Post here your Elvis' pictures

Candid of Elvis in Tampa at the Armory, colorized.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Again for those who like this kin d of thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Candid of Elvis in Tampa at the Armory, colorized.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 pm

cool

The one you did with the Cadillacs went over very well. A lot of people really liked it. I sent a copy of a print to Scotty today along with the Hayride one you did. I also used a small version of the Mosque Theater one you did in a post on the Facebook page for a lead in to the page on Richmond. I think more people are "liking" it for the pic than for reading the page.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:37 pm

rizzy56 wrote:Again for those who like this kin d of thing.

Thanks for sharing this great shot, rizzy56.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:47 am

Very nice!

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 am

rizzy, you do very nice work.

Still, I find myself questioning the wisdom of altering the historical record.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't think there is any problem with colorizing black and white photos if done well, your not changing any history. The black and white is still there for all to see and enjoy. Colorizing and photo restoration is a skill and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here's one I did that was used on a Compact 33" single recently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:24 am

javierTCB wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:Again for those who like this kin d of thing.

Thanks for sharing this great shot, rizzy56.

I am glad you like it mate ::rocks

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 am

Wolf wrote:Very nice!

Thankyou Wolf :D

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 am

MaryAnn wrote:rizzy, you do very nice work.

MaryAnn first of all thankyou!
But when you say ''Altering'' means too me I have added something that was not original in the photo itself! or I have removed something that was original in the photo.
They historical record is all there intact! But what you are referring too is that the colors I have used maybe inaccurate.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 am

ArtyMorty wrote:I don't think there is any problem with colorizing black and white photos if done well, your not changing any history. The black and white is still there for all to see and enjoy. Colorizing and photo restoration is a skill and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here's one I did that was used on a Compact 33" single recently.

First of all I could not agree more with you. Youre colorized photo looks great why don't you post more of youre work on here ?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 am

JamesVRoy wrote:cool

The one you did with the Cadillacs went over very well. A lot of people really liked it. I sent a copy of a print to Scotty today along with the Hayride one you did. I also used a small version of the Mosque Theater one you did in a post on the Facebook page for a lead in to the page on Richmond. I think more people are "liking" it for the pic than for reading the page.

James I am really happy that the photo of Elvis with the Cadillacs in the background went down well! But its the reading on your page that goes over better for any Elvis fan.
For the Mosque Theater picture you used on facebook, is just apicture folks may not have seen in color before are were fooled!! but hey it makes for great advertisement That's leads to atrue roots of rock n roll site.
And thankyou for helping me out on the Tampa photo james, it's very much appreciated.
Ian

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 am

Forgot to say james...let me know what Scotty thinks of them pic's.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:54 am

rizzy56 wrote:

But when you say ''Altering'' means too me I have added something that was not original in the photo itself! or I have removed something that was original in the photo.
They historical record is all there intact! But what you are referring too is that the colors I have used maybe inaccurate.

Hi, rizzy.

I agree with your definition of "altering." You did add something that was not original in the photo itself -- color. To that extent, it has been altered.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:25 am

MaryAnn wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:

Hi, rizzy.

I agree with your definition of "altering." You did add something that was not original in the photo itself -- color. To that extent, it has been altered.

Yes MaryAnn everything in the photo above is ''altered.'' But only in the rainbow spectrum. Look i am afan of the history channel and when I see footage of World War II that has been colorized just adds to my delight! ..unless badley done.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:07 am

MaryAnn wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:

Hi, rizzy.

If one could confirm that all the colors are an exact match of the moment, I'd feel better about it.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 am

rizzy56 wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:

Hi, rizzy.

Yes MaryAnn everything in the photo above is ''altered.'' But only in the rainbow spectrum. Look i am afan of the history channel and when I see footage of World War II that has been colorized just adds to my delight! ..unless badley done.

