most essential books on Presley ever. Yes, it would be a mighty undertaking, but the subject is worth the effort.

Maybe someday.

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm sure you would agree that a quality 12x12 book compiling all the photos and stories from the Memphis Press-Scimitar relating to Elvis during his career, from July 1954 to August 1977, would make for a valuable and fascinating reference, one of the most essential books on Presley ever.

That's a cool idea...I would definitely buy a copy!