It's an interesting discussion. I'm also a fan of the history channel, but I'm not a fan of colorized classic movies or historical film footage. Depending on your POV, that's either being a purist -- or hopelessly old-fashioned. (I'd like to think I'm the first, but I'm rapidly resigning myself to being the latter. :) )

The black-and-white medium seems to automatically place things in history and gives a certain ethereal quality to the images captured on the film. Ansel Adams... Al Wertheimer -- the light, the shadow, the "graininess" -- so perfectly suited to the subject. Sometimes, color can distract from the essence of the subject and make it seem, well... ordinary.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm fine with colorizing pics, in general. For me it adds a little different perspective.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:14 pm

MaryAnn wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:

Hi, rizzy.

It's an interesting discussion. I'm also a fan of the history channel, but I'm not a fan of colorized classic movies or historical film footage. Depending on your POV, that's either being a purist -- or hopelessly old-fashioned. (I'd like to think I'm the first, but I'm rapidly resigning myself to being the latter. :) )

The black-and-white medium seems to automatically place things in history and gives a certain ethereal quality to the images captured on the film. Ansel Adams... Al Wertheimer -- the light, the shadow, the "graininess" -- so perfectly suited to the subject. Sometimes, color can distract from the essence of the subject and make it seem, well... ordinary.

I think its amatter of personal taste! some of us are purist, while others are just old fashioned. But lets not forget that not every picture that Al Wertheimer took of Elvis were B/W..

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:08 am

You are so right, rizzy, It is definitely a matter of personal taste.

Do you know if Al Wertheimer has ever colorized any of his original B&W photos of Elvis?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:15 am

MaryAnn wrote:You are so right, rizzy, It is definitely a matter of personal taste.

Do you know if Al Wertheimer has ever colorized any of his original B&W photos of Elvis?

Now MaryAnn no need to be sarcastic with me! I was only pointing out ''That Wertheimer'' also took photos of Elvis in color!! For instance here is aphoto of Elvis on the train in B/W. And one took afew seconds later in color.
Now does the 2nd photo automatically take away the light, the shadow, and "graininess" so perfectly suited, from the first photo? no of course it does not but now you are going to tell me that you are A purist and old fashioned.
Just not afight I can win.
Forgot to add its more than likely the first one is in color.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 am

Hey, rizzy. You got me there, my friend. :)

A personal observation... the top photo is incredibly powerful, and I'm glad it's not colorized. The second photo (without Elvis's mesmerizing eye contact) is "softer" and lends itself to colorization.

Al Wertheimer, artist that he is, has the right to make the call. It is his original work, after all.

I appreciate all of the experts on this forum that constantly point out that posted photos are reversed, cropped, photo-shopped, etc. Hopefully, dedicated experts will be around for a long time to clarify, identify, and distinguish original work from subsequent altered work. However much we may appreciate the "improved" version of images, it still seems important to acknowledge that it is altered work. (Rizzy, to your credit, you always do this. Thank you.)

Technology is moving at warp speed, and I fear that as time goes by, less and less attention may be paid to such things, irrevocably blurring the line between what was original and what has been "enhanced."

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:11 am

MaryAnn wrote:Hey, rizzy. You got me there, my friend. :)

A personal observation... the top photo is incredibly powerful, and I'm glad it's not colorized. The second photo (without Elvis's mesmerizing eye contact) is "softer" and lends itself to colorization.

Al Wertheimer, artist that he is, has the right to make the call. It is his original work, after all.

I appreciate all of the experts on this forum that constantly point out that posted photos are reversed, cropped, photo-shopped, etc. Hopefully, dedicated experts will be around for a long time to clarify, identify, and distinguish original work from subsequent altered work. However much we may appreciated the "improved" version of images, it still seems important to acknowledge that it is altered work. (Rizzy, to your credit, you always do this. Thank you.)

Technology is moving at warp speed, and I fear that as time goes by, less and less attention may be paid to such things, irrevocably blurring the line between what was original and what has been "enhanced."

MaryAnn you just maybe right and the 2nd photo is colorized? and if so he has anice team of experts doing this. but lets not forget we have seen color photos that Wertheimer took that were printed many moons ago brfore Technology really took ahold.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:16 am

rizzy, I have absolutely NO idea about that 2nd photo.

Was the original shot by AW in color? Or was the original shot in B&W? Did Al himself subsequently hire someone to colorize it? Or did someone else just decide to colorize it? Do any of the answers matter?